1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

[I]Maika[I] ..(Mother's house)

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Mindian, Feb 6, 2012.

1. nihasvin

nihasvin Platinum IL'ite

Yeah , Moms house is always apecial and i always end up in gaining weight more than which i have lost exclusively for that trip :rotfl

2. meenasankaran

meenasankaran Platinum IL'ite

Dear Mindi,

I know exactly what you mean. My parents had to move out of the home I grew up in recently and I too thought that I won't have the same attachment to their new home. After all, this new flat doesn't have those big Mango trees and coconut trees in the backyard that I helped my mom water when I was a little girl. It doesn't have the broad, concrete water sump in the back where my sisters and I sat and sang songs while helping cut vegetables for our mother as children. It sure doesn't have all the lovely memories of playing with my friends, fighting, crying and laughing with my sisters, doing simple, homely chores with my mom and watching cricket with my dad. Or that's what I thought when they moved. How wrong I was because my parents are there in this new place and that makes up for everything else. Just like you, I realized this during my last trip too.

Beautiful post Mindi. Thank you for giving me a chance to be nostalgic.

3. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

thanks Mira:)

lI never like to loose my originality so continuing that good work keeping myself and my mother engaged even over phone!

tell me about it :)

When I see my SIL coming twice a year to her 'maika' (our house) this 'Malaika' used to long for hers to happen atleast for once in a year or two.

LOL.actually visits to Maika happen more when you are not in the same city I guess..

..Its been now few years since I had been to my mother's place! Eagerly looking forward to one...

Good ,make a trip now and enjoy yourself.
    I can totally empathize with you as I miss my father A LOT too..especially in that house.

4. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

ha yaar Aruna.... even I HAD to grow up some day ???? LOL

Have a lovely trip to your maika and enjoy yourself..
    I still remember that yummy coffee of your mom:)

YESS I too love her coffee especially with TOI..uska mazha hi kuch air hai..:)

5. ALPA

ALPA Platinum IL'ite

My dearest Mindi,
    really loved your post, though not married whenever i travel my parents miss me a lot especially dad, mum too but she will not say it the ego problem you know:rotfl:rotfl, so when i call home my elder sis gives the phone to dad and dad will just say my name appuuu in a singing way and give the phone to my sis, they miss me a lot when i return back home, dad is the first one to greet me at the door and will tell my mum my daughter has come.
    Though my name is alpa dad calls me appu and we have our sitting places on the dinning table and i sit next to dad and no one not even my mum is allowed to sit next to dad.
    Though the favourite one is the elder sis the spoilt one is the younger and i am just the pampered one.
    love
    alpa:cheers

6. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

Thank you kamalji especially for the blessings..:)

it is really cute of you to enjoy spending time with your mom and allow herself to indulge you because I am sure she enjoys it more than you:)

7. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

It was your lovely post, that triggered me to go and listen that song.......:)...though it brought tears in my eyes....the combo effect of your lovely post and that sweet song was too good.....:thumbsup:-)

Aww Bharghs that was SO sweet..THANK YOU.:)..some songs do have that effect , I fully agree with you.

1 person likes this.
  8. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

What a beautiful write up....No place on earth like poranthahum(Maike)

Thanks JAG ... I fully second that :)

9. kelly1966

kelly1966 Platinum IL'ite

Hi Mindi
    I have always wondered about the tear jerking lyrics of main toh bhool chali babul ka desh piya ka ghar pyaara lageseems so unreal...
    maika.. is MAIKA and nothing can take away the pleasure of being in your parent's home only because you are THE most important person then.. ofcourse if grandkids are around your value is reduced to 1/4th but even then...
    I wait to go to Mumbai.. not only because of mom but also thats my city...friends/ family..familiar places.. old memories.. and believe me invariably after my mumbai trip I need a break to rest..
    Anyway, the ten days just flew and this trip was memorable for also one very good reason… mom and I never had an argument,not even once.
    Yippppeeee... I had grown up at last!!

I think i need to grow up alot we invariably land up bickering even on the phone every other day!!!... I wonder how my hubby hardly ever has this problem with his mom.. coming to think of it even my brother.. so do think we need to learn the art of talking to mom from men???
    anyways.. it was great reading.. and I also look forward to your maika visits as we atleast speak on phone if not meet..
    Kerman

10. RamyaSridhar1978

RamyaSridhar1978 Gold IL'ite

Hi mindi
    Very true... Mothers house is different. As long as you are a spinster you just take things for granted . The real test comes when you enter the new world with ur In laws etc..
    No one can understand this sentiment till they are married .the more far you are the more things seem dear.. Newts mankind has always known to value things after its gone or the phase is over.