1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

I got driving license (finally)

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by deraj, Nov 3, 2009.

1. deraj

deraj Platinum IL'ite

I am driving my 2 wheeler for the last 4 years (of course without license). My hubby got a car last year and before the car delivered to us, he learnt car driving and got the license also.

He was telling me to go for driving class to get license (for both 2 & 4 wheelers) so that it will be very helpful in case of emergency. I enquired couple of driving schools in our area and found one suitable school and started driving on an auspicious day morning 6.00 – 7.00. After that come back and make my kids ready for school and I have to get ready for my office, cooking in between with the help of MIL.

Successfully finished my 24 classes and was about to go for test. Alternate Saturdays we work and since I was running short of leave in my office, I thought of going on a second Saturday. I was looking at the daily sheet calendar on that day & it was predicted “FAILURE” for my zodiac!! Alas, why should I go that day and fail?? I told some reason to my driving master and avoided.

The next Saturday, my boss planned for his leave and going out of station with his family and I have a gut feeling that he will not disturb me by calling every now & then and that I can call him up & tell him that I am also leave on that day.

That Saturday I woke up little late and did household work slowly and started to go to the RTO office by 10.00 am. Called my boss like a good subordinate and below is out conversation”

Me : Boss, I am going to take my 4 wheeler license and request leave today
    Boss : I heard the sigh of my boss & he said what!!! I am not there & how can you take leave? Please go to office. MD may ask for some queries. Since I am not there, definitely he will check our department :rant
    Me : OK boss. Let me go to office.

With great disappointment, I gave a silly reason to my driving school and reached office. My MD never asked any query on that day.

Finally again on a Saturday (office closed) went to the RTO office and was eagerly waiting for the test. Many people were there to driver 2-wheeler as well as 4-wheeler. One person was explaining all of us how to put “8” in 2-wheeler. It was really funny to see some people practicing. :biglaugh

There were retired people also waiting to “pass out” the test. As you may be aware there are many conditions to put “8” to get license. I was the only person from my driving school to get 4-wheeler license on that day. Someone called out my name……… Oh!!! its my turn!!!! I had my TVS Scooty. With little difficulty without keeping my legs in ground I put “8” and passed the 2 wheeler. Its is the condition that if I pass in 4-wheeler test only, they will give me 2-wheeler license.:crazy

Now its 4-wheeler license. Unfortunately, since I was the only one person who has to get the 4-wheeler license from my driving school, our trainer has not brought the car which I was practicing all along. He said all cars are same and you can drive anything and pass out. I was tensed. Including me there were 2 ladies to get 4 wheeler license.

The car came, the Inspector was there. The other lady was there in the driving seat. I was asked to sit at the back. She drove the car very nicely & got PASS mark. Its my turn now. No escape.:hide: I sat in the driver seat and adjusted it. Put the key, started the car and I was taught to give mild accelerator and take my leg from clutch slowly, which I did. But………but………..the car went off.

I was asked to start again which I did and accelerated heavily and the Inspector was staring at me like ???!!! Finally I drove hardly for a minute and the inspector asked (requested!!) me to stop the car. It was shame on me. I was not able to stare at the other lady who was sitting at the back seat.

While going away, the inspector was telling me “Neengallam license vaangi poojai dhan pannanum” (you get the license and just do pooja). I was not at all sure whether I had cleared the test or not.

I went back and asked my instructor about the result. You know what is that??? PASS!!! PASS!!!

Finally I got the 4-wheeler license, as the Inspector rightly said, I am doing nothing with the License, even Pooja!!!

2. kpavi

kpavi New IL'ite

After my college studies, I was at home for a month before joining my job.. Got LLR and went for driving for 2 weeks.. before getting license, I was called for the job and went to Chennai...I came back after 3 months and decided to get license that day.. but with no practise at all.. was worried a lot..
    my instructor was very confident and he was joking, "Ur dad got the license, then y can't u??"..
    I was asked to start the car, inspector on my side.. Started well.. he asked me to stop on a slope, then start again..:-( gone.. I was not able to do anything for a min and then started with a big jerk.. He just saw my face and smiled(sarcastically)
    Later, when getting down from the car, he told " Dont drive the same way in Chennai too.. Learn well and drive".. I understood "I GOT IT"..

3. ayyan

ayyan New IL'ite

Dear Deraj,
    That was a hilarious one from you, amused reading, keep it up.
    You reminded me the same troubles I went through for getting a license. But you know, after driving more than six years in India, how much I struggled to pass that test in gulf. I was able to drive 8, H or any letter in alphabet, but when I reach to driving seat with that arabi policeman, some unknown nervous catches all over the body and then so many mistakes as you said.
    But finally I got it after many fails...
    Ayyan

4. sigmabeta

sigmabeta Bronze IL'ite

Dear Deraj, I enjoyed reading the blog! It was really funny.. I remembered the day when I went for my two wheeler test. They almost dint allow me to take the test saying I'm underage and I look like a kid etc. I was 16 then. But I was the only one in that whole batch among men and women to clear the 8 and show all the hand signals, clear the written test etc.

5. knot2share

knot2share Gold IL'ite

Dear Deraj.......You have company! I have my licence but it just sits in my purse.

6. amihere

amihere Platinum IL'ite

Hi dear, nice post, I am also in the same boat. Got 4 wheeler license 6years back but till date didn’t have a chance to drive one properly J

7. Saraswathipv

Saraswathipv IL Hall of Fame

Hi deepa...That was funny.

8. deraj

deraj Platinum IL'ite

Thank you one and all for the feedback.

9. PreethiArun66

PreethiArun66 Senior IL'ite

Hi deraj,
    After reading ur blog I checked out your place of stay. Chennai. Hmm.. Its very easy to get license in India.

You know what. I have my four wheeler license here and I cleared it in my 4th attempt. Hey its actually very early to get it in 4th attempt.

I would advice you to drive regularly. Because after few years the fear will never go off. Initially it will be tough. But dont lose touch.

Happy Driving !!!

10. Ammukutty

Ammukutty Bronze IL'ite

Deraj enjoyed the blog.That was a hilarious account of your test.Enjoy driving...Good luck!