Idlis turning red

Discussion in 'Cuisines of India' started by sonuchinni, Jun 14, 2012.

1. cherylanand

cherylanand New IL'ite

Hi Ladies,
    I really need some expert advice on this. My idlis almost always turn out a dirty colour, never white. I follow the traditional 4:1 ratio with idli rice and urad dal. I never add fenugreek even. What is the reason for it to turn brown? The funny thing is that more steaming time makes it turn a darker shade of brown. So I have to be careful not to over steam it. Every time I open the steaming vessel with dread, thinking what shade of brown is going to greet me. Very often I am in tears that my idlis never turn out white! But this problem I have had only in the past 2 years. For about 10 years before that , I never faced this problem at all. Please help!
    Cheryl

2. simpleMom

simpleMom Gold IL'ite

Do you mix baking soda? If yes, do you mix it well with the batter?

3. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Has the water in your area changed?

4. samantha2k

samantha2k New IL'ite

Hi,
    Try adding salt while mixing the batter. This happened to me once and my mother in law told the batter turns bitter they come out that color.

5. Ansuya

Ansuya Platinum IL'ite

Cooking is chemistry (just ask Walter White), so I would think GH's line of inquiry here may be the pertinent one. Is your cookware/storage container reactive? Certain metals, like aluminum, can react chemically with your food and change its taste or color.

Questions and Answers - What is a Non-Reactive Pan, Reactive Pan vs Non-Reactive Pan

Since idli batter is fermented, there may be some sort of reaction going on here. Or, maybe it is your water, if you live in an area with hard water or high metal content.

Try changing the containers you store/cook your idli in, and see if this makes a difference. This might be the problem, especially if for 8 years, your idlis were fine, and now they're not.

Disclaimer: I suck at chemistry, and I know next to nothing about idli. My theory may be the start of something here, but maybe someone else can make better sense of what exactly the problem may be.

6. nemesis

nemesis Platinum IL'ite

+1. Suggests some metal contamination.

7. joylokhi

joylokhi Platinum IL'ite

Hi,
    you could try using the following proportions: 3 cups idli rice,1 cup raw rice and 1 cup full round Urud dhal to which 1 tsp of methi is added. Do not add soda or any fermenting agent. Add salt after grinding and allow to ferment. Try changing your idli vessel to see whether it has something to do with the metal. Hope the above helps.

8. Bhuvie

Bhuvie New IL'ite

"I am having the same problem. I used a stainless steel vessel and idli plates. It might be the water"

9. Parvathyt

Parvathyt New IL'ite

Hi Ladies,
    I live in UK and the water here is good only. I use the ultra grinder to do the batter and use 5:1 ratio idli rice and urad dhal. Soak them seperately for 8 hours and blend them seperately, mixed them together with salt at the end. My idlis almost always turn out a dirty colour, never white. Never added fenugreek. Changed my idli vessel from aluminum to stainless steel, changed the cloth on the idli plate, no luck.

What is the reason for it to turn brown? The funny thing is that more steaming time makes it turn a darker shade of brown. So I have to be careful not to over steam it. Never faced this problem at all in India and it is happening often in UK. Dough color is white only.

Is there anything wrong with the blender, dough. Is it good to eat the idli. Sometimes my dosa color is also changing if the use the same batter for making dosa.

Cheryl

10. vaidehi71

vaidehi71 IL Hall of Fame

Could be the issue with the rice.

Use 4 cups rice to one cup urid dhal and try. My guess that is all.