1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

In Trouble

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by Fortune1, Jan 13, 2017.

1. Fortune1

Fortune1 Senior IL'ite

Ok so I live in US, there is this best friend of mine who also is in USA. She was my school friend and I have known her for more than 2 decades now. We get along so well and we talk atleast once every week. She even visited me for a week. My husband is a really nice guy and he grew up in my state capital. His accent and his slang is very much different from my/my friend's slang. We have the habit of addressing someone very respectfully. My husband has a different way of addressing people. Not disrespecting but due to regional differences in slangs. So yesterday my son by mistake called my friend on WhatsApp and my friend's dp was showing on the call. My hubby was lying next to him and saw her pic on the phone. My friend is usually very very lean but in that pic she looked little chubbier so my husband was shocked and shouted that she has become chubbier in shock in a not so respectable way according to our standards. Later I realized she was being called, picked the call and told her that it was a call by mistake and ended. Now I am very worried that she could have heard that. My husband also realized and felt sorry that it was not very nice to say that and uncalled for. But the damage is already done :smash2: now it's eating me thinking if she heard that and feeling bad... the total call lasted 17 seconds.. please advise on how I should go about it..her relationship is very important to me.. am scared to call her

2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Let it eat you for a while more. : ) Take it a bit easy. Play it by the ear. If you detect a chill or frost in the communications, then there is cause to take some action. First give that frost time to thaw itself a bit. Then, attack the matter in a way that allows for you to state your case and be done with it without too much explanation, apology. I would write something like this in whatsapp after the frost has been detected, confirmed and has thawed a bit. "Hey... I think the other day that call was kind of awkward. Sorry about that. And any disturbance it caused."

So, you acknowledge the gaffe on your or your husband's part without making her relive it all over, and without you having to apologize too much for a minor lapse.

Fortune1 likes this.
  3. Fortune1

Fortune1 Senior IL'ite

Thanks Rihana, but the problem is solved. I couldn't let it eat me and decided to face it at its face value. So called her on my way back home from work. Also I cooked up a story like my husband misunderstood her/her call to be someone else's. but apparently she didn't hear anything and she spoke to me as usual.:banana: I took the bull by its horn. Thanks for your time and suggestion. Will need it in future...:mask:

yellowmango and Rihana like this.
  4. generic

generic Gold IL'ite

Op, do not let ur son use ur phone..to avoid such lapses in future..
    It's anyway not a good idea to let kids use gadgets.

Fortune1 likes this.
  5. Fortune1

Fortune1 Senior IL'ite

You are right generic... trying hard... but unable to stop him... will do my best. Thank you

6. buddha

buddha New IL'ite

Awesome. I applaud your approach to talk to her directly instead of assuming things and worrying.