1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Ils Biased Nature Hurting Dh

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by smilingdoll, Sep 17, 2018.

1. nakshatra1

nakshatra1 Platinum IL'ite

@Minion
    Maybe you are correct . I've experienced much worse partiality from my inlaws.I don't care much about partiality in giving but disproportionate responsibility accompanied by constant dissatisfaction does hurt. Maybe my advice was colored by my own experience as I've come to accept partiality as normal and have no expectations . Sorry if I gave biased view. I assure u, with all these experiences I have resolved never to do any kind of discrimination between my kids which my husband have faced. I know how much it hurts him and how much my heart cries for his hurt .He doesn't care for money but even concern is lacking that's what hurts him .And he takes all responsibilities because he is good at heart I support him in that.

But yes I do believe that just like we don't like to take dowry from our parents same way we should not expect money or property from in-laws. Just asked OP to make sure she doesn't get any disproportionate responsibilities that's all.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
    shravs3 and sindmani like this.
  2. smilingdoll

smilingdoll New IL'ite

As ILs get holidays during summer so wanted to spend with grandson..my kid..they stay with us for month or 2.
    My kid goes to daycare for any holiday, never asked ILs to attend my kid.

3. Agathinai

Agathinai Gold IL'ite

Your thread made me think a lot about it. It’s pretty obvious about your in laws favouritism towards the younger sibling. It’s a real scenario in many houses.

It’s long standing and inspite of your husband having a talk, has not gone out well. That means it’s going to overflow onto your kids as well, being the less favourite grandkids. It will become obvious in due course of time. Often we hear that in laws favour their daughter and here it’s your BIL.

As all pointed secure your financial position because in times of need there is not going to be support from them for your family. @yellowmango - as she told what they sow so they reap. It might look rude and harsh by that saying but one needs to look at the bigger picture.

I am pretty sure that this favoritism had been going on since when your husband was young. Whether he noticed it or not or just ignored is for him to know. Where can you pitch in? By being a strong pillar of support for your husband and your kids. Never ever allow your in laws to talk low about your husband in front of you or near hearing distance. Cut it off as soon as you hear.

There are many online resources which show many incidents of parental bias towards one sibling. They are only humans with flaws. So unless they realise it we cannot do much other than to discuss or distance ourselves away. Here discussion has failed so maintain your distance.

shravs3, iamsrihere and smilingdoll like this.
  4. BerryPine

BerryPine Gold IL'ite

Dear op,
    Actually what is worrying you?
    Pil spending on BIL not on your h?
    Co sister is not making much effort as you towards pil yet still she is getting luxury financial support?

As far as you are not obliged to be part of the financial contributions,you can relax and be a listening ear for your h.
    I see this as more parenting toward the weak child. Is there any instance where you guys in need(actually asked for) of their fin support and been neglected? if yes then possibility of partiality, otherwise theyre just seeing you guys as bench mark of progression and tryna uplift the younger one equally which he isnt valuing.

how is the relationship between your h and his parents,h and BIL?
    Does your co sister knows about bil's debt?

smilingdoll likes this.
  5. smilingdoll

smilingdoll New IL'ite

Thanks YellowMango for the thoughts.I have read so many of your suggestions in other threads.. crisp and clear..

I dont think they resent about me being their DIL..However few points which may trigger ILs think abt me in negative aspect
    -FIL made BIL to ask me for a car loan on my name for BIL's Luxury..Car loan eligibility not there for BIL's salary --I resisted to take a loan for BIL..I dont encourage luxury when you cannot afford
    -In several instances ,ILs invited BIL family for lunch to my house .. BIL and Co-sister make us wait for them till 3PM,finally don't turn up for lunch/dinner and don't pick the calls.--I question ILs why they make me cook and waste food always if they don't have confirmation..BIL's family do the same stunt for cousins get-together or most of the family events.
    -I take good care of my DH and Son with frugal way of living,ILs take me for granted..Whereas Co-Sis create ruckus in every act/word from BIL and ILs.So ILs are worried about BIL wellbeing and fulfill all their demands.But in reality , BIL exaggerates Co-Sis's ruckus in front of ILs making them fear of his/daughter's well being
    -I could not tolerate when my MIL handpicked good fruits to BIL's family and left all spoiled ones to my kid..told them to avoid giving fruits for us going forward and send complete carton to BIL's family only..(BIL is diabetic and should not eat fruits with high glucose content..)..I ignored all partiality and I dont have any right to question them for their money,but giving spoiled fruits to my kid and DH..I could not tolerate these kind of incidents
    -I openly ask ILs and dont use DH as catalyst...

I assume at least they should not think ILL about me.When I was newly married ,I did not resist the stay of BIL and DH's cousin with us (myself and DH) ..I used to cook lunch/dinner for them daily (including complete pregnancy term) while I was working lady with zero support from any of those folks..

6. smilingdoll

smilingdoll New IL'ite

Thanks BerryPine for your time
    I introspected several times when I had same questions in past..but answer is No
    DH and PILs are in good terms but somewhere inside PILs strongly feel that we should entertain BIL family's irrespective of their behavior towards us..but I cannot bring down my/DH self respect when we are not treated with due respect..So we maintain just hi and bye ....
    Co-sister is well aware about all debts..

7. DXBDesi

DXBDesi Silver IL'ite

Such things are easier said then done....

And when it comes to parent-child relationships, unfortunately people have to let go of past grievances if circumstances change ....

smilingdoll and nakshatra1 like this.
  8. nakshatra1

nakshatra1 Platinum IL'ite

All this is theoretically making sense but not good practically . Should we abandon our parents if they squandered away their money and have nowhere to go ? Just because we did not get anything from them should we just let them become.destitute and uncared for ?

No matter what they do , they are her husband's parents and he can't just abandon their responsibilities if tomorrow their parents need them .

The best thing to do is tell the parents now that first they have to keep aside something for their own future before giving away everything to the other son . That's the only solution .No matter what they should take responsibility of parents in future if it comes .

smilingdoll likes this.
  9. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Op...same issues here.
    The only way forward is to mind your finances and plan your life seperately from them . Do not ever get involved in joint investments.

smilingdoll, Agathinai and sindmani like this.
  10. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

I clearly mentioned don't expect anything from them .
    The point is regarding spoiling one child and sqandering all money on him and then expecting to be taken care of .
    If parents are poor or helpless ,it is one thing .
    But when parents themselves spoil their son's future and their future,then they should not expect the world from the non fav child.

A warning given at the right time may make them think.Taking care of parents is their call and they can do it inspite of warning the parents in advance.

If not for themselves,at least for the sake of their fav son,they will realise that the other son is not going to take responsibility of their ladla ( favourite son) after they are gone.
    If someone is jumping in the well,you need to warn before the person jumps and not repent after the person is in the well.

That is what my post meant.....may be not as politically correct as yours.

It is not theoritical...I told them to stop expecting us to take care of ladla ( favourite son) in future, from the money we are saving for our kids. We are no longer expected to and there is a change in their attitude towards the free flow towards ladla.
    Earlier we were asked money for things like house repairs while the ladla was given money for luxuries.

If you are not ready to fight for the future of your family,then there is no point in crying when it is too late.