1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Lunch Ideas - Creating Balanced Vegetarian Meals

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by Shanvy, Dec 13, 2013.

1. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

today is poornima, margazhi first day.. early morning it was rava kesari and ven pongal that was offered to god in the complex..got a bit of it.

so today plate is simple food with no spices..
    20131216_140234.jpg

home made multigrain atta pulkas, white pumpkin+chana+moong dal kootu, plantain roasted, peas+carrots, curds and that is a chutney or thokku..

The oil from the little coconut that was ground into the kootu is shining!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

now guess what that could be?? something that cannot be guessed unless you are following my posts..

2. mahesaran

mahesaran IL Hall of Fame

Thank you so much for the detailed reply regarding my doubts.
    past two weeks I am noticing that even brown rice , daliya, is not ok for me.....ie for weightloss. Hereafter I have to experiment with barley...... Thanks for the measurements and link about barley. :)
    Are those veggies in your plate enough for you? Sorry for this question( morning itself I typed, but erased as feel hesitated to ask this, but now I couldn't stop me).
    regarding pickles.... No powders or spices ? So it is No cook pickle... Really.... If so , so so so nice of you..... I have beets and carrots now.... I will try today itself while preparing dinner...

3 people like this.
  3. sreemanavaneeth

sreemanavaneeth Gold IL'ite

Hai friend,

highly balanced meal with good energy gave my eyes more energy .Tks for sharing

1 person likes this.
  4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

mahe actually i eat some fruits or vegetable salad around 11.00..because my breakfast is always in a hurry with the kids keeping me on my feet. and around 4.30 i again have something to eat mostly a cookie/apple/bun or something that i do make.. so it is more than enough.

actually that plate of mine will be around 300+ calories mahe.. these are only my lunch plates..i keep eating fruits and vegetables that i am allowed to eat frequently.
    and no i don't mind your asking.

if you like the sour,heat and salt taste then you can make manga inji, turmeric, amla, beets, carrots, and many other vegetables like this that you like. even chillies soaked in salt and lime juice taste great.

i try these because i restrict the regular pickles to a lot. i make some of the yummiest avakkai and i don't eat that ..that is where these chutneys and pickles come handy.

5 people like this.
  5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

sree, long time. where are you these days..too busy..do join and share your ideas too..

6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

1 person likes this.
  7. mahesaran

mahesaran IL Hall of Fame

Shanthi mam, finished preparing pickle... Stored it in fridge... Tasted few pieces ... Really tangy.......thank you once again for this wonderful, no oil, no cook pickle:goodidea:

even I like pickle very much with kottu and sambhar rice....but because of weight issues, I avoid my mom's pickle.( she won't compromise oil for any thing).... Yesterday after seeing your pickle, fortunately I read lime/vinegar pickle, but it is not Indian... So I asked you.

Regarding veggies..... Really I doubt it .. How it is enough ? Now got cleared... I am having ulcer, may be because of that every 2-2:30 hr I feel hungry.... Thanks for the immediate reply

Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
    2 people like this.
  8. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

yesterday evening was vegetable buying. bought this cauliflower that was sold with the whole stalk as such..(the stalk weighed .5kg..and paying 45/50rs for a head of cauliflower with too much stalk is way too much...) the stalk reminded me of the good old days when i lived in north and this aunty used to make danthal khi sabji with the stalk and fresh leaves of cauliflower. i only use the stalk because the leaves are not that fresh. but when fresh the leaves of cauliflower are just as good as that of beetroot and radhish. (some day i will list the number of greens i have eaten). this morning the kids had poori and danthal khi sabji for breakfast.

my lunch today is pearl millet(kambu saadam) , horsegram rasam(kollu), ladys finger sabji (just sauted with a little salt and sambhar powder, in a spoon of oil),gobi ke dhanthal +peas sabji, curd.. hot piping rasam with kambu was to die for...

20131217_132055.jpg

3 people like this.
  9. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

yes. allow it to soak for a day or two and eat. ulcer or no ulcer eating small meals is the key. i had ulcers. so i always have fruits or vegetables that can be eaten in the fridge. if nothing i have bran biscuits to control the acidity.reducing the use of tamarind will also help

1 person likes this.
  10. Bavishya

Bavishya Platinum IL'ite

Wow shanvy thanks for sharing and encouaging us and thanks for the photos to,so that we r knowing everything thanks dear

1 person likes this.