1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

I Lost ...

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by ILoveTulips, Dec 9, 2011.

1. ILoveTulips

ILoveTulips IL Hall of Fame

I lost...

my laptop to those horrible viruses. It happened in October. That should explain why I wasn't around for a while in the snippets forum.

Of course I had Anti-Virus installed. It was there at the bottom corner of the monitor, beeping every now and then about the security threats it blocked. What Security Threats? I would wonder and check the Anti-Virus report. Like they show the illegal gun dealers in 8'O clock news sitting in 4 legs with arms crossed, near a table where their different varieties of guns and Gelatin sticks are lined up so neatly, with the Tamil Nadu policemen standing around fighting for a space in the video - this Anti Virus software would list the security threats so neatly, with different color for different severity [High/Medium/Low]. The file names listed there were never a meaningful name, which increased my respect towards this software . "I couldn't even read the name; but you are blocking them!!", :kiss I smiled proudly and stroked the monitor virtually patting its back 'Good Job Little Buddy' ...

I can't understand how my laptop was infected in the first place?:confused2: It's not like I was tempted by the advert "Congratulations! You are our 1,000,000,000 visitor to get the free laptop"; Or ever clicked the link in a spam email that said 'Ohhh, Look what have I done'; Or followed the million clicks to know the secret to get a sexy figure; [oooooohh, may be that's the secret, if I do million clicks I might get a sexy figure.. Hmm No, Correction: Sexy Finger!] Or replied to those "Mark Sutton"s or "John Wahlberg"s who claimed to be a millionaire and had this newly found affection on me that they want to transfer all their earthly possessions to my name. Nevertheless these spammers found a way to inject virus into my laptop, which does nothing but mind it's own business. Bullies, Big Bullies!!! :evil:

What did my Anti-Virus do? It kept barking at silly threats, but folded its arms respectfully when the major ones passed in. :welcome

I didn't know how long that virus stayed in my laptop, day after day eating one or other files, and killing the functionalities inside. But I did witness some weird behaviors. Sometimes, an alert box would pop up from nowhere saying "Your computer has some malicious files, Click OK to remove them". Aaww How Nice..? Somebody whom I never met before willing to help me, for free that is, all I have to do is to Click OK! I don't have to spend several pounds, I don't have to call customer service, I don't have to google for softwares, but just, just Click OK! :rant

That was the first thing to alert me that I am living with a virus, Life wasn't the same then onwards. Its very spooky to know that when I am browsing, the virus sits inside and observes me, directed by some outside force it might even record my activities. I avoided going to the bank & other personal sites, deactivated my facebook account, browsed IndusLadies without logging in - until one day this virus completely shut me off. My computer kept restarting and never let me in. :bangcomp:

I tried various solutions from internet, none of them worked. I can imagine my father saying disapprovingly "You went to College; Learnt this damn thing for 4 years! Still you don't know how to fix this?".

I seeked help from some computer service centre guys. They demanded £50 before even looking at the laptop, but after few hours they all had the same frown in the face and gave the same answer "You better buy a new one; this one is seriously infected". The laptop is just 2 years old and I hate to spend money like this.

No worries though. There are good shops in India, and those guys are amazing. They have softwares for everything, one look at my laptop, they will fix it. Whenever a new model mobile is released in the US, these Heroes get the tools to unlock, change the underlying software and what not. I am sure they can fix my laptop. They have to completely format the computer and install all the softwares (???Shhhh!!!) I need. But I can't bring it back here, but can give to someone in my family. So, this all brings to the fact that I have to be without a laptop for a while.

So what? I can share my DH's laptop for a while. (Scoff) You all know how would that go.

The man who vowed to share my happiness & sorrow, hold my hands in sickness & health till death do us part, wasn't even ready to share his laptop! I had to wait for him to leave the couch, or had to win the hair-pulling contest, or manage to keep him locked in the restroom... or sit next to him and keep moaning until he gave up - I am telling you, this one works! Always! :banana

Finally, to get me off his back, DH decided to buy me a new laptop. Who said only women spend lot of time shopping? DH spent 6 weeks in narrowing down the product, 2 weeks waiting for the offers, and now that we bought the laptop, he still monitors the product prices to make sure that ours is still a good deal.

From my side, I have opted for the Antivirus that has proved to be the best in the Industry, so it was advertised; bought all the upgrades, downgrades,sidegrades so that all the loop holes are shut tight! Yo Mean, Fat Virus!! Let's see how you are getting in this time!!! Harhar

22 people like this.

2. Coffeelover

Coffeelover Platinum IL'ite

ILT, so you got your new Lap top just like in every women do the world-crying!!!! Proud of you!!!!!!Let me give you one advice- don't go and look at movie stars gossips and pictures etc. Few years back, my cousin wanted to see wedding pictures of Manjula Vijayakumar's family wedding in her husband's laptop. The situation cmae to divorce court ( LOL). so much of fight because most of movie sites had virus. Be careful. I stopped looking at the pictures after my cousin experience.

Enjoy the new one!!!!

3 people like this.
  3. ILoveTulips

ILoveTulips IL Hall of Fame

Dear CL,

Thanks a lot for your super fast comment. I moaned alright, but at the end of the day that didn't win me the laptop, my husband's love towards his laptop did. :)

Yes CL, that might be the reason too- searching for movie pictures, and sometimes movies itself... :) I learned my lesson CL, though its hard way ( and costly way) I learned my lesson now... ! Will take extra care now onwards. Let's see which virus dare to touch my laptop now!

Thanks again for your comments and for the wishes.. :)

ILT

1 person likes this.
  4. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

Hit tulips,

Enjoyed your characteristical humour.:)

Well we are almost sailing in the same boat. I lost my Pc my BEST friend some weeks back and have been silently mourning ever since.

Though family got me the galaxy tab immediately as a birthday present It takes time to get used to a new appliance, isn't it and sometimes typing here makes me go grrrrr.

My PC conked off for no apparent reason and I prayed that nothing should have gone wrong with the hard disk since it had my most prized posessions, my music and our photographs of the last ten years..luckily I got them all back:)

Waiting for the right time to get myself a new laptop. Like you say I feel guilty spending again but this really tests ones patience.

1 person likes this.
  5. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Hi ILT,

Can understand your situation, having lost my notebook a few months ago to a similar virus. My new laptop has a "very efficient" virus check installed which does not allow anything come through. Not even stuff I want, like some programmes. :-( Hrrrmmmph!!!!!

So now you know an efficient technique to get a laptop. When virus attacks your lappie, attack hubby dear's lappie yourself. :rotfl Good for you girl. :thumbsup And I thought only my BH spends ages in deciding when it comes to buying anything. Haha.

Wishing you luck with the new one. Best wishes for a long, happy and peaceful co-existence. :-D

1 person likes this.
  6. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Tulips,

losing a lap top like this , and that too two yuears old is like losing yr new born loved baby eh ! i have a lop too too, and just a few months old, but u nevrer know. Superb write, fun blog even though it was pain for u.

No wonder i was wondering how come i have fewer FBs on my blogs now i know tulip was missing from action.

Welcome back, and let me bless , not just u, but ur laptop. HAHA

Regards

kamal

1 person likes this.
  7. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear ILT
    Firstly nice to see you back in snippet. Just yesterday I read Kamla our Super moderator's friend had an heart attack and LOL here I am reading your friend had a viral fits, which is never to be cured?? and had her end. Really sad to hear.....haha

Enjoyed reading about your laptop real humourous one. I know how it is to go and sit with the DH and they are least bothered to spare theirs, where we need to spare all ours to them :)
    Good you got the new one and have given all the possible vaccinations never to let you down again.

1 person likes this.
  8. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear ILT,
    One's loss or pain is another's gain! Your loss is our gain! We got the chance to read a humorous write up! Enjoyed reading your write up.
    love,
    PS

4 people like this.
  9. mansimahi

mansimahi Gold IL'ite

haahaha...!!! Oh...the battles we have with our computers!!!

My aged and much loved desktop died 2 years back... I still have it as i dont have the heart to bury it yet ..i keep hoping for a miraculous resurrection !! The oh so mean virus took over the desktop while my little one was innocently clicking rabidly on everything that looked like a game....my little one couldnt read then but only wanted to play her games and that brought the unwelcome virus in....the expensive antivirus software was caught napping during duty hours ..grrr.

Then my Dh bought ME a lappy...it was supposedly MY gift...but I can use it only when the children graciously allow me to use it after i keep looking at the screen over their shoulder with my hangdog expression... My Dh guards his laptop better than the antivirus software and firewalls us everytime we even think of touching it.

Good luck with your new one.... heres wishing you both a long,happy and successful association :)

2 people like this.
  10. vdeepab4u

vdeepab4u Gold IL'ite

Very humorous ILT!! Nicely written.. atlast got your new laptop.. congrats..

1 person likes this.