1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Im I missing out something if I dont enrol my kids in too many classes?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by abc00, Dec 3, 2010.

1. abc00

abc00 Gold IL'ite

Hi all,

It is a general norm i have seen among Indians in US that they enrol their kids in many classes at the KG level itself.

My kids have just 2 classes once in a week and one in weekend. I dont belive in enrolling them in too many classes as I aim at perfection in one thing at a time.

My son aged 4 goes to an art class where he is learning to draw basic stuff and enjoying it.

Moreover kids get so tired and exhausted. This is my opinion. Im amazed and surprised when I got to hear recently that a child (aged 9yrs) goes for 11 different classes in a week.:bonk

Im I missing out something if im not planning it this way.

2. sudharam03

sudharam03 New IL'ite

hi

whatever u think is obviously right. Making the kids join in too many classes make them stretch a lot and they get irritated at time of classes. but do not stop them if they are interested.

like u said that u 've enrolled ur son in two classes. see if he is interested in two more like dance , musice of a G.K class or a maths class which makes his brain work more. as u know , the brain has to be engaged and it has to be totally occupied with some thing in his age so that it gets automatically used to it or send him to a shloka class which increases his memory power etc.

do not stretch them or dont keep them idle also. have a balanced schedule, so the brain will always be active. we at times think the child will not be able to do which will b very much easy for them to take up. so do not underestimate the kids.

3. Naksh

Naksh Platinum IL'ite

I shall adress each of the highlighted points colorwise.

Pink: A kid will miss his/her childhood if enrolled in 10001 classes...You did an excellet thing. Good Job.

Blue: I have seen this practice. They literally drian the hell out of those poor kids...the y would be hurrying to catch up with those stupid classes....during the time they should have been playing, having fun. Some Indians, this is another thin...force culture/classical dance/bgahgawadgeeta reciting/ ...n such without bothering to know if or whther they are njoying it or not...SAD.

Red: Poor Kid is all I can say.

in the name of competetion, getting ranks in so called hi-fi schools...poor kids are put under pressure. It happenes not only with the indian kids in the US...it s the same with the ones in India too...its a bit more there.....eamcet coaching for school goers,..and freaking Java for 8th stds....too much. And take the music competetions, how kids ar euner pressure when the results are being announced. and the stupid anchor enjoying the fun..does not have an idea of how to and what to do when.....how they cry on the screen when they are disqualified. poor things...my blood boils...seing those music competetions with kids participating......i myself being a stranger cannot sit steady seeing those kids cry....n under th epressure to win...how they sweet talk so as to gain judge's confidence...poor ones...cant imagine how those parents can let their little ones do all these..My wife gets to hear choiciest A class swear words used on the anchor, judges, n etc......:bonk

4. puni88

puni88 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I wouldn't just do things if somebody is doing it.
    I need not have to follow blindly others.

I would consider these factors:
    1. Interested to kids and enjoys them.
    2. Near by / easy access/ class timings works out for us.
    3. Helps them in their intellectual growth /their academic/ get some physical activities.

5. Mehana

Mehana Platinum IL'ite

Here many Indians are more interested in putting more classes and also some parents they literally compares with other child like my kid goes swimming, piano, kuman, sports y u didnt enroll ur kid?(I heard this from one of my friend). Most of the parents they voluntarily enroll their kids in different classes by comparing nearby friends.

If a kid is interested in soccer u can enroll him, whatever he is interested u can enroll him and also the kids should spend some time for playing.

ABC00 u did a good job just not following blindly.....