1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Importance of jaggery

Discussion in 'Indian Diet & Nutrition' started by druchita, Jun 27, 2015.

1. druchita

druchita Silver IL'ite

I have seen a health programme where they told the benefits,importance of Jaggery .in hindi it is called Gud.It is useful, benefits to us in many ways.
    some people does not like to eat the raw jaggery so they shd include jaggery in the form of laddus like peanut laddu,dry Fruit laddu with Jaggery,seasame laddu.(tilli in hindi).

Jaggery is helpful to us in many ways

1 Jaggery helps prevent and relieve constipation by stimulating bowel movements. It activates the digestive enzymes in our body and thus helps in proper digestion of your food.

2Jaggery is also an excellent source of iron, a mineral that plays a key role in the production of haemoglobin. Hence, adding jaggery to your food preparations or eating a small amount of jaggery can actually fulfil your daily requirement of iron. This in turn, lowers your chance of suffering from iron-deficiency

3 It Cleanses the Liver by flushing out harmful toxins from our body.

4 cough, cold ,water retension & migraine those who are suffering fr these probs can get relief with the help of jiggery all you have to do is mix it with warm water and drink or add it in your tea instead of sugar to reap its benefits.

5 Jaggery is loaded with antioxidants and minerals like zinc and selenium, which help prevent free-radical damage and also boost resistance against infections

6 Asthma problem does not occur by eating jaggery and black sesame.

7 Gas does not occur by eating jaggery after lunch/dinner

8 Relief in joint pain Take a piece of ginger with jaggery. It will not have a problem of arthritis in the winter

9 jaggery purifies our blood very well.So daily intaking of jaggery is good for health.

10 jaggery makes the skin smooth and healthy.By eating this jaggery hair becomes healthy.It is also used to cure pimples and acne.

so there are many uses/benefits of jaggery

1.For Asthma and bronchitis person,make the laddoos of black sesame and jaggery.
    2.For weakness,eat a tsp of jaggery twice a day.
    3.For muscle strength ,drink the milk by mixing jaggery with it.
    4.For tiredness take a 3tsp of jaggery a day.
    5.For menstrual disorders take a tsp of jaggery a day.

5 people like this.

2. rkgurbani

rkgurbani IL Hall of Fame

That's a very useful one dear friend. Jaggery and so many benefits! I love to have a bit of sweet after a meal. So hereafter I will have a small piece of jiggery instead. Thanks buddy!

3. vidhyalakshmid

vidhyalakshmid IL Hall of Fame

Useful post. But more jaggery will shoot up the blood sugar level immediately.

4. previ

previ Senior IL'ite

Good post and great info

When my mom was to undergo hysterectomy, she was severely anemic. Doctor asked her to take iron tabs and come back after 15 days. One of the nurses asked her to consume jaggery every single day. After 15 days, her iron levels were surprising normal without any medication. I was always a borderline anemic. Adding jaggery to my diet ensured I had very good iron levels even during my pregnancy. I use it daily instead of sugar in my oats porridge.

5. druchita

druchita Silver IL'ite

@previ
    ya absolutely even I will use jaggery in my oats porridge & also I will drink milk with that.instead of sugar. jaggery is better than sugar by all means.

1 person likes this.
  6. Susi

Susi New IL'ite

Interesting never knew the benefits of jaggery. How about people who are diabetes?

7. Punchbowl

Punchbowl New IL'ite

My mother mixes ginger powder with jaggery, makes them into tiny balls and takes one daily to prevent cold and chest infections.

8. chandrakant

chandrakant New IL'ite

A good & informative Article!
    In Maharashtra, we also consume jaggery liquid known as 'Kakavi' in Marathi. (I don't know its name in Hindi or other Indian languages.)
    Kakavi is available at jaggery manufacturing units - especially in Kolhapur District of Maharashtra State.
    It's pleasant in taste and much nutritious too. Children enjoy it with Chapatis.

9. Prachi.B

Prachi.B Bronze IL'ite

Nice post. :) Keep it up.

10. VaniVyas

VaniVyas Platinum IL'ite

good and very informative post.

Will try to include in tea and try instead of sugar. These days sugar available in the market are impure and come in many chemicals. So better to try Jaggery.