1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

I m goin Onshore. Need Guidance

Discussion in 'Indians in Bay Area' started by shalsraaj, Dec 14, 2011.

1. shalsraaj

shalsraaj Bronze IL'ite

Hi ILs,

I am an IT professional and I am travelling onshore for an assignment to Pleasanton, California. I m goin on a H1B accompanying my spouse and kid in H4. My husband is looking after his own business here and ll take care of it from there.
    I have got a million questions now. It would be gr8 if someone can guide me thru the process.
    Here are some of them,
    1. Do we get fully furnished houses for rent there? will they be very expensive?

2. I m a Senior Software Engineer. What would be my minimum take home per month I ll get there? :bonkI knw it sounds stupid to ask this. I ll be knowin this frm my company only when I go for visa stamping. I still hav a week for that. Just tell me the approximate amt to get a vague picture.

3. We have got a new Royal Enfield bullet last month. Have plans of taking it there. Hw far is that possible and what is the best way for that?

4. Are pet animals allowed with us in flight? We have an Arowana fish which we badly wanna take with us. Is tat possible?

My kind apologies for posting many qs.
    Waiting for ur guidance.

:bowdown
    Thanks,
    Shalini

2. shalsraaj

shalsraaj Bronze IL'ite

Hi Ils,
    I m still looking for ur replies...

3. uma16

uma16 Senior IL'ite

hey shalini...
    i dont work -am on dependent l2 visa ,i dont think i can help u much anyways,answering only ur first

1) was in san jose ,CA a year back...pleasanton has a lot of good unfurnished apartments ,may be in range of $1000-1300. furnished apartments are rare may be if u look into craigslist u can get individual houses rented out by owners.that would be ur choice...we started from scratch and furnishing the aptmt was no big deal as we cud get cheap and good stuff from craigslist...for kitchen ikea suited me best.

4. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

Most apartments in the US and esp CA are unfurnished. They will come with a basic kitchen gadgets( fridge,cooking range,oven,dishwasher).You can try to get a furnished apt but they would be unnecessarily expensive. Its a lot cheaper to buy furniture.
    This is not normal. Are u saying that u accepted a job with a possible move out of ur country without even knowing salary? Check with ur HR ASAP. This is actually not legal. The company is expected to disclose the entire compensation (pay and also benefits) when they make an offer of employment. Something is fishy.
    About possible compensation..its very hard to say and varies greatly depending on ur specialization. IT is too general a term.
    My sincere suggestion..Dont bring it...atleast for now . Driving a bike in US is completely different from driving one in the US. Its riskier and u even need special license to be able to drive here. You will see what I mean when u get here. Also the costs of shipping and registering in CA will be significant.

Fish..check with ur airlines. Not sure about fish but I am pretty sure that bigger pets liks dogs and cats should come with a health certificate that says it was seen and/or treated by a vet, is free of parasites, is not aggressive, etc.Check with ur airlines

5. shalsraaj

shalsraaj Bronze IL'ite

Hi Uma and Justanothergirl. Thanks a lot for the replies...... :)

6. Subhaganesh

Subhaganesh Gold IL'ite

1. Do we get fully furnished houses for rent there? will they be very expensive?
    california its like india only everywhere u can see indians... i would suggest u to take unfurnished house and buy furniture because u will get it for cheap(if u r staying for long)..if it is short term go for furnished house

2. I m a Senior Software Engineer. What would be my minimum take home per month I ll get there? :bonkI knw it sounds stupid to ask this. I ll be knowin this frm my company only when I go for visa stamping. I still hav a week for that. Just tell me the approximate amt to get a vague picture.
    its really difficult to calculate i can tell u the approximate amt(3.5)

3. We have got a new Royal Enfield bullet last month. Have plans of taking it there. Hw far is that possible and what is the best way for that?
    its very difficult to get license for 2 wheeler..moreover u need to get insurance(extra expense) and u need to take car or bus transit for going shopping and other places...so its unnecessary

4. Are pet animals allowed with us in flight? We have an Arowana fish which we badly wanna take with us. Is tat possible?
    i can say its really more work for u, u need to take health insurance and lots for carrying pets..

7. shalsraaj

shalsraaj Bronze IL'ite

Thanks a lot Subha. Those were really helpful.

8. indianinbayarea

indianinbayarea New IL'ite

Hi Shalini

I hope you are finding pleasanton very pleasant :)

Were you able to get answers to all of your questions? Please feel free if you need help with something