1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

(In)Human Customer Service

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Akanksha1982, Jul 13, 2015.

1. Akanksha1982

Akanksha1982 IL Hall of Fame

I had my internet go off and on on my for the last two days. Internet is our lifeline. Our tv cable, our phone, our security system, of course all our I-devices all need internet. We feel like Robinson Crusoe on an island, totally cut off from the world.So i called up my ISP. In an attempt to provide more friendly customer service, the ISP has changed the customer support to computer based human which takes only voice inputs and tries to translate them. Here is how the conversation went.

ISP: I see you are calling from blah...blah telephone. If that number is on your account, say "Yes". If not, say "No"
    Me: "Yes"
    ISP: Good. Can you inform me the four number password on your account.
    Me: blah blah...
    ISP: <some. noise indicating me that it is searching for my account>
    ISP: I have found your account. Thank for being our loyal customer. How may I help you today. You can say, "Pay My Bill", "Upgrade my Service", "Account Information", "Technical Support", "Other".
    Me: Technical Support.
    ISP. I am sorry I didn't understand what you said. You can say, "Pay My Bill", "Upgrade my Service", "Account Information", "Technical Support", "Other".
    Me: Techincal Support + some background crying as my son timed his crying at the same time.
    ISP. I think you said, "Pay My Bill" If that is correct, say "Yes", If not, say "No"
    Me: No. ( I shouted)
    ISP: I didn't understand what you said. Let's start again. You can say, "Pay My Bill", "Upgrade my Service", "Account Information", "Technical Support", "Other".
    (ISP didn't like my shouting and i have to pay the price of going through again).
    Me: (Moving into the remote bathroom and closing the door so to avoid disturbance. Aks, calm down, it is just a computer not a real person). Techincal Support.
    ISP: I think you said, "Technical Support" If that is correct, say "Yes" If not say, "No".
    Me: Yes. (I said calmly)
    ISP: I can help you with trouble shooting of the the internet. Describe the problem for me. You can say "Internet is slow" or "I am having connection problem" or "Other". I am pleased to inform you that we now have a special on our lightening speed turbo charged internet package. Say, "Upgrade my service" to get this discounted service.
    (Yeah as you know, i was not paying attention. My BP must have been 200 at that time. Again, taking a deep breath, i said in my mind, Aks, you can do this).
    Me: Connection Problem.
    ISP: I think you said Connection Problem. If that is correct say "Yes". If not, say "No".
    Me: Yes. (said in a calmer way. Luckily my DH wasn't at home. Otherwise he would have felt jealous of the computer customer support for the patience and respect he was getting).
    ISP: I can help you trouble shoot the connection problem. (some machine noise, indicating to me that the world has stopped their work and a worldwide search has begun to rectify my problem). Okay. To find the problem you are having and to solve your problem quickly, i have a few questions. Is the power code connected to the modem? If that is correct say "Yes" If not, say "No".
    Me: Yes. (my BP must have been 225).
    ISP: (some more machines noise indicating that a Universe wide search has commenced to solve my problem. Reminded me of SRK's dialog, "Kisi cheez ko Shidadat se chao to saari kayanat tumhe usse milane ki koshish mein lag jaati hai. (if you truely love something then the whole world works to unite it with you). How many lights are blinking on the modem. You can say "None", "One" "Two" "Three" "Four" "Five".
    Me: "Two"
    ISP: (again some machine noise, indicating that i am closer to resolution of my problem). Can you please disconnect the power chord to the modem and wait for two minutes? Say, "Yes" when you are done.
    Me: (I disconnect the power chord and followed the two minute silence for the departed internet connection). Yes
    ISP. Now connect the power chord again and wait for one minute. Say, "Yes" when you are done.
    Me: (I connect the power chord and wait for a minute. This one minute was more excruciating than the labor pain i had during the birth of my son). "Yes".
    ISP: How many lights are blinking. You can say "None", "One" "Two" "Three" "Four" "Five".
    Me: Two.
    ISP: (again some machine noise and some more and some more. Felt like the code Blue (adult medical emergency) code announced in the hospital). I will connect you to a technical support person to help you. (again some machine noises).
    Now, the earlier computer customer support person is retired and the call is handled by another computer call person with a music being played to indicate i am on hold.
    In between the music, the message is played, "We are experiencing a higher volume of calls. Your call will be answered in the order it was received. You can hold on or call at a different time. You can get faster service by going to our website, "blahblah.com/support". You can chat with a live agent.
    Me: (my BP is at 250. I am having internet problems and it is saying to go to the website for faster service.:bonk)
    After 20 mins of patience, i finally get to speak to a human being. She again asks questions about my name, last four of SS, password, etc to verify my account and not some impostor trying to use the great customer service of the ISP. I am again asked to disconnect my modem, pray in silence for 2 mins and reconnect. Finally, she informs me of that there is some problem with modem or the connection and will send out a field service person 3 days from now.

In the meantime, the internet comes on and off at it's own marzi (whim).

Didn't mention the times that the computer support didn't recognize my accent and had to revert back and forth. Not sure why can't they just have selection like press 1 for this and press 2 for that. Not every time, we have total privacy and saying birthdates and social security numbers is so embarrassing. And the system totally fails for heavily accented people, esp. for Gujjus like me. Gujjus can speak any language in gujrathi.

If this is human or inhumane customer service?

9 people like this.

2. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Aks,

Yes agreed internet is our lifeline.Cant do without it. now i have two internets with me at home, so that in case one conks off, i ahve the other, but at times both conk off, so no advantage of having two and paying for them.

Yes these recorded messages are bad really, and they say, they will record this for quality purpose. What quality when the anwer will be by the machine.

Good one, Aks.

Regards

kamal

3. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Madam, This is the problem everywhere.Don't think that it is accent problem.We have more problems even if we are asked to press buttons.Last week I wanted some clarification regarding the new credit card and I-pin number we received.
    There was endless press of buttons like

1 for English 2-Hindi -3 for Tamil
    If you are a new customer press 1, if old press2
    I press 2
    Press the credit card No

I press the 16 digit card No.

There is no amt outstanding --was the reply as though I wanted to know the outstanding.

There was no option for talking to a customer care officer.
    I tried the bank direct.They directed us to the same Number --1,2, 3 etc.
    I thought of cancelling the credit card.
    Once again I tried.This time I pressed the number relating to the new customer. Now the message came

press 1 for getting cards, press 2 for other products.

I simply pressed 2.
    Immediately I heard a real human voice, not recorded ,--the product in which I was interested press 1,2, 3 etc-- along with it there was an option for talking to officer.

I caught hold of the fellow.
    After explaining the problem and getting clarification I asked them to include an option of talking to an officer in all the modes.

Luckily we don't have accent problem.

I am fed up with this unsupportive customer support which is more irritating than the non working internet.

Madam,A hilarious but true account of the serviceless support.

Jayasala 42

1 person likes this.
  4. VaniVyas

VaniVyas Platinum IL'ite

Well Said, Inhumane service. Thank God you did not blast the customer service. My DH is a person who likes to write elaborate emails to these service representatives along with the time and duration of each call and the name of the person who attended him. In this case, since it is a computer service you can try to write a letter to your service provider about how useless their services are???? Do you really require such a one in place??
    Whenever, I call my IT dept for any issue, I first sentence that I tell them is “I have already re-started my PC twice, is there anything else that needs to be done”. They always address your problem with a restart even it is related to a terminated electrical connection.
    Though these services are in place to help us but actually most of them will end up in us having to hold on to the call for hours and still not solving the problem

5. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Akanksha,

A patient may survive a little longer if the oxygen cylinder is disconnected but not a normal human being without an internet. I am sure by now you have seen the Facebook photograph of people waiting in the train station busy meddling with their smartphones and only one was involved in the live world. I made a comment, "Perhaps, his battery died on him".

I can understand your frustration having gone through that myself several times. It is so irritating when we have an option only for voice and the system doesn't follow us. Once we get into the system with verification, I don't understand why live technical support people ask for credential one more time. Will that not be visible for them online when they pick up the phone or when the call was routed to them? There is no way we can understand how the customer support system works. Even when the calls are originated from the vendors, after we say hello once or twice, the call will be connected with a live person frustrating us. Anyhow, for everything the solution is visiting the website and I don't understand how the customer support suggests visiting their website when someone has internet problem.

Perhaps, you have watched this before but it is worth watching again to reduce your blood pressure. It is a great stress buster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v-zV5rduqE

Viswa

6. Akanksha1982

Yes. Internet is becoming our life line. I work in a company that makes sensors for mobiles and other devices. The next wave that is on the horizon is IOT (Internet of Things). Basically everything will be connected via internet. From the mobile/laptop one will be able to turn on/off, change colors, select which light to turn on or off - bulbs having internet and motion detection. Shoes will have motion sensors and detection to get statistical data for runners and joggers, Tennis racket, helmet of Skiers, etc to have similar technology. Spoons with motion sensors to limit the shakiness for patients with parkinson for ease in eating food.

Today when people visit other people's home instead of the usual greetings, the first question they ask is "what is your wifi password?".

7. Akanksha1982

Jaya Mam, yes the button system also gets irritating. Last year I had to call IRS for some tax related issue. They have button system and they have like 9 options and then 9 options for each of the nine options and so on. Worst part is that even if we know the option to select, we have to time it as it is not always ready to take our option. Finally, you either get connected to the customer service representative or it just says to call again if there are many customers on the line. It was so frustrating.

I think a reality show should be made where the CEO of the company is made to call his company's customer support number. That would be fun.

8. Akanksha1982

Yes, Vani mam you are right. I am lazy in following up. Just trying to close the errands. Most of the time, i don't like to call customer service. I leave it for the DH to deal with these. These days i am home so called up.

1 person likes this.
  9. Akanksha1982

Thank you Viswa sir for sharing the video. That was too funny. Having a low battery on the phone is frustating. If it gets low, we rush the phone to the nearest outlet, just like taking a patient to the doctor and telling, "don't go to sleep, nothing will happen to you, I am there". :rotfl

Isn't it silly to ask the people having connection problems to go to the website for faster service? Don't know how these people come up with the use case scenario for the customer support software.

My BP is in control. I like the online chat support. It protects the privacy and i don't have to say personal details and i can do it from anywhere. Here the internet was down so didn't have that choice.

10. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Akanksha,
    Many a time I had the frustrating experience of the automated online service which has become the norm of the day. Almost all service providers are having this system.
    As we have enough man power in our country at least there should be one person appointed to answer the customer service and provide them proper guidance in situations like this.
    pS