1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Ignored By Bil Since Many Many Years

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by sunshine2017, Sep 24, 2019.

1. sunshine2017

sunshine2017 New IL'ite

I am a working women with 1 small kid.Married life wasn't easy for me.Me and my husband had faced too many issues until almost our 5th anniversary.Its been just 4 years now that things are finally settling down.When we had issues,our parents had also fought with each other.And my husband had confided the issues between us to his brother on 1-2 occasions.This I came to know very late.

The current situation : Relation has improved between me and my husband.I am also having a pretty decent relationship with my MIL and FIL.

My concern is : My BIL hasn't spoken to me since many years but talks to my husband though.He wants to however visit my house and play with my kid.The reason being he is the type of person who holds grudges for years together.My husband has never resolved this issue with either his brother or mother.He is scared of his mom.And my MIL is the type who has never admitted any wrong done by younger son.BIL is unmarried and stays closeby.I am the type who cannot tolerate being ignored.I politely told my husband that I don't want to see his face every now and then.So we agreed that once a month we would drop my daughter there.However my BIL isn't allowed to come to my house.

My concern here is : The issue is resolved that I don't have to see BILs face.
    However chances are high that soon my MIL might object to him not being allowed in my house.
    My husband is supportive even though not vocally and agreed that he will never mention this reason to MIL and ensure BIL doesn't come to our house.
    How can I ignore someone who will continue to ignore me no matter how good I am.
    I don't want to be affected by him ignoring me. This has worried me for years together.
    I have come a long way in life....frm being on verge of divorce to living a fulfilling life with husband n daughter.
    Also my MIL N FIL are doing just fine.how to count my blessings and ignore the black SHEEP (BIL !)

Any inputs are appreciated.

This forum has been with me since day 1 of my marriage.I am greatful for all the advice.

2. Anusha2917

Anusha2917 IL Hall of Fame

OP break the ice with BIL.
    You don't have to develop a bond with him but just a hi bye how are you kind of talk should be fine.

Since you both aren't directly involved in any altercation , you don't owe an apology to him and I'm assuming whatever happened is because in your bad marriage days your hubby would have shared things with his brother. Now that everything is back to normal with husband I don't see why BIL is still angry on you. He may not be angry but kind of in an egoistic situation where he is not able to talk to you.

I think you should have a word with your husband and tell him to advice his Lil bro to not have any grudges on you . If you have done this then pls ignore.

Next time when a situation comes either at your house or his their house break the ice with a simple " how is your work " kind of questions.

You being elder(in terms of age is my assumption, but relationship wise you are elder to him) to him I feel there's no harm in you breaking the ice. This would do good to you on a long run as this situation
    is avoided.

shravs3 likes this.
  3. sunshine2017

sunshine2017 New IL'ite

I have spoken multiple times.Almost to the extend of losing my self respect.but he is the type who will forget 100 good thing u did.And hold on a grudge to 1 bad thing u might have said or done.Which u dont even realise might hurt anyone.

4. sunshine2017

sunshine2017 New IL'ite

My husband even though is a great hubby.He always plays it safe by staying away from his family regarding clarifying my position.he doesnt want his mom or brother to think that he sides his wife

5. sunshine2017

sunshine2017 New IL'ite

He is elder to me.Despite that behaves in such immatured manner.

6. sunshine2017

sunshine2017 New IL'ite

To top it all,I am the type of person who always keeps everyones opinion before i do anything.I consider everyone in my family.I and very sensitive.So this is hurting me.I want to be strong because :
    1)BIL is a level headed guy who has cut off relations with many relatives.
    2)He is just close to his mom.Hence my MIL blindly supports him.And never tells him tat he is wrong.
    3)I dont want to spoil my happy life thinking about someone who should hardly matter.
    4)Apart from him,i dont have any major issues with my husband or in laws !

7. Anusha2917

Anusha2917 IL Hall of Fame

He has a tough life ahead is all I can say.
    Since you have attempted from your end to talk to him, I don't see any reason for you to worry about anything going forward . If MIL objects to certain things I would say ignore their attitude royally.
    This is important and keep reminding yourself this.

And wanted to add that no he's not worth your time.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
    Sunshine04 and sunshine2017 like this.
  8. meVaidehi

meVaidehi Platinum IL'ite

Apart from this tension between you and BIL, how is his relationship with your husband and daughter? If he is a good brother and uncle, I would rather not strain those beautiful relations. So maybe sometimes go for a nice walk or shopping or temple or parlour and let them have a nice time by themselves.
    He is unmarried so it is likely he is not mature enough to understand the intricacies of married relationships. Could be that something you said or did to his beloved brother and/parents that he can't get over even though they have. Give him time he will come around. Also retrospect whether you did something that might have hurt him so much. See if you can see your fault and tell him why and how you came to that stage. Say sorry and promise him you would love to keep the cordial relationships that have been established since. If he is such protective person to hold grudge for years, he also is capable of loving your daughter so much.
    On the flip side if you are sure this is unfounded grudge, just ignore him and stop even thinking about any of these issues. Focus on your life and leave him be.

9. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Read the above excerpts from your post.
    A girl-child should stay in her familiar grounds. Never alone with weird, unmarried uncles, that her mother has opinions about.
    Swallow your distaste for your BIL, and watch your child for her own safety.
    If you choose safety for your child, you'd also achieve a few other benefits you'd already listed.
    [ since you had asked for "any input", I had given you what I think]

SCA, beautifullife30, Radha99 and 6 others like this.
  10. Metamorphic

Metamorphic Platinum IL'ite

Some relationships are hard to ignore. This is one such. I think your husband should have a matured talk with his bro and ask him to put the past behind and treat you with basic civility and respect. You should ask your husband to do this. If he doesn't, may be you should do that in your husband's presence. Have an open conversation with your BIL about his current behaviour for some past reasons. Provided, you think, relationship with your BIL is worth this move.

Without addressing the core conflicts where this un-forgiveness is stemming up from, trying to say some random formal stuff when meeting each other and expecting him to also do the same will do no good. If you think he lacks that maturity and courage to face the issues in an open conversation, then you should learn to ignore too and carry not hate.