1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Inactive Polio Vaccine Query

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by Meet9, Dec 24, 2016.

1. Meet9

Meet9 Silver IL'ite

Hi All!
    I stay in US and I had my toddler was born here, he has been up to date with all the vaccines, he is 2.5 yrs old now..and I am expecting another baby next year by summer. as most of who stay here in USA know, they do not give live polio drops, rather IPV vaccine in given in 4 doses at 2, 4, 6 and later at 4-6 yrs of age..
    Now my Q is:

a) if we go to India for travel, does this IPV protect against polio virus prevalent in India, I heard they there are 3 subtypes, 1,2,and 3..2 is eradicated but recently they found it in Telangana. When I went last time to India, my son was exclusively breastfeeding , we went when he was 8 months and came back when he was an year old, so we did not miss any vaccine....
    all the vaccines are given at 2,4,6 months and then directly at 12 month.

b) we will be leaving for India again when my next baby will be around 4 months, so after his 4 month shots, we will go and I will probably stay longer than the time when its time for baby's 6 month vaccinations. We decided to give her all the 6 month vaccines in India except for the live polio drops...I am not sure if they have IPV in India at 6 month and also if it will be risky to stay there without the live polio virus ..should we give new baby live polio vaccine at 6 months? I am planning to start weaning her around 6 month time frame...mostly done by weaning around 7th month..I plan but I am not sure how it will go...

so if you have been there done that or have any knowledge about, please chip in with your recommendations /suggestions

thanks!