1. Interested in Natural Skin Care Solutions?: Check Here
    Dismiss Notice

I can't see her hair getting worse ...Plz advice for 6 yr old DD.

Discussion in 'Hair Care & Hair Styles' started by Happy2be, Sep 20, 2012.

1. Happy2be

Happy2be Gold IL'ite

I had okay hair but they deteriorated like anything during hostel days. DD since birth is quite hairy all over and had lovely hair on scalp too. SHe is turning 6 now and since last few months, her long hair..that were upto her waist and shiny and soft have become brittle, dry, break here and there and have become so lighter.
    I have always tried my bet to take good care by regular oiling, thrice a week, washing twice a week. She doesn't let me apply curd or anything anymore since she has grown into her own senses :-(

I had been using Segals shampoo since say an year but now I feel its time to take a break. Johnsons doesn't help for her as its too mild to take off the dirt and oil. I need to also condition her hair for which I have been using sunsil pink conditioner, suits her. Dove doesn't suit her.

I am going nuts since last 2 days trying to hunt and make up my mind about what shampoo to choose next for her. Her hair color too is turning a bit towards browner. ALready it was brownish black as mine. Please suggest and share your experiences about suitable shampoos for such hair type and age.
    All shampoos have SLES except Segals but I think using the same shampoo for long too might be one of the reasons.

Plz advice.

2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

happy2bem

check out if she has dandruff or lice..these two can cause damage. and also see to it she eats healthy..lots of greens and fruits.

my daughter used to have beautiful hair, even many ilites loved her long, thick below the knee hair..right now going through school forced stress and hormonal imbalance, she has been losing the thickness steadily and also the change in water.. is to be blamed..:rant

but what worked for us. oiling with castor+almond+olive oil nicely warmed up and massaged with my finger tips every weekend and left to soak for 3 /4 hours.. (depends if your daughter tends to get cold reduce the number)

cleaning it off with the juice of hibiscus leaves + reetha powder..(you get reetha in stores) remove the pit off the reetha. you can run it in the mixie at home..or just soak it in hot water overnight..in the morning crush and strain the reetha mixture.. and in another bowl crush soaked hibiscus leaves (just for an hour)

use these both. reetha mix acts as the best shampoo and the mildest (but hurts if it runs into the eyes) on hair..removes the grime..hibiscus softens..

this is what we did for almost 10 years.. now she does not have time for all this.. so she uses nyle/dabur shampoo.

2 people like this.
  3. Happy2be

Happy2be Gold IL'ite

thanks for replying Shanvy. and where can I find hibiscus leaves? DOes this smell bad..DD is too fussy about smell and so she doesn't just let me apply curd to her hair. No, she has no dandruff no lice, I'm sure about that. I shall surely try this but still I would like to have suggestions for shampoos too, just in case I am unable to do the above for some reason ;-(

4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

leave the hibiscus. but yes the natural reetha has a different smell. how about rinsing her hair with a dash of lemon.. that should take care. and tell her that it helps her get real long and healthy hair..

i did not talk about the homemade oil or the other homemade shikakai powder because she is a kiddo, and and it smells a little.

but my daughter had such lovely thick hair..even now she does have long hair..only the thickness is no more..

5. bhucat

bhucat Platinum IL'ite

Dear Shanvy, Reetha means "boondhi kottai" know? shall we get in the stores? nice info. Thanks
    Only Reetha and hibiscus is enough to wash the hair, no sheekakai is needed?

6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

bhucat, yes boondhi kottai. it is more than enough. hibiscus leaves and flower make conditioners..

7. cissyboo

cissyboo Silver IL'ite

Happy2be-has anything in her diet changed? Like is she not eating the same foods as she did before, or eating things she used to not want to eat? Brittle and dull hair can be caused by nutrient/vitamin deficiency, not just by a particular shampoo or conditioner. You may want to take her to the paediatrician to see if there is some medical cause for her hair problems.
    My DD had similar problem, only she had fine hair to start with as a baby, but went to the doctor and asked why her hair was getting worse when she was about four. Dr. asked what she ate-fruits and veggies, rice, bread, oats, sometimes a little chicken. She was deficient in several B-vitamins and iron, since she didn't like the taste of those foods, which can cause brittle hairs and dull hairs. She now eats a more balanced diet- her hair is thick and shiney red-brown (takes after her dad's family, my family is all dark hair and eyes).

8. luvli

luvli Silver IL'ite

Shanvy, from what age can we start reetha ??

9. Happy2be

Happy2be Gold IL'ite

Thanks cissyboo... I won't really say her diet has gone different but yes she is not a very good eater. I always feel she eats much lesser than a child of her age should. Milk doesn't really suit her..Her stomach bloats and I keep changing her milk every 2 months or so else she would leave milk for its taste. I had a visit to the paediatrician as well as a good salon. Following changes have been done over last week-

- changed shampoo. witched to Jovees conditioning shampoo. First wash was quite good. Very less hair fall.
    - started multivitamins+antioxidant syrup
    - started iron but will have to stop.. SHe's getting into constipation and bloating has become worst :-(
    - I try my best to give her a balanced diet..try to make food appealing, tastier different each time..hmmphh...but still she will have to take routine veggies and dals..and she is too fussy at that.
    - started gudpara for iron...but can't give much during summers and this season
    - washed her hair this weekend with boiled and overnight soaked mixture of amla, reetha and shikakai.

I even feel stressed about her calcium needs since she doesn't really like milk...may be because it causes her discomfort. I tried soya milk but she had that too just for a week or so...hmmphh...

10. suasin

suasin Gold IL'ite

If u want to try out a diff shampoo, i suggest sebamed children shampoo. It also helps if u wash hair in lukewarm water. I love sebamed cos it doesn't dry the hair. Also its ph neutral.