1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

In Defence of Arvind Kejriwal

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Balajee, Feb 6, 2015.

1. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

I know we have a secret ballot. But I am not going to be secretive about for whom I am going to vote tomorrow in the Delhi legislative assembly elections—It is Arvind Kejriwal.

A question: Who can make Congress and BJP join hands? Arvind Kejriwal of course.

Both BJP and the Congress are parroting the same charges against Kejriwal and his Aam Admi Party. When these two parties attack someone there must be something seriously right with him.

The first charge against Arvind is that he is the runaway chief minister. Just after 49 days as chief minister he resigned his post . Tell me, how many of the politicians cutting across party lines would quit on grounds of principle? That seems very old fashioned in the current day political scenario.

Both BJP and Congress are harping about four “dummy companies depositing Rs two crores in AAP’s bank account and yell “hawala” . They know very well that hawala transactions are not done by cheques. And donations through hawala would not find their way into the party website.. When some corporate body gives donation to a party through cheque it is naturally assumed that it is a bona fide donation.

The ever ridiculous Arnab Goswami lambasted AAP because these companies were dummies with false addresses and no turnovers and had the same directors. If that is the case it is for the CBI or enforcement directorate to probe it. You don’t expect recipients of donations to go and cheque company turnovers and examine. the horoscopes of the companies’ directors. Can BJP and Congress put the details of the donations they received and the names of their donors on their websites? .

It has been nine months since BJP led NDA has been in p ower and it still hasn’t delivered., Modi famously said during the Lok Sabha election campaign, that he would bring all the black money stashed abroad within 100 days of coming to power. And the only thing we have heard on it is some three unknown guys whose names suspiciously sounded like those requesting for music on FM channels have been revealed. The big fish are still swimming in the murky waters unhooked.

AAP despite its faults remains the sole party that tried to deliver on its promises during his short tenure. Measures were taken to streamline the water supply and a power audit by the Comptroller and Auditor General ordered ignoring loud protests by power distribution firms like Tata and Reliance. Heaven knows what happened to the audid under the aegis of BJP.

BJP has tried to make it an Arvind versus Kiran battle, Kiran Bedi has been projected as an honest and efficient administrator. But if you examine her career closely you will find a lot of skeletons in her cupboard.

When she was posted in Mizoram Bedi tried to get her daughter admitted in a Delhi medical collage under the northeastern states quota. The quota is mainly meant for scheduled tribes and other original residents of the region and not for daughters of officlals on transfer.

Shifted to Delhi as chief of Tihar jail, she gave VIP treatment to convicted murderer Charles Shobhraj, His cell had a fan, cooler and he was allowed to have a typewriter.. Other prisoners, of course sweated it out. Many of them may not have even been criminals in the true sense but undertrials. who could have been released later in the future. Why this partiality Ms.Bedi? Her answer to this as to her daughter’s college admission was that she didn’t break any rules. May be within rules she was, but what she did, was that ethical, was that just?

Then she quit the forced peeved at being sidelined for selection as Delhi police chief. And began an NGO, Here media reports exposed how she charged sponsors who invited her for lectures business class fares and travelled by economy class in flights and even in that she wrested a concession for president’s police medal winners. Once she reportedly charged for business class fare from Delhi to Mumbai but was actually in Pune and travelled by road from there.

When cornered by the media she admitted that she took extra money like this from her sponsors but said that the money was meant for her NGO. While she admitted to taking business class fares and travelling by economy, there is no proof that the money was actually used for the NGO. Even then, couldn’t she have found more honest means to collect funds? And is there any guarantee that a person who is dishonest for such small things, would be honest when voted into power?

As a member of Anna Hazare’s anti-corruption movement she pretended to be irulently anti-politicians and publicly humiliated two BJP top honchos when they tried to ride piggyback on the movement.. Just read her tweets in which she accuses Narendra Modi of moral responsibility for Gujarat communal violence, Now has all the a;;eged blood been washed off Modi, Ms. Bedi? Can anyone including Modi, trust such a seasoned flip flopper??

Congress’ chief ministerial hopeful Ajay Maken? Not a bad chap but he carries the baggage of the Gandhi family. He doesn’t even stand a chance with Congress party expected to be reduced to single digits.

So even by default it is Arvind Kejriwal and no one else. I am not 100% happy with everything he has done. A year ago I wrote a blog titled Dear Arvind Kejriwal criticizing many of his actions. But going by the quality of other parties and candidates, he still remains the best bet for Delhi.

8 people like this.

2. Ilovepink

Ilovepink Senior IL'ite

AAm Aadmi Party is playing dirty role. While raising all sorts of allegations about distribution of liquor, its own candidates are found involved in distributing liquor. In fact AAP is worst than Congress party. It assassinate characters and dub everybody as dishonest while claiming itself to be champion of honesty. People should see through game plan of this party.

3 people like this.
  3. indubalram

indubalram IL Hall of Fame

@Balajee
    Yes you right about Arvind Kejrival. But I feel he lacks in administration. They are more as activist rather than a political party. But of course we can give them a chance to prove themselves. Nothing wrong in that.

2 people like this.
  4. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Ilovepink in the heat of elections everyone is indulging in character assassination, BJP more than AAP. As for the liquor, isn't it strange that it was found hours after Kejriwal made a statement about liquor distribution during polls. Don't you see there is a possibility that it could have been planted with little help from the law and order machinery?

2 people like this.
  5. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

True he should get into the administrator's mode from the activist one. at the same time without ceasing to be an activist. To be fair to him he tried to keep more promises during his short regime than any other chief minister. He was not all talk but wanted to take measures too.

6. indubalram

indubalram IL Hall of Fame

Hopefully people of India understand this and be smart!All the best to Arvind Kejrival!

7. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

One thing I was appalled to learn was crane bedi was no crane bedi , she was famous all these years with this one act and it turns out that she took credit of some one else work .

And all those debates in tv studios does not help her image .

AAP win is needed to put some dent in BJp's all hype no action agenda

1 person likes this.
  8. Akanksha1982

Akanksha1982 IL Hall of Fame

@Balajee I admired Arvind Kejriwal's rise last year. I had high hopes of him changing the ways things were being done. But over the last year, i just see nothing but hypocrisy from him. His disrespect last year of the Republic day was the height of it. I heard him on the TV saying that Republic day is not important, his agitation was important and the he would fill the Raj Path with lakhs of people. Before election, he had 350 pages of wrong doings against Sheila Dixit, after election, he asks BJP to provide proof against Sheila Dixit. He made fun of Sheila Dixit, when she said that Delhi police was not in her control when he very well knew that it is how it was setup.

The issue is that he himself projects that he is different from others and yet he lies, never gives proof about anything and dramatizes and sensationalize everything.

Just putting up website with the list of donors and money doesn't make it honest. The expenses that the party has been doing is much beyond the amount listed on the website. It is aam daani atthani kharcha rupayia (Income of 50 paisa and expense of a rupee). The website had listed Obama, Angelina, Brad Pitt etc as donors. I don't believe AK doesn't know the people who gave his party 2 crores. The money came from outside India. I read one person was Canadian non Indian citizen. I fail to understand why a Canadian non Indian citizen be interested in supporting a party in a state election in Delhi.

i have seen nothing but lies. I think if he wins, there will be much tug-of-war between the delhi govt and the central and for ego and not for the benefit of the people.

The list of promises they have made are impossible to meet with the budget. Giving out freebies and subsides is easy, but is that the solution? Attracting business to a state, increasing employment, building power plants, roads, etc is what's useful for the people.

The biggest problem i have with him is that he claims to be different but he is not. The issue is not that the others are bad or worse, the issue is that he is not good either.

4 people like this.
  9. parineetha

parineetha IL Hall of Fame

One left CM’s post for Jan LokPal and other left Jan LokPal for CM' post.
    One left his commissioner for community service, other left her job for not being made the commissioner.
    "An Anarchist is far better than an opportunist"

And C'mon Balajee Sir, don't blame her for the anti Modi tweets..you're cherry picking like Arnab Goswami..and that's unethical..she had more than 20000 tweets..why doing cherry picking ;-) (not my words..Bediji accused the famous Arnab Goswami)

3 people like this.
  10. steve

steve Platinum IL'ite

If AK is a great leader he would have condemned the midnight raid on those hapless African women in the middle of the night by his home minister. He has'nt said anything critical and he continued to be his Home Minister and even now I think that minister is still among his close associates. That alone tells me that he is no different than the others.