India visa on arrival - URGENT

Discussion in 'Return to India' started by peartree, May 18, 2015.

1. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

Sandhya, that's what we have finally decided. Not worth the trouble... yes, this is for the little one!

2. Deepa2014

Deepa2014 New IL'ite

Hi Peartree,
    I will check out the link. When I was talking to my Dad 3 weeks ago he gave me the information but maybe I interpreted him wrong or something...
    He was an immigration Officer(retired 3yrs ago).
    Coolest part is he was the one who signed my son's PIO card.(I applied in India) :)

Bye Bye

3. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

That is so cool!!! :)

Per the rule, as I understand it... PIOs are no longer valid and all those holding PIO will need to change it to an OCI. My older DD has a PIO as well, but we have applied to convert it to OCI.

4. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

@butterflyice

Answering here so that the other thread doesn't get hijacked! Thanks for asking :)

We applied for a regular visa yesterday. Apparently, we don't qualify for the emergency expedited because there is not emergency! The regular visa they said we will get it in 5 - 7 days, so hoping by next Friday we have it.

1 person likes this.
  5. Lathasv

Lathasv IL Hall of Fame

6. JustAnotherMom

JustAnotherMom Platinum IL'ite

@peartree

(Per the rule, as I understand it... PIOs are no longer valid and all those holding PIO will need to change it to an OCI. My older DD has a PIO as well, but we have applied to convert it to OCI)

This is news for me, although we had taken OCI for us. Good piece of information.

7. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

Yes! But my issue was totally different. My older DD has a PIO (and we have applied to convert it to OCI), but can still travel with it since it is still valid.

The problem was for my new born, younger DD. We had applied for OCI for her back in March, hoping that we would get it by Jun, but haven't got it yet. Now, we are traveling in the first week of June and still do not have her OCI. So we have now applied for a regular tourist visa. I had initially thought I would just make use of the visa on arrival for her when I learned of the 30 day limit!

8. Chitravivek

Chitravivek Platinum IL'ite

1 person likes this.
  9. Chitravivek

Chitravivek Platinum IL'ite

@peartree On the side , did you have to get the OCI forms attested when you applied?

10. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

Sorry @chitravivek. Not liking it for the time spent with the form... but I do find it funny :)