1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Ihd

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by satchitananda, Mar 7, 2017.

1. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Tomorrow is International Womens' Day. Just a passing thought. Why do we need a Womens' Day, a Mens' Day, a Mothers' Day, Fathers' Day ......?

Are we defined by these titles? What is common to all these 'sections' of people? That they are human?

Some like to stay at home and look after family, some like to go to work, some identify themselves differently from what others see them. Why not just let everyone be? A woman who likes to be a pilot or wear trousers does not become a male nor a man who likes to cook or likes to dress in skirts female. Male, female, gender just describe a biological part of a human being. Does that part define the human being? Who defined what one should do, how one should feel, what one should wear?

Except when asked, what do we identify ourselves as? Do we always see ourselves as men or women or just 'I'? Does the 'I' have a gender?

Shouldn't we be celebrating an International Human Day, where we recognize the right of every human being to be just human - irrespective of gender, gender identity and all the other differences which separate human being from human being?

2. ashima10

ashima10 Platinum IL'ite

International human day will be too much , we have already salman khan with being human tag along with him which is pretty ironical . So we know how relevant these terminologies are.
    Although I don't believe in such days, but as long as it makes even 30 % of the women happy and make them feel special quoting this reason , I think it's ok to have them .
    Sometimes all we need is a reason , and reasons may not have a reason . :)
    Ramblings of my minds !

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
    kaniths, Amica, knbg and 1 other person like this.
  3. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

No we don't really need any special day. I also don't mean the word 'human' as in a quality, but just as a species - a human being. What hurts is the hype behind the day and finally ground realities don't necessarily change - if anything we hear of worse atrocities year after year.

sindmani, ashima10 and Mistt like this.
  4. ashima10

ashima10 Platinum IL'ite

true humans are all about irony nowadays . With brain didnt come special knowledge with brain came our ability to outpass the shrewdness one can make .
    And off course it's all commercialized ! Marketing is Mani agenda .
    But I still feel even if it makes a percentage happy being in bubble give them a day !
    Those who truelly believe dsnt need any day those who don't need them either . It's all MBA.

Amica and satchitananda like this.
  5. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Satchi,

All these days have become commercial due to opportunity to sell something. Scriptures clearly described the role of men and women in the society. As the time evolved, women performed a lot more duties than what they are expected to perform. Scriptures said that women should be treated as equals and revered as Goddess. How many men do that in the present day situation? When men perform rituals, women by facilitating the processes, gets 50% of the fortunes of performing such rituals.

Now, men don't perform rituals including offerings to ancestors and Devathas. Those rituals are introduced to please them so that they could bless the living beings with good fortunes. I am not sure at what point of time the society became patriarchal. Because of suppression of women in some parts of the world, the women's day gained prominence in order to fix the society in those parts of the world.

It all boils down to right living practiced by the human beings in the world. In Treda Yuga, there was only one monster in the form of Ravana who destroyed the humanity. So Rama avatar came to destroy that evil. In Dwapara Yuga, there were more evil beings but still handful only and Krishna Avatar came to destroy them. In Kali Yuga, every human being has good and bad qualities, if bad qualities are to be destroyed, every human being should be extinguished. Therefore, such days help us get to the roots of our past practices.

Gender is irrelevant and right living whatever gender one belongs is much more important. The gender differences at a physical level is only for procreation to give opportunity for the human beings to come back to eliminate their encryption. Frankly, all life in the world at spiritual level belong to only one gender and the other gender being the divine spark. Connecting those two makes one liberate.

Viswa

Mistt and satchitananda like this.
  6. maggi32

maggi32 IL Hall of Fame

On a lighter note: Why Satchi Why? U dont like me getting gifted from my DH, Manager, Friends et al? ;)

sindmani, Amica, Rajeni and 1 other person like this.