1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

idli batter----Grinder ,mixie in USA

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by mirrorimage, Sep 14, 2014.

1. mirrorimage

mirrorimage Silver IL'ite

okay...we are spending so much for readymade batter..I want a grinder in USA .
    I have a mixi..but I cannot grind batter in that...
    the mixi jar has to be held in had else it will fly...
    and for batter I somehow feel it takes lot of time to keep holding the cap and grinding it...

So is I want to know what you people do?
    Grinder is also so costly here!!
    is there any cheap grinders? or mixie where in i need not hold the jar everytime for hours together while grinding idli batter...
    I am interested to know what what you people do..

2. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I would suggest the ultra grinder from amazon. I bought one from India and got it rewound for 110 volts. I then put it in my shipment. It took my shipment three months to get here. I did pay extra for rewinding the motor to 110v and when I calculated the price, there was not much of a difference. It would have been a lot easier to buy on amazon.
    I also bought a Mixie from India. The store I bought from ended up winding it wrong. The Mixie worked but was not at all efficient. I took it back, got it repaired but it still didn't work. Finally I bought a butterfly Mixie from amazon. I hate the plastic jars but it works really well. Lesson learned, I'm never bringing appliances from India.

3. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

Laks09, what do you mean by rewound? I got a 110 volts mixie and grinder from India, Premier or some such brand... it was 110 volts when I bought it and it seems to be working fine.

Mirrorimage, I looked at the price of wet grinders online and I don't see toomuch of a difference in the price between buying it here and getting it from India.

4. deepv

deepv Platinum IL'ite

5. 2babymom

2babymom Bronze IL'ite

You can use oster brand mixer for grinding batter for idli and dosas. They are available at walmart or target for $20. if you want a small jar for that you can use mason jars also available at target or walmart, works very well for batter or masalas

6. Harithag

Harithag Gold IL'ite

I second 2babymom. One of my friend handover me her oster blender when she was leaving for India.its works fine for Idly and dosa batters.i use this blender only for batters.for masalas,smoothies,milkshakes I use magicbullet.

Actually I thought of buying wet grinder,but after using oster I don't think I want a grinder anymore.

I happen to see a video on how to make idly batter using walmart blender.its very informative.

7. JustMyself

JustMyself Gold IL'ite

For almost 2 years, I was using blenders from USA. The trick is to just add a little bit cooked rice to idli for fluffiness. Otherwise it was fantastic.

I had neither a mixie or a grinder, just the blender. I later learnt oster also, has a mini-jar as accessory, which would be great for chutney.

8. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

I agree with Laks.
    The Ultra grinder from Amazon seems like a good buy. I have an old grinder my parents brought from India many years ago, but if I were to buy today I would get it locally.
    If you are in an area with a good Indian population, I would look in the desi electronics shops.

9. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

PT,
    Buy a 220 volt appliance of your choice and get the motor winding redone to accept 110 volts. I don't like Sumeet/butterfly or other brands that have 110v mixes. I just buy my preferred brand and get its motor converted.

OP,
    I hate grinding batter in a mixie because of the amount I grind in one shot. If you grind lesser quantities a mixie should work perfectly.