1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

If you are happy and you know it...!!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by polymorphic, Dec 3, 2011.

1. polymorphic

polymorphic Platinum IL'ite

When anybody is asked what they want in life? They pause and try to think of a well thought-out reply.. and finally almost 90% of our answer will be.."we want to be happy".. We all know that.. Everybody wants to be happy.. but the next question.. ok so "what do you think will make you happy?" ... Then our minds starts racing... as if a fairy godmother is granting us a wish and really we will be happy ever after.. I have noticed myself asking these questions very often... as to what will guarantee me happiness throughout my life.. I dont know the answer, or atleast dont know one single answer which is panacea for all unhappy people. If I knew, I would be the most famous person in this world!!

So what can make us happy - money, fame, friends, relationships, kids, career, charity. Does this always guarantee happiness? No, today you may have a good career, tomorrow they may fire you or you may have to quit for other priorities. Today, you have a good marriage and a supporting spouse, but tomorrow they may turn back and call you names or not love you anymore. Then, my question was- is it right to place our happiness in the hands of such transient things?

The only solution to my unending quench for what happiness really means is nothing new. "Do your best and leave the rest to God". This has been told over and over by our great philosphers and also in "Bhagavad Gita". Whenever I have been faced with problems, I have been blessed enough to remember God and understand that I am never alone in my problems. It helps us get over our misery faster without any grudges on anybody because we never gave the right to anyone else to hurt us. It has always been about me and God with a one to one relationship. In depressing times, I have imagined God to be physically sitting above my head watching over me. I have fooled myself a lot like this but it has worked :) I have always gone past my troubles and issues with conviction. Everthing else is temporary and this is the only truth. Even after knowing it, we never follow it or remember him.. then who is to blame.. and then we again start our race for happiness.

10 people like this.

2. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Poly dear I also feel Do the best and leave the rest to God. He has always been with me guiding me when I faced problems. If we have faith in Him , He shows us the way for every problem

It isn’t what you have, or who you are, or where you are, or what you are doing that makes you happy or unhappy. It is what you think about.” – Dale Carnegie

Just read these lines somewhere

Learn to enjoy every minute of your life. BE HAPPY NOW !!! Don't wait for something outside of yourself to make you happy in the future. Think how really precious is the time you have to spend, whether it's at work or with your family. Live life so completely that even death comes to you like a thief in the night, there will be nothing left for hime to steal. :) :) :)

2 people like this.
  3. amunique

amunique Gold IL'ite

very true.. well said... never search happiness outside.. its always within us...

4. polymorphic

polymorphic Platinum IL'ite

Yes, Vijima. I was not in a very good state of mind when i wrote this thread but i knew if i pen down my thoughts I will feel better and also reading other posts in this section cheered me up a lot. Sometimes, we need to distract ourselves frm our worries. Thanks for taking the time for giving fb :)

5. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Polymorphic,

When I read your title, I was reminded of of course, "if you are happy and you know it, clap your hands" nursery rhyme. My kids always add other things like....if you are happy, touch your knees, give mom a hug etc. I personally think that rhyme should have been, "if you clap your hands, remember you are happy.....if you touch your nose, you are happy"......since we do these things more often and hence can easily learn to be happy day in and day out :)

7 people like this.
  6. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Poly,

A beautiful post and i could not agree with u more. what is it that we want to be happy.Even after we get it, we are still not happy.

i feel today is the happiest time of our lives whatever condition we may be in.You know why ?

For example u are unhappy that u have no job, mortgages to pay, etc etc. But on the other side, today ur parents are alive, u are hale and hearty, yr kids are healthy. mayb e a few years down the line, yr parents are no more, u have had a paralytic attack, who knows ,what happens, but then u have lots of money at that time.

So where is the happiness then ?

As u rightly quoted the Geeta, i too agree with it, do yr best , leave to god the rest. Every new car we buy or a mobile we grow sick of it after a while, correct ?

let me tell u a little about myself and how i grapple with this . there was a time i was broke, but i somehow beleived God will come to my rescue, which he did, and made me finacially stable. i have lost the desires for material things, i just am grageful for the basic things, i have my own paid up house, old cars of maruti, 15,10 and 6 years old, which i drive happily, dont hanker for i phones, new cars, mobiles.

For these things serve my purpose. i have enough for basic luxuries, like computer , interbet broadband, clothes that are decent, though few years old, and i dont feel inferior, no desire anything much, i turn away my eyes when i dont want to acquire something, even if i can afford it, if the present thing is still serving its purpose.

Sorry for the long FB, cpuld not help it, the post of yrs was so good.

Regards

kamal

2 people like this.
  7. prana

prana IL Hall of Fame

Polymorphic, I too like this Mantra from Bhagavat Gita..WHenever U feel upset or whenever you didnt get what u deserved, this mantra surely would make us feel better..
    I think after writing this snippet, you would feel better..
    Nice post..

1 person likes this.
  8. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Hi Polymorphic,

We never know what would make us happy, do we? And should we think there is something that would, and actually get it, often we wonder if this was what we really wanted. In other words, it doesn't make us happy. Or by the time we get it, we don't want it any more.

I guess the secret of happiness is to just be happy things are as they are. Good, bad or ugly. When things are good, rejoice. When things are bad, remember it could have been much worse. And when things are ugly, it can only be an upward journey from there. You know P, I had a shoulder surgery last Jan. On the day of the surgery, the anaesthetic and pain relieving shot were so effective, I did not feel the pain at all. That was a wonderful feeling. But much to my discomfiture or should I say fright, I could not figure out where my arm was. The anaesthetic had worked a bit too efficiently. Believe me when I tell you, I was greatly relieved at the first signs of pain made themselves felt the next morning, I was over the moon. I still had my arm! And the pain was a welcome indicator of that.

So happiness is a very strange thing. It comes when you least expect it and you find it where you least expect it to be. And when you go chasing it, it can prove to be the most elusive beast in the world.

Glad to hear that writing here cheered you up. And by the way, you did not fool yourself into believing what you did. What you believed was true.

So hey ho. Wish you a lot of happiness in life. :-D

5 people like this.
  9. EverHappy

EverHappy Platinum IL'ite

Hi Polymorphic,

Me too, when I read your title I remembered my nursery rhyme and smiled :)
    I think happiness is a state of mind, and any state of mind is our decision. So being Happy is just your decision to be happy!!

It all boils down to the principle of equanimity. Pain is an interval between pleasures, and so is pleasure an interval between two pains. When this is just an interval why be so pained or elated. Treat both pleasure and pain equally; welcome both with the same arms. It is difficult, but the right thing to do, as said in Gita.

Of course yes, how we achieve this is by thinking, put your 100% and leave it all to God, for without His will even a single blade of grass will not move (in my mother’s words)

Wish you loads of happiness, and strength. :)
    Be Happy always :)

1 person likes this.
  10. vchelluri

vchelluri Gold IL'ite

Hi Polymorphic,

As Bhargavi said, I too got reminded of the nursery rhyme "If you happy and you know it....." as I started reading your post.

Life is a mixture of things - happiness, sadness, success, failures, expectations, disappointments, altogether bring a meaning to our life. We cannot cherish a single emotion without the knowledge of other. So when we make a habit of taking everything into our life with equal gratitude, we will feel more peace at the end of the day even after having a very tough day.

Thought of sharing a few quotes from my dairy.

There is only one way to happiness, and that is to cease worrying things which are beyond the power of our will.
    Epictetus

Happiness is not a state to arrive at, but a manner of traveling.
    Margaret Lee Runbeck

No man is happy who does not think himself so.
    Publilius Syrus

So feel happy and make the people around you feel happy.

Regards,
    Latha.