India Trips - Most Favorite/ Least Favorite Parts

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Rihana, Jun 24, 2017.

1. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

I was kidding.
    Comparing the engineered greenery of a manicured desert, the lush abandon of the tropics, and the 'wild' beauty of the English countryside tamed and cultivated is an excellent idea, but an opportunity was lost there.:wink1:

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
    Umanga likes this.
  2. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

No, we don't. We always lived in places with no airport ( at least 45 min drive so it's better to park your own car in long-term parking. I've dropped a few friends when needed but not on a regular basis. Now we live in a city with airport, it takes only 10 min to get there so we just hire a cab.

I bring a lot of sweets for all my friends though. We all love Kaju-katli so boxes and boxes of that :).

Rihana and Sandycandy like this.
  3. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

Don't do the pickup and drop off since the nearest international airport is atleast at hour away. With shuttle, UBER it's unfair to expect friends to take time off from work because one wants to save a few dollars . I do water plants , keep food along with some basic groceries though .

4. Sunburst

Sunburst Platinum IL'ite

Lovely post and you are making me so homesick . I can so relate to the part of scooty rides and going to restaurants early morning for hot breakfast . The worst part is the goodbyes and getting used to the monotony of the American Life . And where do I go to satisfy my craving for early morning vadas and coffees ? Well, make it myself :cry:

sindmani likes this.
  5. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

Thank you :) Yeah... any little thing can trigger my homesickness, even after 11 years of living here in the US! Watching movies that show the streets of Chennai or the TV ads or just watching pictures of Chennai is enough to cause a lump in my throat :-o I sometimes think I miss the physical/geographic location more than I miss the people. Of course, any weddings or any small function that all my relatives are at and a whatsapp video call from them is enough to make me brood over my decision to marry my husband!!

6. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

I miss the functions after seeing my relatives post photos in watsapp group.I always type miss u all or nice to see u all etc in group photos. Latest Shreemantham photos of my family member triggered the thought that I too wanted Shreemantham for me. (Hope all is well)Though I am happy here with my husband but I miss the fun . I miss pani puri shops in the road , vada shops in Bangalore, nearby tea shop and tea in rain(most of the days are rainy In Bangalore), I miss my favourite bike ride with my husband in the cold weather and a spicy aloo samosa.but my brain says" this a great place , u breathe freedom here". Still my thoughts sometimes goes there.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
  7. kcb

kcb IL Hall of Fame

@Rihana ......interesting thread, its bringing back the memories :)

Favorite parts - the moment when i come out of the airport terminal pushing my heavy trolley and see my family members eagerly waiting for me in the lounge looking at every passenger who comes out thinking its me and when i see the happiness & joy in my family members faces once they see me coming out and the way they run towards me and hug me. Most memorable moment for me.

Apart from the above, lots of favorite ones - eating the pani puri on the road side, travelling in the train and observing other travelers, shopping, going to a book shop and buying my favorite books and lots and lots of favorite ones I have. India is an amazing place to enjoy favorite things.

Least favorite - nothing is coming into my mind at the moment, but definitely the pollution & weather.

Sandycandy and Rihana like this.
  8. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

PT, been thinking of this post each time I WhatsApp with my pals visiting India. You've listed so many things that jogged the memory.. In random order:

I remember the month before my first trip to India. Booked the tickets after a lot of research and no less than 3 in-person visits to the travel agency. The name tags for the suitcase, I got them made and laminated at Kinko's. Are they even around any more? Kinko's? As the date came closer, I literally flew even when driving on the freeway(aaj kal paaon zameen per nahin padhte mere, was the song I often hummed).

Entire kutumb - all uncles, aunts, all cousins (and spouses) who were in town came to the airport to receive. Brought bouquets too. :blush: I felt more of a VIP than my VIP suitcases. Pehle trip ka nasha was so different. Never got replicated.

Before any trip, there used to be the drawing up of list on what items to buy for whom. It was fun. Many things were still not available in India. Even Ziploc bags or boxes were appreciated. Then, buying the big size almond and all those from Costco, that mom immediately took control over after I landed, and she decided how they got distributed. : )

Things changed after marriage. Your scooty reminded me - we took a neighbor's Kinetic Honda (scooter?) and set off. It had been my dream to ride a two wheeler with better-half in India. Aiyyoooo... my mom brought down the entire neighborhood.. Their house is right off a major street. She did not spare even damaad ji (son in law). We got a stern lecture that we are not to take such risks, and while there in that city, we were c/o her... Ha! So many restrictions even when I was visiting alone. My mom's statement: "do what you want in your in-laws house. in this house, follow rules. I have to keep you safe/intact till you leave for in-laws house or US". Ulti ganga : ) Reverse ganga. : )

Food: Oh where do I start.. One time I visited during monsoon season. Seetaphal (custard apples) were flooding the market. I hadn't had them for 6 years or more. The Man Friday of the household bought a whole butta/basket of them. I took one and went to the usual place to squat and eat. Near the waste bin of the kitchen. Mom near had an apoplectic fit. : ) : ) As it was right next to the gas cylinder. And I was parayi amanat (other's precious item) sitting close to it. I was chased away. Had to sit at the dining table and eat the custard apple.

There was this young girl (maid servant's niece or something). As she watched me eat, her eyes almost popped out when she saw me finish off 5 big size custard apples. Leaving the seeds on the newspaper that somebody kept replacing with new newspaper. : ) Was a poignant moment. Everyone realized just how much we miss of Indian things when living abroad. No one said "you will get cold/cough, don't eat so many".

Funny how shameless you can become when you've missed eating something for years. People came, people went. I sat and ate. At dinner and lunch time, I didn't eat the roti or rice. Just the curries and daals. Eyes watering, nose runny, bisleri bottle zindabad. : )

Shopping: Going to the salwar kameez store, and the guys and salesgirls there telling me how old-fashioned was the item I am wearing. Buying 9-10 dresses just like that. Hoping the credit card will work (was many years ago). Funniest was buying saree. or rather getting the blouse stitched. tailor simply refused to stitch in the style I wanted. said sleeves were too long and it was so out of style. The big fights. and telling incorrect date of departure so that he gives them soon. when he saw me in the area after the "date", we all laughed.

Shopping for chappals: Many years ago, stores in the U.S. did not have so much choice in "flat" wear. Had to get from India. My favorite shop was very popular and jam packed always. As I sat and tried out few chappals, if I stood to point to one in the show case, somebody took my spot. If I sat, I ended in their lap. : ) My shopping companion used to get mad.. "Told you, not to stand" : ) : )

Repairing wrist watch: Always took items like wrist watch and pressure cooker for repair. Oh how I miss those repair shops.

Talking of shopping - a very favorite memory remains shopping for the first time in Tanishq. To realize that such a shopping experience was possible.. so professional, so polite, even if one is not buying too much. It was beautiful. Could never bring myself to exchange that jewelry for anything.

Times are different now. Trips have a different nature. But, your post brought back some happy memories from older trips.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
  9. GoneGirl

GoneGirl Gold IL'ite

Most favorite: Seeing the love and joy in my parents, siblings and close family members' faces.. hours and hours of chat catching up with everything that has happened.
    Love that I can spend more for my family and shower them with all the gifts that I can..

Least favorite: Everytime I worry about seeing my parents again, can't bring myself to accept that they are aging and things are changing with every visit..
    I hate that my nieces and nephews grow so fast and I am not there to see that..and be part of their growing up.. feel that when I cant relate to their daily life..
    My trip reminds me everyday when am there of all the close friends, siblings and cousins that i miss spending time with when i leave... makes me question if its all worth it !

Sunburst and Sandycandy like this.
  10. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

Love that thought !