1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Lunch Ideas - Creating Balanced Vegetarian Meals

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by Shanvy, Dec 13, 2013.

1. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

foxmillet is the rice subs, methi seeds sprout+ lady's finger tangy sambhar, choyote sabji (chow-chow), moong pepper papad mw, pirandai(bonesetter) chutney and curds..

(I am clicking before i eat from my mobile. when i am eating alone, that is without the kids at home, i just arrange everything in my plate and just come away from the kitchen..this also helps me from going for that forbidden avakkai or some extra salt..and makes my mind believe my plates is piled too..)
    20131211_131611.jpg

Doree, maggi32, Indhradhanu and 9 others like this.
  2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

no yaar, it does not work. so i stopped it immediately.

3. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Shanvy,
    Thought of adding mine today! I had two 15 bean adai(oil free),onion tamarind chutney(healthy version),
    sprouted moong channa subzi, home made minestrone and a salad(spinach, match stick carrots, tomatoes, sweet peppers) with vinegar, pepper and Italian seasoning as dressing. Not 100% South Indian but thought of adding.

All this combined came upto 283 cals.
    image.jpg

Doree, maggi32, singam2 and 10 others like this.
  4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Laks09

love it. I titled it such because i often hear more murmurs from people who believe it is diffcult to balance food for people who eat rice. sometimes it is the exploration into other territory that is lacking (not all, if it was so we would not be having so many eating joints..) and also the myth that healthy food or food that is for weight loss is not going to be tasty.

it is all about the spices and the balance and our positivity that adds to that taste..the extra zing.

i loved your plate so much..

i have read from sravani about this mixed bean that you get there..so nice that it is all ready mixed. got the idea and i am mixing a few here at home. will start using it for soups and steamed ones soon.

4 people like this.
  5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

the original 15 bean that is available in us..

Northern, Pinto, Large Lima, Blackeye, Garbanzo, Baby Lima, Green Split, Kidney, Cranberry, Small White, Pink, Small Red, Yellow Split, Lentil, Navy, White Kidney, Black Bean.

indianised version that i have thought about if anyone is interested!!! it is all about mix and match of the available..

1. chana white
    2. chana brown
    3. soya bean
    4. lima beans (double beans) big
    5. double beans small
    6. masoor dal
    7. tuvar dal
    8. chana dal
    9. white cow peas karamani
    10. red cow peas
    11. rajma
    12. white peas
    13. green peas.
    14. horesgram (kollu)
    15. whole urad dal black.
    16. pink spotted beans (labelled rajma locally)
    17. thattapayaru..(it is also called cow pea..it is a a red version sized like our moong..)
    18 groundnuts
    19 green chana

There are a few more that i am aware but do not have the names in english. will think, and if i can't find, will post pictures once i capture them.

P.S. of all that i have listed, i don't use white peas, i find it not suitable for my digestive system. other i use them individually in my cooking..

PLK, sugnav, vjbunny and 12 others like this.
  6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

yesterday had guests so no click of my thali. but this is what i had.

1 bowl of brown rice, 1 big bowl of tadka daal, capsicum+carrot sabji, shredded cabbage +cucumber and curds...

5 people like this.
  7. mahesaran

mahesaran IL Hall of Fame

wow Shanthi mam.....Sorry to interrupt.
    I have to praise you and clarify my doubts...
    First of all thank you for the inspiration for the South Indian meals without rice. I am using barley only for soup. After seeing your plate only i have an idea to use barley as a main course.
    I have so much of doubts. Pl share or give me the links for the following doubts..
    !. How to get / cook barley as separate grains.? I am just pressure cooking it for soups for 5- 7 whistle and then add the veggies for the soups.
    2. How to prepare less oil/ oil less beet-carrot pickle? Have you tried any oil less pickle(with lime/vinegar)?

1 person likes this.
  8. manjubashini

manjubashini IL Hall of Fame

Shanthi Thanks for list of mixed beans. Love to add up green moong my ever time favourite.

2 people like this.
  9. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

thanks mahe, there is nothing called interupption. it is just an idea that was given to me by a friend. so posting.

barley even i used to make just juices and soups. later i slowly started feeling that i was wasting too much grain while making juices. by chance i found roasted barley powder in one of the shops, i tried using it for my baking and rotis..then slowly thought i should make use of hte grains tht remain after the usage in juices (This is regular.i replace barley water for orange, lemon, ginger and mint juices..)

I don't take any special efforts for cooking barley these days. i pressure cook in a small box on top of the regular rice i make for the kids.wash well. for 1/4 cup of barley add 1.5 cup of water....most of the days there is no excess water. if there i leave it as it if i am going to eat it with rasam or sambhar, or curds. otherwise i strain the water and make a juice for my DD. and for the soups and juices switched over to powdered barley..works more econonmical.
    Stir Fried Vegetables with Barley..or should I say Vegetable Barley.. - Blogs - IndusLadies

low cal oats cookies and coconut chocolate muffins. - Blogs - IndusLadies

mahe honestly i cook just like that it is more of a experimental variety. just a small idea that gets executed somedays. pickled beets without oil is nothing but

just soak in lemon juice just 2 tblsp for a 500g bottle..the vegetables leave water too... i add carrots, cauliflower,beetroots, tender ginger, green chillies for spiciness. and some salt.. mix it and leave it in the fridge. many use vinegar but for me its lemon juice. my dd loves this. a bottle empties in a week..good way to eat veggies..

I used to make the mango ginger, turmeric this way..and moved over to pickling vegetables..

very less oil chutneys, thokkus are also made at home..but they are fast moving so no issues with spoiling. the regular thokkus chutneys with just a drop of oil to saute the chilli, urad dal and tamarind...

9 people like this.
  10. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

i know i know i missed it..(Read leslie style..) actually i started with moong somehow i deleted that when i posted by mistake...

look at the abundance of legume,pulses that we have to play around..only thing is our interest and patience and ofcourse the most important effort..

4 people like this.