Indian Ladies in Houston - Meet here!

Discussion in 'Indians in Houston' started by Induslady, Jul 16, 2006.

1. Abeeb44

Abeeb44 New IL'ite

Hi Archana,

Welcome to our club!! Yes I know exactly how you feel. So where do u work? I live near galleria too. What Visa are u in?
    I think meeting up would be a splendid idea.

Abi

2. Abeeb44

Abeeb44 New IL'ite

Hi Meenloch, Sushi,
    How are u all doing?
    Yes there are very few hang out spots in houston. We go to Meenakshi temple, Galleria , bowling near my place and some weekends we just drive to Galveston.

Have you girls been to herman park? Its a great place to hang out during the weekends. There s a lovely garden center and a zoo. They grow almost all kinds of roses. Theres boating and a train inside the park.

Sushi,

Whats Market street? Never been there....

Meenloch,

How was Bourne ultimatum? My husband wanted to go last weekend....but we went to ratattouille instead :)

Abi

Last edited: Aug 24, 2007
  3. Sushila

Sushila New IL'ite

Hi Abee,

Market Street is near Woodlands Mall, its cool for a evening walk.....
    Chk this out.....this might help...

Market Street - The Woodlands

Sushi

4. MeenLoch

MeenLoch Silver IL'ite

Abi,
    Bourne Ultimatum was nice, except tht it was too fast for me, someone who saw part 1 ( borune identity) and not 'bourne supremacy'..
    My husband got the second part from Netflix which we are watching like 4 episodes., during dinner. So i am relating scenes now.

After watching the bourne's, I want to go all around the world. The crew shud have had fun. In 'Ultimatum', madrid and morocco are the locations. 'Supremacy' has Berlin, Russia and Goa.

We went to woodlands once, lovely place. In fact my husband is thinking about even shifting there.We are in Northwest part now. Woddlands is due north. Only thing holding us is it ll get too far for him to travel to work.

Thanks for the suggestions ladies. Herman Park and Market Street and Swaminarayana Temple. Superb. Should fill the time for 3 weekends.
    Meanwhile we are also planning for a trip to Galveston and Dallas.

PS - A small query. Do you get curry leaves here ? HEBs don't have them. I asked. Also Pudina comes as a small bunch. what do you all do for pudina. HEBs have basil /tulsi leaves which we can grow at home.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2007
  5. Sushila

Sushila New IL'ite

Hi Meenloch,

I get my curry leaves and mint from Hongkong market. Indian stores also carry curry leaves. Try any Asian food market near your place, your sure to have them both there at a very reasonable price.

Sushi

6. Abeeb44

Abeeb44 New IL'ite

Hi Meenloch,
    I watched Bourne Identity ( we have a blockbuster online subs) but not supremacy. Guess from what u say Ultimatum would be a hit too.

I buy most of my grocery from Fiesta. They have lotsa stores in houston. I go to the store in I-10. You can almost get all our indian veggies, curry leaves, mint, all kindsa fruits, milk,yogart, spices etc. They even have separate sections for each country like India, pakistan,etc. So u can even grab all ur indian grocery at the same place. See if u can find a store near ur place. Its quite cheap too. You can also go to all these chinese shops in Bellaire.

I want to grow some herbs in my Patio. Only very few plant nurseries carry herbs especially mint. So planning to buy some herbs this weekend. Do u know any good nursery around here where I can buy herbs?

Abi

7. MeenLoch

MeenLoch Silver IL'ite

Abi,
    HEB has it. They have the ones u can grow. Comes with roots.. Fresh veggies are too good at HEB. Also their tortillas and ice creams are great.

Fiesta - Shall check it this time.

Thanks for the info - Sushi and Abi..

8. MeenLoch

MeenLoch Silver IL'ite

And there is another piece of information I would like to know. Our house contract expires in 2 months time.. So we are looking for other options..This area seems great, but would like a change of place too.
    How much is the rent in your places. I mean for a single bedroom / double bedroom apts ?
    Any reliable site that I can get the info from ?

Guess as a new entrant to houston, I have too may questions..Hope other new houstonites find it useful..

by the way did anybody come for Sonu Nigam s concert that happened in Berry Centre on 25 th ? It was simply superb...

9. Abeeb44

Abeeb44 New IL'ite

Hi

Hi Meenloch,
    Yes HEB's are quite good. Have you ever been to Central market near River oaks? Its one of HEB's stores. Check it out sometime. Its simply amazing!
    I Know that they sell Basil and Chives but Ive never seen Mint plants. Will check out some other HEB store.

Actually there are pretty good areas in houston. I used to live in Hollister in a single bedroom. We paid around 700 excluding utilities. The area was Ok. Now I live in yorktown in a double bedroom. We pay 980. Area is simply superb. You can walk to galleria, grocery stores, Library, Restaurants,etc.

Apartments.com - Free Nationwide Apartment Search with the Most Visual Rental Listings Online. is a very reliable site. You can also see craigslist - community classifieds.

Good luck with ur appartment search :)

Sushi,

I went to woodlands mall and Market street Yday evening. Market street was great. Loved it !

Abi

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2008
  10. Sushila

Sushila New IL'ite

Hi Abi,

Gud u liked it....I was there in the mall saturday evening...:)

Sushi