1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

In Laws Entering Your Room

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Sani12, Aug 1, 2018.

1. blessed

blessed Platinum IL'ite

I may sound harsh but this is what practically happened in my life, my hubby being the only Son I had no option but to stay with my in laws till the end of their lives, I lived with them for nearly 19 years until my MIL passed away, believe me even in my 19th anniversary I felt like unpaid maid in that house ( the word Guest seems more honorable) the only liberty I had in making decisions is with regard to my daughter, I was not included in any family discussions because they thought I was to dump or incapable, hubby was highly influenced by his two older intelligent sisters who were ruling our home even though they lived in differed states. Every day was a night mare, silent treatment, cold wars, frequent arguments between me and hubby, putting me down in front of all the relatives, were part of my daily life, the only privacy I had is in my 10/10 room which was luckily in the first floor and she wouldn't climb up because of her arthritis problem, how I use to long to re doing our home, I wanted to change the furniture, bring in small changes but never was permitted to do so... hubby never went against his parents.

Fast forward today, after MIL passed away, Fil followed her in 3 years, their home became ours, we totally renovated the house , I brought in so much of greenery in to house, gave it a new look according to my taste, this is the privacy I wanted and I am enjoying it now.

Dear OP and all my friends who are still dreaming of privacy, please don't wait like me, be strong go ahead with your decision of making your own home but close to your in laws place so you will be always available if they need help, convince your DH ( I failed to do so ) be polite yet stern, after all we have one life and cannot afford to waste it.

2. Sani12

Sani12 Bronze IL'ite

I feel you dear, i face the exact same thing !!
    My MIL keeps cleaning her sons cupboard too , earlier she used to keep my stuff here n there too, now she stopped and doesn't touch my stuff ,but keeps opening my cupboard to keep common stuff like pillow covers or bedsheets. She goes through my stuff in drawers too. Once i wanted to keep gold jewellery in the cupboard locker and i was just seeing what all is there in each pouch of jewellery, i was opening one by one, and MIL was standing right besides me and before i could peak inside , she kept commenting - no this is not gold , this is just pearl. Means she already saw whats inside and she knows whats in side each pouch.
    Glad i'm not the only one who thinks its legitimate to expect privacy. I'm kinda of reserved so i don't even like people around me ,and here my MIL keeps staring at me when i'm eating, or stare at me when i'm just sitting, whenever she goes by our room door, she peaks inside as to what they are doing !! Ugh, so stupid - just stay in your own world na, why is your mind always on DIL ?? Even my MIL says the same, we were soooooo many people in such a small house, i adjusted sooo much ! Blah blah blah...

3. Sani12

Sani12 Bronze IL'ite

Thats the problem dear, hubbys don't agree to leave their parents house, how much even you try and convince , for hubbys their parents are everything. Their logic is , my mom adjusted when she came into this house - you are also supposed to adjust !! Not matter how unhappy we are, they don't understand. MILs are very smart, they behave like angels in front of DH and devil when alone. At the end of the day , We come out as villians in front of DH.
    Before marriage i used to think why do DILs complain about MILs so much and why can't they leave peacefully. But now after marriage the real picture is in front of my eyes !! MIL will always be MIL , no matter how good or bad she is !! I would STRONGLY urge all unmarried girls , to make it very clear BEFORE marriage if you don't want to live with in laws. Tell your future DH to buy/rent a house BEFORE the wedding. Because after the wedding, nothing will change !!

pinkydarling and blessed like this.
  4. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

This is true. But time changes. We are of different generation which DH can never understand. They don’t think according to this current generation but want us to go for a job earn money and sponsor and come home and slog there too!!

I was also thinking same. True MIL will be only MIL nothing more that and so is DIL

5. Dishaa

Dishaa Gold IL'ite

Dear Op,

I have a suggestion related to your problem.

Before marriage didn't ur parents visited your room? If yes how you used to react?

I would suggest before jumping into some conclusion and souring relationship try to think in that way.

Now try the other way if your MIL wants to show her power try to use these steps :

1. If u & MIL share same bed (double bed) just start throwing ur legs and hands as playing football on her (try not to hurt her), pretend as if u r in deep sleep and dreaming. Even if they wake u up just continue this policy after 10 - 15 minutes.
    2. U can switch the AC to 16 / 17 degrees saying u r feeling hot. Keep it going till they move out. We use this technique.
    3. Snoring loudly and talking loudly as if dreaming - My dad and uncle did this.
    4. Start a conversation with ur in-laws or MIL when they feel most tired and ready to sleep.
    I will say try to make the relationship bit spicy instead of argument and cold war.

Best regards
    Disha

SinghManisha and Sangeeta85 like this.
  6. Sangeeta85

Sangeeta85 Gold IL'ite

U have to speak up ..if she cleans your room go and clean hers .just say u must be tired cleaning mine so I will cleaned yours..
    If she comes in your room to sleep in noon just go n sleep in the living room couch it’s your house too don’t feel u r doing wrong..once u back answer politely they will get it ..don’t let them run over u all the time..
    When we would visit them my mil would enter that way even though I always knock the door before I go in her room so she learned it too that she has to knock....I never touch her cupboard if I need I ask her ..so she does not too ..so when your mil does not get this concept u do what she does ..
    I don’t feel wrong if they come in the room but I want mil to treat right we will treat them as our own mother too...

7. Sangeeta85

Sangeeta85 Gold IL'ite

Such a good idea !!.

8. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

I am 64 years old and therefore take this opinion with a pinch of salt. Once a room is assigned to the couple in a joint-family, it is their room and everyone else need to knock the door, if they need to enter for some reason day or night. That is how important privacy is for a woman who marries someone and moves away from her family to live with her husband.

Whether the h is the only son or second son or third son, it doesn't matter. When I got married to my wife (who is the only child for her parents) in 1983, we lived for a brief period of time with my parents. When the restrictions such as how many times her parents can visit her in a month, what time she needs to wake up early morning, head shower everyday, how wet clothes need to be put in the wire with a stick, when she could cook but only under supervision of my mother, etc. were enforced, it didn't take much time for her to share it with me. We moved within 6 months to a rented house. My father was excited to see us happy in that small house and he used to come every Sunday to have lunch with us and watch his favorite program in the color TV at home.

Many MILs consider the daughter in law as a threat to her authority and it is hard to convince her otherwise, unless she has the best interest of her son in mind.

pinkydarling, Parry22, Dishaa and 3 others like this.
  9. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

Indeed you are very understanding husband sir. Your wife is lucky and I mean it !

10. Sangeeta85

Sangeeta85 Gold IL'ite

Yes he is so understanding ..I wish all men understand the same way as u do atleast some percent..

shravs3 and Viswamitra like this.