India Trips - Most Favorite/ Least Favorite Parts

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Rihana, Jun 24, 2017.

1. Sunburst

Sunburst Platinum IL'ite

Yes, the million dollar question that often comes to my mind during all these years of living in the US - is it all worth it ?

anika987 likes this.
  2. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

I read your post last night and dreamed about des all night. Now I'm crying and homesick. [​IMG]

And I want sitaphal and old newspapers. :crybaby2:

You have a gift for painting word pictures. I can visualize everything you type about. [​IMG]

SunPa and Rihana like this.
  3. Umanga

Umanga Gold IL'ite

Marvellous and utterly joyful.

Rihana likes this.
  4. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

Rihana

Have been wanting to reply to this post of your for the longest time, but life just kept getting in the way!! What beautiful nostalgia. How long ago was this, may I ask? :) The reason I ask is because I remember my older cousins experiencing exactly what you so beautifully describe... their visits back home were eagerly awaited and talked about for months before they actually came. And of course as kids, the eager anticipation of what they might bring for us... the Ferrero Rocher and Toblerone chocolates used to be the most prized possessions. I remember the kind and quantity of chocolates distributed depended on the closeness of the said relative! My mom used to save the pretty Ferrero Rocher boxes to store the expensive cashews and raisins.... ahh those days :)

I guess the novelty of it all kind of wore off (at least in my family) when it was my turn.

Rihana likes this.
  5. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

Quite often a trip can work out to be both a good thing and a horrible one. Charlie D. put it like this:
    It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,
    it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness,
    it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity,
    it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness,
    it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair​
    yada..yada...

Rihana likes this.
  6. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

When was this, you ask? : ) It was the best of times and the best of times. Another century, if you will. Around the time when great presidents like Clinton were impeached. : ) Alas.. we ow live in vastly different times. : ( We have un-impeachable president(s).

7. eternalnomad

eternalnomad Silver IL'ite

Fav parts - the hot (yes, I mean that) weather - which my skin loves, the fact that my hair dries in no time without religiously blow drying the life out of it. The food - especially fruits like mangoes when they're in season.. heaven!

Least fav parts - traveling anywhere is a major pain - especially when you live in a small town you often have to travel an hour for most shopping malls. Finding decent bathrooms when you're out - oh this is, hands down, my pet peeve. And at the risk of sounding like a snooty NRI - crossing the road with homicidal drivers zooming past like you're invisible. And of course, being stared at like you're from outer space - this is despite dressing modestly in salwars or whatnot.. so i've come to the conclusion, it's not me, it's them :p Being asked when your'e gonna have kids - this is esp annoying when you and your husband have decided that you don't ever want kids.. but of course you cant say that out loud in case you make a few brains explode

Nonya and Rihana like this.
  8. Ragini25

Ragini25 Platinum IL'ite

Whoa! wait! Clinton impeached!?? (attempt was made, he successfully thwarted)

[​IMG]

9. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

That's what I thought too. But, search for "impeached" in these two links. Looks like even if the president gets acquitted, it is still called impeached. Was news to me.

How the Impeachment Process Works
    Impeachment of Bill Clinton - Wikipedia

The NYT article says:
    "Only three presidents have been subjected to impeachment proceedings. Two were impeached but acquitted and stayed in office: Andrew Johnson in 1868 and Bill Clinton in 1998 and 1999. A third, Richard M. Nixon in 1974, resigned to avoid being impeached."

10. Ragini25

Ragini25 Platinum IL'ite