1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Iam only a diabetic,my dear!Iam no sinner!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by mithila kannan, Jul 21, 2009.

1. mithila kannan

mithila kannan Gold IL'ite

Tomorrow is the wedding of our one of our close relative’s daughter.I have been getting ready to attend the wedding.There were these corals my husband brought from Rome many many years back,that were in the locker not looked at.Last week I took the corals to the family jeweller’s shop,got a nice necklace made with corals and pearls.My daughter had presented a beautiful Kanjeevaram for my birthday and I have saved it for this occasion.I even had a facial done today.Everything is ready,the maid is given chutti for tomorrow.But my heart is going ‘thud thud’ you know? “What?”I can hear you murmuring ,”You are not the bride,why should your heart go thud,thud ?”Well if you know what will be my plight tomorrow in the dining hall of the marriage mandapam, you will understand why.

Tomorrow, we will enter the wedding hall,meet most of our relatives, whom we meet only at weddings in common relatives families.We will admire the groom and the bride as is expected of us.We will wish them.Feel and savour the spell binding moment, when the thali is tied on the bride’s neck by the groom,the most precious moment in a girl’s and boy’s life.Bless them whole heartedly and we will go to the dining hall.We will go and take our seats in the dining hall.My husband would sit either next to me or just opposite me ,my youngest co sister ie my youngest brother in law’s wife would invariably sit next to me.My ordeal,my friends, would have begun.

The main items would be served.We would start eating.Then,there comes the server carrying a plateful of ‘jangiris’.Wow!jangiri is one of my favourite sweets,the beautifully crafted,honey coloured sweet dish dipped in sugar syrup.Even the thought makes my mouth water.Have you tasted jangiri,if not, you have really missed something wonderful in life,that’s all I can say!.Ok.The person serving Jangiris is just a few seats away from us,my husband suddenly becomes tense,,looks at me with a warning in his eyes,’Mythili,NO—NO” .His eyes are eloquent.My husband need not have worried,because my sister in law who is sitting next to me,suddenly lunges forward,wards off the man, her hands waving him off,telling him,”No,no,please don’t give manni,sweet,she does not take sweet”.The man looks at me nods his head with an assessive look and says”oh,mami is diabetic!”and without serving me he continues.My sister in law to my utter disgust is savouring the jangiri, bit by bit.My husband never eats sweets,so I take heart in the fact that what I miss, he is also missing.

The fitting finale to the sumptuous lunch arrives,the server carrying the item in a stainless steel bucket.You must have guessed,the Akkaravadisal,a special sweet item,a must in any function in an Iyengar family.It is suffice to say that I grew up with akkaravadisal when I was young.Rice is cooked in milk and ghee and jaggery is added and allowed to boil and transform into a sweet fit enough for Gods.Again the warning look from my husband and Selvi my sister in law getting into a warrior mood.I lean towards her and whisper in her ear,”Selvi,this sweet is made with jaggery and not sugar,so I can take it”

“No,”says Selvi softly but firmly.”Manni, you are a sugar patient,you have to be very careful.Besides jaggery is as bad as sugar,you know?”She nods her head as if she had just then got her Masters in diabetes treatment.I turn away my face.We return home, I in a sullen mood, my husband trying his level best to cheer me up with his stale jokes.
    This is what is going to happen tomorrow also.So, now you know,why my heart goes thud,thud?

I still remember the day it all started. I began to feel tired and weak all of a sudden.Our family doctor suggested that I get my blood test done for sugar ..The reports came and confirmed the doctors fear that I had sugar in my blood.ie I was diagnosed as diabetic.The sugar level was not very high,but the doctor said that I had to be careful.He prescribed medicines,gave me a long list of dos and donts.I was not gravely alarmed,but my huisband was.

“Mythili,take this seriously,diabetes is dangerous.One has to be careful.We should not suffer in old age,you know’I nodded my head, went to sleep, with not a care in the world.
    For the next ten days atleast, I got a call from my elder daughter ,exactly at 8 in the morning,’Mummy,did you take your sugar tablet,have you taken your breakfast?”.This would have continued,but I convinced my daughter that I would take care of myself without her reminders.
    My younger daughter rang up in the evenings and gave me uninterrupted great bashans on the seriousness of the malady called diabetes and how I should be a disciplined person.There is no way I can dissuade her from giving those friendly lectures,she does that very often.
    My tryst with Diabetes started like this.What I don’t understand is ,when I go to a doctor with severe cold,he asks for my latest blood test report-when I have a bout of cough the doctor asks for my sugar report-when I had severe backpain and, I went to the doctor,he promptly asked for my blood test report,and to top it all when I so much as sneeze a couple of times my husband feels that my sugar level must have gone up.:rotfl
    “Is there any aspect in my life that is not connected to the sugar level in my blood?”I asked my husband.
    Ofcourse,thereis”said my husband.
    What is it?”I eagerly asked.
    ‘Watching TV serials,”said my husband with a serious countenance,I felt like strangling him.
    So life goes on in this fashion.Diabetes has somehow added colour to my life,making my condition the subject matter of conversation on many a family gathering.

Now to come back to my important question,about the marriage that I have to attend tomorrow,should I or should I not attend the marriage?Tell me fast,please!

2. ranjoose

ranjoose Bronze IL'ite

Hi,
    A wonderful writeup. I can clearly picturize your husband saying NO and your sil sending away the jangiri man. The same way my mom and me act in marriages when my dad is eating!!!
    You must attend the marriage at least to flaunt the new saree and coral set. And a small tiny bite of the jangiri and just a little dip of your finger in the payasam and tasting it wont cause any harm ritght??

3. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

Dear Mythili

Good write up. I also like jangiri very much. Thank God I am not a diabetic and I can eat jangiri. So I willeat your share also. I love sweets. Every day I like to have a sweet after lunch, if not anything else I willhave a chocolate.

Tomorrow you definitely go for the marriage , what is there if you can eat sweet, you can enjoy the other things, where Kanjeevaram saree , coral necklace and other jewellery. I can imagine you in allthis and admire your beauty my dear twin sister.

love
    viji

4. SeethaHari

SeethaHari New IL'ite

Hello Mythili,

I liked the way you expressed your ideas and thoughts. Especiallly , the joke by your husband.
    No doubt, sometimes even serials can make our body react to the incidents on tv and make our sugar levels rise or drop :)
    Regarding the wedding,
    you must go -wearing your kanchi saree and coral set. For women in marriage functions, dressing is the talk of the day, than food.
    Just think you are in a sweet shop - when it comes to food at the marriage- only difference , you have not purchased it to savor it.
    This is situational control of mind.
    Because the pleasure of Jangiri is until we swallow it, but after effects will reel for a longer time.

Best of luck and enjoy the marriage function- of course-minus food.:)

Regards
    Seetha

5. mithila kannan

My dear Seetha,
    Thats a lovy fb.Oh yes,sometimes salivating over the sweets may shoot up your sugar level.
    So I will do my besyt.I try this method sometiesI keep telling others,that I just don't like sweets these days.Sometimes I refer to sugar as white poison,all the time longing for things made in white poison.
    Thanks
    love
    mithila kannan

6. mithila kannan

Viji,
    Iam happy that you can have sweets.But be very careful.Try and eat bery less sweeta,'saththan vedham oodhugirathu'.ok?
    love
    mithila

7. mithila kannan

My dear Rani,
    What is wondeful about preventing me from having a go at my favourites,my dear!
    I remember,when we were at Hyderabad,for 9 long years.during manngo season I used to have rasalu mango for bkfasr,lunch and inner.Now when I ask for a mango my dh draws a mango on a sheet of paper and gives is to me,
    Jokes apat my dear,one has to be caredul no?
    love
    mithila

8. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

MK,

I can understand the calls at 8.00 in the morning..because my kids start at the stairs at our door to the main gate, "Mom, don't forget your heart tablet.." the whole street knows that i have a heart condition..

But enjoy the wedding with all the aplomb..tell LNsir, that once in a while is not wrong..but MK, with the other complications any increase in sugar levels adds to that, and I am sure you know that..be careful.. Since these days many are diabetic, why don't they have a sweet for diabetics?? it is worth a thought..when they spend lakhs on the menu why not a special for the diabetic...??

9. AkilaMani

AkilaMani Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Mythili,
    A beautiful writeup.... I enjoyed every line!!!
    Of course, you should go to the wedding, and may be sample a tiny piece of sweet..... as my mother (who is a diabetic) would say, "how will you wish the couple well when you heart is aching for a sweet!!" she would sample only a tiny bit, and how I admire her self restraint.

10. Padmasrinivas

Padmasrinivas Silver IL'ite

Dear Mithila,

Your enjoyable write-up brings a similar situation to my mind... my husband who is also a diabetic brought on by stress. He has kept the sugar levels under control by following a diet and long walks. He says the there is a craving for sweets when one is denied such delicacies! Once in a while, he has a couple of spoons of payasam or a bit of some other special sweet...
    Occasionally, he has a diabetic chocolate, though I am not sure if the sweetener is good for health!

I guess one should not worry unduly, as Akila says "just taste a tiny bit"...

Waiting for more blogs from you,

Love,
    Padma