1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

in laws visit usa,, watching TV all the time

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by 27csweetangel, Aug 18, 2011.

1. rnair

rnair Silver IL'ite

i have had similar issued too.watching tv works fine with me but regional language serials and film even are so much violent and vulgar these days , my young kids (4 and 2 years) are picking on wrong words and actions.
    it makes me crazy when they use bad words they learn from tv but in laws says , kids back home grow up watching this and not always barney and thomas.
    well,im not sure about it and it does make me worried at times.but seems everyone is having a good time, kids, inlaws..well..so i better get involved in this ,than fret alone.
    :)

2. 27csweetangel

27csweetangel Silver IL'ite

i know, suppose i convince myself to watch what they are watching, just because they dont have anything else to do but omg, what kind of serials are shown on zee tv,sony Tv..most of them have treacherous plots all plotted by "women" like DIL ,MILs and highly repetitive nature, adding no values or morals to story plus the same episode is repeated next morning so its twice the torture of one !!!

3. lotusgirl

lotusgirl Senior IL'ite

i personally do not think its right on anybodys part to completely monopolize the TV like this. It somehow shows they dont care about what the rest of the family did in that house or their routines.

the excuse of what else they would do doesnt warrant sitting infront of the TV whole time.. what about spending time with rest of the members of the family, the kids etc? or even do some reading..

adjustment is the key and effort needs to be put in by all for a happy environment. yes, if the serial the OP wathces is available online, then she could try that.. or if an extra connection can be taken to the bedroom , those are workable in some cases.. in some instances, if the DIL watches her show in the bedroom, that would be taken as rude..

Adjusting for a while is fine, and not able to watch a fav show isnt end of the world.. but its the lack of respect or consideration that is the point here..

Does your inlaws know you watch anything in particular at that time? does it clash with any of their fav shows? what would happen if you were to watch your show if they dont have anything fav at that time?

but again if its only for some more time, take a deep breath & let go... :)

1 person likes this.
  4. 27csweetangel

27csweetangel Silver IL'ite

yes they know i used to watch some stuff earlier before they came,,because there was no indian channel in our house before they came..but again i know its not end of world if i dont watch anything.. but its the consideration part that hurts me a lot..and when i visited their place some 2 years back,,MIL strictly told me you can watch her TV only one hour after that we have to watch our serials!!these were their words just imagine how would i have
    felt..and MY DH,,just says i know u dont get to wacth anything of ur choice and i dont even want him to say anything to them that would be rude definitely!!so just venting out here

5. SSC

SSC Platinum IL'ite

Yes, please vent it out here and get it over with!! Some old people are like that... They dont go out much, and their entire life depends on the soaps they watch... They get so involved with the characters (which becomes a little too much.. :bonk) But just let it go, and watch whatever u want to watch, on ur laptop.

6. Umlaut

Umlaut Silver IL'ite

On the positive side, let them watch TV the entire time they are with you. yes, even the re-runs and re-re-runs of those mindless daily soaps. That way, they will be out of your hair, supervising each and every minute detail of you life and trying to run the whole darn show and generally, making life a whole lot more difficult.

2 people like this.
  7. lakshmisumesh

lakshmisumesh Senior IL'ite

U r really lucjy that they are watching serial...If it was my in-laws, they would rather pick on me than watching TV. What your in-laws are doing are much much better...just watch ur serials online until they go back.

8. lakshmisumesh

lakshmisumesh Senior IL'ite

Lucky.....typo

9. puspita

puspita Silver IL'ite

Oh sorry to know that whole day u r working and cant watch TV....
    I only commented on ur serial watch..i didnt know that u r doing so many things...

10. lochu

lochu Gold IL'ite

.I am sorry to say I understand you need your time as well but can't you adjust for like 6 months at the maximum for your inlaws sake .This is their first impression on their visit ?do you feel good about yourself after arguing with her ?

I understand that they were mean to you but you don't have to be like them .Just l;et go of the past .

Some old people are so adamant and looks like your in laws are like that .