1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Indian government bans lentils export!

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by sunitha, Jul 3, 2006.

1. Selvi

Selvi Senior IL'ite

Here is the link from Hindu paper..
    http://www.hindu.com/2006/06/30/stories/2006063003141300.htm

Here around detroit all the stores are almost out of Toor dal. Even the stores which have this dal are limiting one per person with much higher price for them . Im glad I have stocked some packs of 4lbs-$6.99each.

:)

Last edited: Jul 18, 2006
  2. vaishnavilakshmi

vaishnavilakshmi Bronze IL'ite

hi,,

Whats happening?No progress!No updates as such..The prices are on topmost hill...How long will this go on?

Cheers,
    Vaishu

3. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Hi friends,
    Same problem here also. I got the news last year from my friend that prices are going to go up, as the exports are limite. I was there in India at that time, he asked to stock up as much as I want. But alas! fearing for the overweight of luggages ,I came with only 2 kgs. of toordal.( i already had stocked before the news.) What a stupidity! I thought everything will be alright in few months. but the situation is not satisfactory. In my place 1 montha back it was 6.99 per 4 lbs. and this week it is 11.99 per 4 lbs. When asked for a store brand which might be less than the brand names, the shopkeeper answered that the store brand is also of the same price. this is due to curtailing of exports once more. all other dals also are highly priced.
    as other ladies pointed out we should try new recipes without dhal and make use of dhal very little.
    As my children and myself are going to India this summer, I thought of stocking more than the previous one.
    Hope everything turns out good sooner.
    Sriniketan