1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Importance Of Self Love

Discussion in 'Interesting Shares' started by Sandyr46, Jun 8, 2019.

1. Sandyr46

Sandyr46 Gold IL'ite

Modern society is shaped in such a way that we are sort of bound to constantly compete against each other, or even ourselves. We are always trying to reach our short-term goals and trying to better ourselves to match the expectations set upon us by the society. Many of us are guilty of working long hours and getting less sleep each night; we travel the extra mile and feel content that we have achieved perfectionism. We grind in and out every week; even during the weekend 'relaxing' and 'having a good time' seems like a chore.

We cannot always expect to rely only on external sources for love and that is where the concept of self-love comes in. A person who practices self-love will never need to depend on others to be happy and it is an empowering feeling to be happy on the inside.

Self-love is not being selfish; it is just putting yourself first and not being too tough on yourself.

When our loved ones make a mistake we often forgive them easily, but when we make a mistake we are often too hard on ourselves.

The first step of self-love is realising that we are only human and it is okay to make mistakes; it is okay to lose at times; it is okay to not have the best day…week…or month.

All we need to do is love ourselves and let the negative things pass through; eventually things will change and bad times will pass.

Self-love has many benefits; the first benefit is greater life satisfaction. When we love ourselves more we instantly change our perspective of the world. Self-love can give us a more positive attitude towards life.

The second benefit of self-love is that it can encourage us to pick up good habits. Self-love means loving your body, soul, and mind. Therefore, people who love themselves often refrain from doing things that will have an impact on their tranquility. Thus, it can help us adapt healthy habits.

If you start loving your body and mind more than others, you will not work during weekends; you will rather go on a drive or do some other activity that relaxes your mind.

Another important benefit of self-love is better mental health. People who love themselves are less likely to suffer from anxiety or depression; self-love also paves the way to a positive mindset which is an essential ingredient for success in life and for mental wellbeing.

Learning to love yourself also reduces stress, lessens procrastination and makes you more focused at work.

Put yourself a little higher on your priority list; think highly of yourself as the world takes you at your own estimate. If you have had a long day at work, come home and take a long break.

Self-love is the key to happiness and a person who is happy is in a far better position to achieve success in every aspect of life.

I have passed through that very dark phase in life till I had this self-realization. I felt so liberated that I took my first solo trip to south india. Personally I love history and heritage. South temples have always intriqued me. And so I ventured out, my partner being 'me'. From Trichy to Rameswaram, pondicherry to chennai. I took a beautiful journey. Relished the best dosas and coffee . Had hearty banana leaf lunches. Enjoyed my time with uninterupted sea view at dhanushkodi beach played like a child with the waves. I came back so enriched and a lot more clarity about myself. I learnt so much about me. My pros my cons everytin. Felt so liberated. I know at this point I may sound like a mad women yacking in my 40's so wont continue further.
    -Based on an article by Zubayer Zakir Khan

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2019

2. SinghManisha

SinghManisha Platinum IL'ite

This is such an interesting share ! We are often too harsh on ourselves. I am realizing the importance of self love after I hit 40 ! I spent most of my teenage yrs / 20’s / 30’s with a lot of self doubt. Then life happened and I realized that I am solely responsible for my own happiness.
    There are days where I still struggle but I have decided to prioritize my happiness from now on.

3. Vanani

Vanani Senior IL'ite

I like this post very much. I have started doing some of the things you mentioned but want to do more, especially venture out independently and explore places and activities on my own, and further deepen and pursue my interests. Thank you so much for sharing this.

4. Sandyr46

Sandyr46 Gold IL'ite

We all have temples at our home where we worship our favorite Gods/Goddess. Everyday we meticulously clean the temple, light lamps, adorn the idols with garlands, prepare the daily prasad – done with all respect. That’s how much we believe, hope, trust and keep the faith.
    Now think of us women - our body and our soul – isn’t it similar to a temple where our soul is placed, that makes us the Goddess. Maybe our religious texts just missed out about self-love or deleted it so that women never get to understand power of their true self. Think about every single woman out there – the different roles she plays from being a dedicated daughter, wife, mother – selfless dedication to every single task she performs.
    If only we knew we learnt to accept we are the center of this universe and we worship ourselves how powerful could we be? Let us feel really great about ourselves ! Let us stop judging ourselves !

Attached Files: