Idly rava batter

Discussion in 'Cuisines of India' started by praveenaMom, Feb 18, 2012.

1. praveenaMom

praveenaMom New IL'ite

Hi Friends

I'm very new to this site... hope u all accepting me as ur friend.

I need a help from u all, usually i prepare idly batter using "idli rava". As usual yesterday also i prepared,my proportion is 1 cup urad dal : 2 cups idli rava.
    I soaked urad dal for 3 hrs, and idli rava for 1 hour... i grind urad dal nicely, and idli rava little bit only... i left for fermentation , then today evening only it got fermented.. then today night when i tried to prepare idly, i really disappointed of that batter. its like very silky, there is no thickness & quality in that batter, idly also did not come well. The taste also very different, we could not eat idli(kind of), idli is so sticky... i mixed little idli rava with batter again even the taste is not good. i dont know what went wrong with this? May be if i grind idli rava long time, the batter become like mine? i could not waste the batter as i grind large quantity.. wat to do? what i have to add to use this batter? Which ingredient 'll be helpful to get gud idlies...

Please friends,help me.... i'm expecting eagerly....

-PraveenaMom

2. sivaranjaniadi

sivaranjaniadi Bronze IL'ite

hi pravena,
    i seen vides of rava idly in u tube, u try that, its good.
    take care.

siva

3. Coffeelover

Coffeelover Platinum IL'ite

Welcome to IL> This is one of the best site for Women. Do Search for Chitra Viswanathan's reicpes here. She has done a brilliant job. Once you find it, you wouldn't look at any other site for vegetarian food. I made a lot of dishes from her. She is very nice and friendly lady. If you have any questions, send her the post and she replies back. Good luck.
    Hope to see you often.

4. Coffeelover

5. praveenaMom

praveenaMom New IL'ite

Thu u Friend... i'll find in you tube... but i want to know waht went wrong with my batter? i want to know in which other way i can use this batter without wasting it.... once again thx for ut post

-Praveenamom

6. praveenaMom

praveenaMom New IL'ite

Hiii!!! thx for the warm welcome.. thk u so much for the post... i'll see Chitra's recipes soon...

In the meantime i want to know wat went wrong wi my batter & how can i use that in other way without wasting it.... can u pls give some ideas...

Thx in advance..

-Praveenamom

7. Coffeelover

ask Chitra vish. She answers it right away.

8. priya20coool

priya20coool Bronze IL'ite

You can change your idly rava... Buy what you call Idly Rice... Its actually boiled rice... The process is same but the ratio is 3:1... 3 cups of idly rice and one cup of urad dhal... And do a coarse batter, not too coarse or not too fine.. This should give you good batter....

And for your old batter, try to cook the idly and then fry it.. Or prepare dosa after doing a grind once again.. Fried idlies taste great, and you wont feel the bad taste of batter much...

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  9. praveenaMom

praveenaMom New IL'ite

Thk u so much priya.... Ya,as u said i hav to grind batter using idlirice hereafter, bcoz of my laziness, i tried this method & got bulb:( Then, ur idli fry idea is great, 2mrw i'll try & give u a feedback... In today's cost of groceries,i dont want to waste that batter.....