Indian couple have had their children taken away...

Discussion in 'News & Politics' started by Aspire, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Aspire

Aspire Gold IL'ite

I read and heard the news today that an Indian couple have had their children taken away by Norwegian social workers because they were feeding them with their hands and sleeping in the same bed as them.

Anurup and Sagarika Bhattacharya lost custody of their three-year-old son and one-year-old daughter eight months ago after Norway authorities branded their behaviour inappropriate.

Whats happening?

2. flowerlady

flowerlady IL Hall of Fame

It appears the parents went to see a doctor for the change in behaviour of their child and all the rest happened afterwards.
    The Norwegians sent counsellors who were appalled to see kids sleeping in their parents bed and the Mom using her hands to feed the kid.They said that the Mom was unfit to look after her kids and put the kids in foster homes.
    Now it appears the Indian govt has stepped in and is trying to help the couple.

3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Norway is in the news regarding its stringent laws for protecting children. infact i think it has the highest number of cases where children were moved from the parents to the foster care system. apart from sleeping in the same bed, they have also quoted that the mother was lacking in taking care of the son who attended school.after close watch on the son, the matter went to the watch dog (i forget the name something that goes by b@##t.) the country feels feeding by hand is force feeding and sleeping on the same bet as inappropriate in their culture..well norway should have woken up and did a little more analysis on culture and differences when they have so much vested interest in bollywood...maybe they need a dosage of our old movies where the mother feeds from a bowl standing out in the open under the stars showing the moon..seriously ..

What really irritates me is there is a indication that if the couple were to seperate the government would hand over the custody of the kids to the father who is a geoscientist and holds a good position. poor mom gets penalised for showing a little post partum lassitude (i assume so)

well here i thought the country was rated as the safest one to live, no wonder if they were so suspicious. (i dare not use any terms lest i get caught for using my freedom of expression.)

5 people like this.
  4. Aspire

Aspire Gold IL'ite

Mom's using hand to feed kid is common in India and kids sleeping with their parents. Guess a case of misunderstanding of culture. But still separating the kids from the parents for this is ridiculous.

2 people like this.
  5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Bamevernet is the social services of norway.

i still feel there is more to this case. the mother has been known to shout and cry and the boy was seen banging his head on the floor and not listening to the teacher at school, which came under the radar. i was listening to this is some other foreign channel.

Our indian government is lethargic in its appeals. now there will hue and cry as the visa is to expire soon and the couple have to leave the country..let us see the political tamasha.

6. Aspire

Aspire Gold IL'ite

Many students do not listen to teachers at school and are playful. :biggrin2:

Mother cannot shout and cry? :idontgetit:

7. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Aspire,

I still remember one of my friends relatives case. the grandparents visited the family in us. as used to the grandparents restricted the grandson from doing something when he did not listen, the grandson called 911 stating that the gp's were abusing him. the gp's were taken into custody.and when the parents bailed the gp's the gp's refused to set foot into the house and returned back..

in this case, i only see the helpless tiredness of a mother who has to take care of a new born and also a toddler who could be very active..

1 person likes this.
  8. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Hi
    If these restrictions are there in the name of child rights God I wonder how the parents bring up their child....even trees needs to be pruned to give it good shape n growth why not kids...

2 people like this.
  9. mansimahi

mansimahi Gold IL'ite

Apparently there is more than meets the eye. While the father had a good rapport with the kids, the mother was suffering from post natal depression after the birth of the second child and therefore was under stress and used to shout at the son and even in school pta meeting she was alleged to have been rude and raised her hand to hit her son, for which the school asked the parents to seek counselling which brought in the authorities and they saw the other things like sleeping in the same bed, feeding the child by hand etc and took the kids away. It is possible tht the son is having ADHD and the mom must be tired and overworked and it is natural for her to take it out on the child on occasions.

They were on NDTV last night and the worse thing is that the visa for parents is expiring in march and they have to get back the children before then or else the poor kids will be forced to live in foster care till 18 years of age. sad indeed. The norweigian authorities have functioned in a highhanded manner.... if they had thought that the parenting was bad, they could have given the parents counselling or given some sort of warning....this is absolutely unimaginable...having a 4 month child taken away from mother.. hope our govt does something soon.

2 people like this.
  10. Aspire

Aspire Gold IL'ite

Shanvy: Thats an interesting incident.

However in any part of the world where a rule of law applies, I believe, most of the legislature of the State of the world, take into factor that the parent's right to instruct/take care their children clearly takes precedence over any State’s regulatory interest unless the public safety is endangered.

Also before a State may sever completely and irrevocably the rights of parents in their natural child, due process requires that the State support its allegations by at least clear and convincing evidence.

None of those details seem to have been shared by the media or may be I not read it in this case.