Indian Groceries - Mustafa vs online/other shops that do home delivery

Discussion in 'Shopping/Restaurants in Singapore' started by AkilaMani, Jul 3, 2013.

1. Malinigavas

Malinigavas New IL'ite

Hi all..
    I used to buy frm mustafa... But aft cumn to know abut the Abdul rahim brothers stores on upper Dickson road, I m not getting anything frm outside shops. Though, little bit costly they do have varieties f goods to choose frm.. Dey deliver at home if it's more dan $100

2. pooja2907

pooja2907 New IL'ite

hi Akila
    Yes I agree there is price difference in Mustafa and all other stores. Anytime Mustafa prices are better than others. I have compared the prices, even if your bill is as small as say 20$, Mustafa you would definitely get it at 19$.

Only the downside is you have to roam a lot in Mustafa to get all things in your list.

AkilaMani likes this.
  3. RekhaRai24

RekhaRai24 New IL'ite

Hi friends,

I'm quite new to this forum. Would like to share my thoughts on getting groceries online. You can try ordering from dei.com.sg. Shops from Little India are on this portal and it's much easier to order instead of going to Karthika's, Jothi's & Mustaffa's individually. They do home delivery so that saves the hassle of walking around Mustaffa's. Hope this helps.

4. AkilaMani

AkilaMani Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Pooja,

Welcome to Indusladies :)

Yes, its true, in Mustafa there is a lot of roaming about to get all the things we need :(

But now I have found a new store in Little India with has almost all the groceries I need, cheaper than Mustafa,and the best thing is, there are a few things we can get in loose like dal, rice, cashews etc. I like to reduce the use of plastic bags as much as possible, so getting things in loose means I can take my own drawstring bags to get these items and they also let me take the things in my own bags... so no plastic bags there also :) This shop is called All India Supermart, located in Norris Road. You can find them online. Do have a look around there if you are interested :)

5. pooja2907

pooja2907 New IL'ite

Great, this Saturday morning I am off there..
    Roaming in Little India on Saturday morning is fun..

AkilaMani likes this.
  6. AkilaMani

Hi Pooja,

I too will be there (hopefully) on Saturday morning around 10.30 + :)

7. sangrag

sangrag Silver IL'ite

I have tried purchasing in all India Supermart , we bought some groceries, fruits and Vegas and rice 10 kg it's very cheaper , quality is same as what we buy in our locality...

AkilaMani likes this.
  8. AkilaMani

Hi Sangrag,
    If you are interested to take your own bags for groceries and for even veggies, they allow it. For vegetables, you will have to inform the cashier first, they inform the veg section staff to assist in weighing out items without plastic bags :)

9. sangrag

sangrag Silver IL'ite

Oh I see, will try next time akila- thanks

10. meow

meow New IL'ite

Since the last couple of months or so, Mustafa has stopped stocking good frozen grated coconut. Therefore I now purchase whole coconuts from Aboorva's just opp Mustafa (next to Murugan). I ask them to just break open the coconut for me, we grate it on our own at home and freeze it. Coconuts here are better than All India Mart.

For those who want to explore online ordering - note that prices at Murugan / other online retailers are $0.50 to $2 higher per item generally, compared to Mustafa. Therefore if you plan to purchase many items, a cab ride back from Mustafa may actually work out cheaper than online ordering (depending on where you stay).

For general items such as soaps, detergents, milk etc - Fairprice or Sheng Siong or Prime are okay (sometimes their prices are better than Mustafa)
    I avoid Cold Storage . Their prices are high, and I've had bad experiences with the quality of fruits/veggies.
    I am a vegetarian therefore unable to comment on where to purchases non-veg from.

Thanks.