Idlis turning red

Discussion in 'Cuisines of India' started by sonuchinni, Jun 14, 2012.

1. NirmalaGoofy

NirmalaGoofy Gold IL'ite

When I add methi seeds, the idli turn darker but not deep red or brown. May be very light brown. It depends on the frementation also I think, because same rice and dhal, some days it is normal some days it turns brown.

2. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

For some reason my idlis turned brownish today. Nothing different that I have done. The dough did not rise even after 24 hours, the batter had a slightly different colour on top. Could not help thinking 'Serratia marcescens'. Any conclusion on this? Looked up Google and this was the first thread on the list.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

3. Lakshmipav

Lakshmipav Silver IL'ite

I think it's because the dough did not rise even after 24 hours .. I used to get same kind of color when I stayed at newyork dough never used to rise ( 2 days ) in winter due to cold ..the kind of brown layer I see forming on barter ..

the color could be the result of that .. It's better to find why it's not raised .. Heat kneading bacteria are reasons for rising dough .. I always used to put dough in oven with light on to provide heat ..

do u add poha methi seeds ( only 4 seeds I will add ) ..check the dal n rava too sometimes my mil used to say old rava used results diff color ..

4. satchitananda

I do add methi seeds, no poha added. The dal has been bought very recently, though can't say how long it was there in the store. I don't use rava. I buy idli rice and grind it.

5. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

May be that idli rice was boiled rice, which has red tint in it. I too add methi, but may be it give little yellowish color if we add so many methiseeds.

6. satchitananda

No, KF. It is boiled idli rice which white in colour. Anyway, found out it was fungus and threw out the whole lot of batter and idlis.

7. sanskruthi

sanskruthi Silver IL'ite

During winter when batter doesnt ferment properly even after 24 hrs, the batter changes colour. It becomes yellow or brown.

8. Sanjivbendre

Sanjivbendre New IL'ite

9. Sanjivbendre

Sanjivbendre New IL'ite

I too faced this problem.
    I used Urad dal and not floor.
    Idli rawa was not baked.
    urad to idli rawa ratio 1:2
    No methi was used.
    Added only sat after seperstely wetgrinding and mixing.
    Idlied turned slightly red when 8 hrs furmented mix was used.
    Idlied turned more red when 8 hrs furmented mix was used after keeping in freeze for 4 days.

I too need the solution.

10. Realbharat

Realbharat New IL'ite

I encountered the same problem today. But I had made idlis from same batter yesterday, which were perfect. Today they have turned red. I am also worried if it is because of some reaction in the batter and also not sure if it can be consumed or not.