1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

In Laws Want To Come For House Warming

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Meghaa, Jun 2, 2017.

1. Meghaa

Meghaa Silver IL'ite

Let me start by saying they are good in -laws. Take good care of me when I visit and do not bother me .

We bought a house - so needless to say running low on cash reserves. But in laws want to come for the house warming. That makes us feel guilty about not inviting my parents. None of them will pay for their tickets. We have to.

MIL was being indirect and hubby just out asked FIL if they want to come and the answer was a yes. Now he is stressed . I am stressed.

I am telling myself its only money and wont affect us long term. Its good energy to have parents happy .. but a part of me resents being put in the spot.
    Wanted to share/get some perspective I guess..

2. WorriesTooMuch

WorriesTooMuch Silver IL'ite

It's a difficult situation, I agree. But if I were you, I'd suck it up and pay for it, because if you were buying anywhere in India this wouldn't even come up right? Years later, you'll be happy that your closest family was there to celebrate such a happy occasion with you.

It's only because you're saying you get along with them well, otherwise don't bother.

sindmani, NeetaR and Meghaa like this.
  3. GlobetrotterG

GlobetrotterG Silver IL'ite

Not fair , if you miss out either your parents or your inlaws. They are your closest family , you can get to.

Do you know there are smart options regarding flights? If its domestic travel , most of the sectors match a little more than the 3AC rail fare, if booked 3 weeks in advance !!

I travel both domestic and international frequently, just letme know the sectors & will browse for the best deal..

Once again, please dont miss on inviting both ur parents & in-laws :)

cutepoojitha likes this.
  4. cutepoojitha

cutepoojitha Bronze IL'ite

Try to call both parents and inlaws i missed my parents for housewarming i still feel bad about it

Meghaa likes this.
  5. blessings1010

blessings1010 Gold IL'ite

OP, can you postpone housewarming until you save up funds for purchasing tickets for both sides of parents?
    IF you can not, do check cheapair.com and set email alerts there for when the prices go down within your budget, you can book their tickets. We normally use travel rewards credit card when we book flights, that way we usually get huge cash backs within 3 months of purchasing tickets.

When we got our first home, we also could not make ticket purchases upfront. So we decided to postpone the housewarming or a large pooja. We just asked for our parent's blessings and did a small grivpravesh pooja, recorded the video, and shared it with family. Almost after a year and a half later, we got their tickets and they still enjoyed our home. When they came, we did a bigger pooja and a bigger housewarming party. They got to meet our friends, colleagues, and neighbors. My friends spent a ton of a good time with the parents. All in all, it was worth the wait. We could afford to spend on big pooja and good lunch post pooja for almost 50-60 of our close friends and also got to do annadaan for other 50 people.

Besides, there is no point in housewarming if you are so stressed out about finances. Our parents always understand our situations

Good luck!

Laks09, peartree, BhumiBabe and 3 others like this.
  6. Meghaa

Meghaa Silver IL'ite

Thank you , yes it would be nice to have all 4 of them.
    I live in US.. time to browse for cheap airfare and apply for another 0% APR credit card....

sindmani likes this.
  7. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

I think it is great to have both sides parents but even if one side is coming thats a blessing.
    We are also thinking to buy home in US and I keep asking my husband I want atleast one member of my family to be here as it is a big thing for us. My ILs can not come. They are too old and my parents can also not come for various genuine reasons and even if needed, one one ( mom or dad ) can come for very short time. So I will probably not invite them.

If we had been in India, it was not a problem.
    Bring them here and consider it as house expense - 3K easily for 2 ( thats what I had thought). Are you moving in first then housewarming indian style (pooja)? If so, then its good to have parents presence in that.
    If casual party, friends over and food, then parents may not care and infact feel bored.

8. Meghaa

Meghaa Silver IL'ite

Our plan is to have Indian style pooja before moving in.

Here is the thing :
    1) I just got back from India - parents wanted me to come for their house warming
    2) My parents have not yet visited US. Our plan was to have them over next summer and make a few trips while they are here.

Now that in lawas want to come , we both feel like my parents should have the option too. But if they do take the option , it will be hard for us to make local trips too in the following months. In laws will not stay long - 2/3 weeks maybe. If they came , next year , we can actually take them to other places in US. Both this year and next year is defintely not do able.

We also have some upgrades to make on the house

DH says, explain to parents and let them choose between
    1) 2017 house warming follwoed my 2019 summer trip ( 2019 IMO is too far away to plan - who knows what will come up)
    2) 2018 summer trip

I personally prefer to have my parents next summer for a longer relaxed time. ( I am probably making this more complicated in my head than it really is!)

9. blessings1010

blessings1010 Gold IL'ite

Yes. 0% APR CC are a blessing here. I got Bank of America's travel credit card last and for first $1000 purchases, I got $200 cash back. I got a real cheap direct flight to India from NY so i did not reach their $1000 limit in first 90 days, so I ended up using their CC for some much needed electronic items overseas. I believe there will be other credit cards that match your needs- do check out nerdwallet blog for it
    Best Travel Credit Cards of 2017 - NerdWallet

Do not fret my friend. You have just made the biggest and most important investment of life. Enjoy your new home. All else will fall into the right place at the right time.

Meghaa likes this.
  10. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

Are you moving in in Winter time? If so, in that case, 2018 summer trip is better, no?
    Whose parent are we talking about? both sides to come at 2018 or just 1? Also with both sides, it will be too expensive and unmanageable so just have 1 side over.