1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Ideas for starting elementary writing.

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by babyraji, Aug 27, 2008.

1. babyraji

babyraji Silver IL'ite

Hi all,

my little daugher is now almost to 3 n i wish to start her with writing,as they will b starting it shortly in their school. experienced moms ,pls do share ur ideas n experiences of starting with elementary writing with ur kids .n the effective ways of implementing it.

in india they usually start with set of lines which they call standing line,sleeping line,falling line etc.so pls do share any of the websites which provide worksheets for such elementary writing.

any advice n suggestions in this matter is welcome.

thank u all in advance

bye
    raji

2. lathaa

lathaa Bronze IL'ite

Hi Raji,

Regarding the elementary writing,i guess its too early for her to practice writing,but you can make her do coloring and drawing as it makes her hold the crayon/pencil properly,which helps her in future for writing.Here in schools they strictly ask parents not to make kids practice at home as it might confuse them when they do it at school.But you can do lots of reading for her.

I am not sure about the websites for writing skills but here in india we do get books for practice of sleeping,standing,zig zig lines,curves etc etc,may be if someone can get them for you over there that would help her.

Regards,
    lathaa

3. babyraji

babyraji Silver IL'ite

hi lathaa,

thanks for peeping in n giving ur valuable suggestions.

here in her prenursery already they hav started colouring n drawing .n they will b starting the alphabets n numbers writing shortly.n the system here is tht they jump to teaching words n sentences directly in k1.so thought will start slowly abt her writing,as she 2 is showing interest.

s v hav been reading her most of the stories at bed time already.

s i think getting some help on this matter of info abt websites will ease lots of things for me as i can just directly take a print out n start with them.

will wait for the other exp moms to share their ideas.

bye,
    raji

Last edited: Aug 27, 2008
  4. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Dear Raji,

Personally, I feel this is the right age to introduce writing. :) Nowadays, they have preschool, elementary school & so on.

But when I was little, we joined L.K.G at the age of 3. Believe me, we have done quite good without any problems...right? So...no worries !

As for my children, since the 4 ruled note-books were not available here, I took print-outs/drew the lines on unruled note-books.

Initially, used to hold their hands, then gradually, made them write on the dotted letters. It was real fun and exciting to see them gradually improve their writing Raji ! It is such a beautiful experience !

The confidence and happiness on their face after they master one letter...:) You can do similarly for the numbers too !

Of course, you can continue with the colouring books with pencils, crayons for your daughter.

Cheers
    Krithika

5. babyraji

babyraji Silver IL'ite

HI Krithika,

gd to know frm ur exp.s ,even i do feel its gd for her to start introducing with writing.s i do remember v all at tht time started late compared to these kids, n did fairly well.

actually i felt tht whn she is also showing the interest in writing then i shld also encourage but keeping in mind with the low phase as she is too young.

even i did had tht beautiful experience couple of times whn she finished her colouring n was really beaming.:)

truly all these experiences r for the life time to cherish.(now my mother will b telling all abt how i was at this stage.)

thanks for ur suggestions Krithika,it surely helps.

bye
    raji

6. babyraji

babyraji Silver IL'ite

iam really surprised ,no of views here is around 50 n the replies r soo less:frown:

7. shvap_786

shvap_786 Gold IL'ite

dear raji..

sorry dear... i just saw the thread today....

here in dubai also they teach like... standing line sleeping line... etc..

but in scools striclty they tell not to teach the kids to write at home... coz they have their own patter of writing... even though its standing line or sleeping... they have to write from up-down... following an arrow...

for example when she went to nursery they taught her sleeping line standing line etc...... but it comes with an arrow so u need to follow the arrow direction... alphabets also they have their own patter of writing...

wht i did is i took a copy of it with me... so that i give her practise in the 4 line notebook...

so if possible try to know wht method they follow in the schools there once u know that u can give practice at home...

hope this helps u...

8. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

raji,

I had no problems with making my daughter write. when it came to my son, he had plenty of problems what with his confusion of right and left.

this is what i used to do. he used to like to colour.

so i used to try to incorporate the letters for colouring. A wide and long I with a icecream at the side used to tempt him to colour them. that way he used to learn to write each alphabet.I used to put arrows for the direction of the stroke, so it became interesting. you can make out the direction the child has used even in the colouring.

you start with the sleeping lines, then standing lines, then the alphabets that are easily formed with the sleeping and standing lines, before going to the half circle.

along with the writing of alphabet, if we teach them to pronounce it phonetically, it helps a lot when they have to make words and sentences.

hope this helps.....

9. kaumudi

kaumudi New IL'ite

Hi raji,

I'm Kaumudi. I can suggest a site that would be of help.

http://www.activityvillage.co.uk/handwriting_readiness.

this would definitely help in all that U want & more. There is so much more on this site for your kid that you could keep her busy in many ways. She would enjoy it too.

Bye
    Kaumudi

10. PoorniDaya

PoorniDaya Senior IL'ite

Hi Raji,

I havent really thought about teaching my kid to write. But at times when she sits with her sketches, I take a paper and write down her name or other things she knows in all colors. This I do by holding her hand very lightly.

I dont know if its correct...but I do it to her and she likes to see her name in 10 different colors. When she does it on her own...you know, its in her own strokes and says 'gaayu' with a BIG smile.

I think, if you sit with her and teach her you can work your own ways of doing together. It should be fun for the two of you.

Goodluck
    Poornima