1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Ideas To Increase Calorie Intake In Toddler.

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by viki123, Jun 23, 2016.

1. viki123

viki123 Silver IL'ite

My DS had his 2 year check yesterday and his weight was not good in fact it dropped. Doctor has asked me to increase his food calorie intake and aim at gaining around 1/2 pound of weight every month.
    He is slightly picky eater and taste specific, he don't like egg, i have tried boiled, scrambled, omelets no use,
    milk , Non-Veg (egg and fish) & lentils is also a big no. Below is his food schedulw. I am looking for ideas to increase his calories intake.

Height is 36'' 87percentile
    Weight is 24Lb 7 Percentile
    BMI <1 percentile.

Morning 7:30: Ragi malt with jaggery and milk about 4-6 oz
    Breakfast 8:30: Idli with sugar /French toast/Pancakes or Dosa with cream cheese. If he refuses to eat i give him fruit bar after 30 min. Mostly he eats it.
    Mind morning snack 10: Day care snack mostly cookies, crackers or fruit
    Lunch 11: Pasta with veggies or quesadilla made with veggie paratha and cheese. Some times he doesn't eat the quesadilla then teacher gives him banana.
    Evening snack 2:30: Yogurt & fruit
    Evening snack at 4:30: Day care snack mostly cookies, crackers or fruit and some cookies or popcorn while driving back homes
    Dinner 7:00: Roasted veggies / veg curry with Rice and Yogurt. If he refuses rice he eats only veggies & yogurt.

2. Lxcxxz

Lxcxxz Senior IL'ite

Does he like the snacks? If so you could make your own versions and 'hide' high calorie foods in them. For instance make 'dosa' by adding plain liquidized baby pasta/eggs to the rice batter etc

blindpup10 likes this.
  3. Sandhya13

Sandhya13 Gold IL'ite

Even though he is somewhat picky, he seems to be eating fairly nutritious food. You are doing a good job!

When it comes to increasing calorie intake, the first thing that comes to my mind is dry fruits and nuts, specifically cashew nuts. Cashews are very tasty too. So, he might like it. You could also give him peanut butter.

I think the main reason behind not gaining weight is not drinking milk at all. From when did he stop drinking milk? Can you offer him milk (whole organic) again and see? Kids change their preferences often. Maybe he will like now. Also offer him whipped whole cream as a snack. It is high in calories as well as nutritious.

Whenever you give idly/dosa, add ghee generously. Do you make cottage/amish cheese pancakes? Those are very delicious as well as rich in calories.

This is all I could think as of now. If I think of some more ideas, I will drop by.

4. viki123

viki123 Silver IL'ite

@Sandhya13,
    This list is what i am offering him, He eats fruits, veggies, yogurt and cheese with out any issues, all others is a hit or miss. He hates me feeding him and will eat on his own, so force feeding is also out of list. He likes raising and i give him as snack during weekend. Nuts he doesn't like, i have tried peanut butter & chutney and he will spit it. With cashews we always has throw-ups after eating them.

Milk was the battle for me from his birth, he just used to have BM, no formula that too not more than 4oz. I have tried chocolate milk, it worked only for 2-3 days and back to square now, only Raggi malt he seems to like.
    I haven't tried cream or cottage cheese, will try that & see if it works.
    I add ghee to his food where ever i can.

@Lxcxxz
    I tried egg in his paratha and he doesn't like it.

5. Sandhya13

Sandhya13 Gold IL'ite

I give this for breakfast for my DS and he likes it. Almost all days he eats breakfast but lunch and dinner is a hit or miss.

I take 1.5 cups of water and add a little over a handful of raisins. Once it starts boiling I simmer, add cinnamon and cardamom powder and let it stay on stove for 5 mins. Then I add almost 1/2 cup of oatmeal and then when it is done I blend it in the mixee along with water and 5 almonds. My DS likes this. The texture will be same as ragi kanji. So, you can try this and see if you want him to eat almonds.

6. deepthyanoop

deepthyanoop Gold IL'ite

If he likes yoghurt, try adding some almond butter/ cashew butter in it( just smoothly ground nuts with or without some olive oil). You can sweeten the yoghurt by adding date paste/ raisin paste. These are high in calories too. My son is picky too. One day I made some creamy chana dal soup with some potatoes and carrots and almonds when he refused his khichdi. Cook the chana dal after soaking with the vegetables and when it cools down, puree it to a smooth texture. Texture was very smooth and fluffy( almost hummus like). He loved it.

And don't worry more about the weight if he is active and happy. You are giving him nutritious food already. Children will grow at their pace.

viki123 likes this.
  7. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

@viki123
    Congratulations on 2 yr milestone. Time flies. Mine daughter has visit tomorrow and will know how she doing weightwise.

I would say keep trying everything on/off. Their habits and tastes change a lot. I put lot of oil/olive oil and ghee in our foods. My H eews many times but I tell him its for her.
    If your boy loves nuts, give him few everyday like in car. Keep tiny bags in car. (be careful of kids choking on nuts).
    I put sugar in her milk (this actually started as constipation remedy, now she got into habit of drinking sweet milk which is trouble when we are out, so will not recommend)

string cheese, indian cheese, avocado and potatoes/sweet potatoes or fries. ( If not directly, put it in his food)

Just keep trying and offering different foods. My LO does not like any fruits spec tangy fruits like oranges ( used to eat before), and sweet things like raisins but I noticed many times when we are out travelling, If offer her she eats 1 or 2 slices.. good for me.

8. viki123

viki123 Silver IL'ite

9. viki123

viki123 Silver IL'ite

@sanjuruby3
    Congratulations to you too.

MY car is full of biscuits, propcorn packets ect. He needs food while in car keep him quite :). I have tried nuts but he just doen't eat them in any form. Same with egg, he eats whites some times but yellow is big no. Non-Veg is out of question.
    Since 2 days he started drinking milk. I switch to Costco from grassfed, i think he liked it, let see how many days it goes.
    During weekend i have started giving him pudding along with fruit. These are the changes have done since last 2 weeks hope this helps. Fruits and veggies i have no problem is eats all of them.

How is ur DD's speech ? My DS is not saying much words, he know around 15-20 but uses very little.
    But he understands every thing and does what instructed. Our Pead has advised us to wait till 2 1/2, but i am getting worried. Some time I wonder, as mom i am worrying about every small thing.

10. momsky

momsky Gold IL'ite

@viki123 I understand how stressful this can be. My eldest too was so picky when he was around 2 yrs old, he even refused McDonald's.

French fries and fish fillet dipped in rice powder, then fried was the only thing he would eat. Coconut water, avocado or mango lassi, badam milk, toddler formula vanilla milk, pistachio kulfi worked too.

Egg sandwich and flan were the only way my son ate eggs during that time too. For breakfast, rice pudding or a very creamy oatmeal porridge.

My son gained weight with diet I used above. He was also the tallest in his class when he started kindergarten.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2016
    viki123 likes this.