1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

I'm Lesbian: My Partner And I Are Planning To Get Married.

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by faithgrime, Dec 13, 2017.

1. faithgrime

faithgrime Senior IL'ite

My partner recently proposed to me and I accepted it. The problem now is to let my family know about the whole thing. They know about my true identity but I still believe that they are not open to same-sex marriage. This is my dilemma right now.

GlobetrotterG and GeetaKashyap like this.

2. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

Congratulations !
    I am glad your family is aware , that’s half the battle won ! I am sure sooner or later they will accept your marriage with your partner as well ! Good luck !

3. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

Congratulations!

We have a close friend's sister who is a lesbian. She got married a few years back.

Now when she got married, only her sister's family went as she's close with her sister. But her parents was not aware of this whole thing so didn't attend the wedding. They had a big wedding with the friends n the partners family (they are cool with this).

The thing is till now her parents or relatives are not aware of her being a lesbian or the marriage. They all think her partner is a room mate. N my friends sis is ok to keep it this way because they come from a very traditional background from Deep South n can't even understand the head or the tail of it.

Shes been married for a few years now n living very happily. They are like one of those ideal couples. God bless!

So you take decisions based on your parents level of acceptance. N no need to include the whole extended clan either. Analyse well n make decisions that will not hinder your happiness n future.

4. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

Congrats. Even though awareness is growing among people, there is also a lot of ignorance and resistance amongst many of them. I believe, speaking about it and raising awareness is the first step. Fear of society stops people from accepting such relationships easily. To be fair to your partner and you, you may go ahead with your plans after informing your elders. Resistance is expected, give them time to come around. Recently I saw a WhatsApp video of a Indian traditional gay marriage (it was in USA) with total involvement from both the families. It was heartwarming.

All the best.

GlobetrotterG and nandinimithun like this.
  5. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

As long as you are not in India,it should be fine(it is still criminal act by law here).

Let your parents know .
    Tell them you are serious and want this life. Let them know you are fine if they do not agree wholeheartedly.
    Go ahead and marry without making it a breaking news in your parents circle if they are conservative.

Once parents realise that their child is happy and safe in the marriage ,they should find happiness in the child's decision. If they are not happy,then they probably don't deserve a child who thinks about their happiness.

Best wishes. Hope you get what you want.

6. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

OP, where are you located? I hope you are not in India as same sex marriages are not recognised legally there, even if you are only visiting India.
    As for letting the family know, you are the best judge. Given the news, I am fairly certain they know what this would mean. Will they accept it? Perhaps eventually.

Edit: I do remember your other thread. Did you already file for divorce with your husband?
    The custody of your teenage daughter? Will you be sharing joint custody?

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
  7. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

Congratulations. Live long and prosper.
    [​IMG]

Deborah likes this.
  8. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

I am sorry, I have to ask...you already separated from your husband right?
    Check with a lawyer maybe on how it will impact your teenage daughter interms of custody?

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
    Sandycandy likes this.
  9. Deborah

Deborah Gold IL'ite

Lol...love this pic. @Nonya - Are you the new Queen of Indusladies ,self proclaimed albeit ?:thumbup:

Sandycandy likes this.
  10. Deborah

Deborah Gold IL'ite

Why do you think she would be creating havoc in her daughter's life ? Unless we know the whole story /history ,should we be rushing to judge anyone ?

Sandycandy likes this.