1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

I behind the curtain!

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Ibehindcurtain, Jan 28, 2012.

1. flowerlady

flowerlady IL Hall of Fame

Dear IBC,
    Its time to read some more self help books to gain confidence like You can Win by Shiv Khera. Maybe you totally changed yourself to please your DH and now he takes you foregranted. He has no fear of losing you since you are so dedicated to him.
    1 Stop asking him for love and respect, he will never give if you beg/ask
    2 You have to earn self respect by coming out of your DHs shadow, good you joined a grad course.
    3 Make your own social circle
    4 Do your duties means taking care of your kids, social life
    5 Continue with separate bedrooms, tell DH that abusive language will not be tolerated.
    6 Stay in your home , why should you start again afresh , do it from your home.
    7 Bring about positive changes in yourself, your DH come out of his complacency
    8 Do things which please you for a change. Sometimes we immerse ourself totally and forget ourself .
    9 Also stop comparing yourself , your looks with your Co sis, SILs and others. This makes you appear as if you have to prove that you are better. Nobody really cares about others except people who lack self confidence.
    Sorry for the long post.
    Someone close to me was like you , she did the above and now her DH longs for her like she did for him years ago.

3 people like this.
  2. Ganaraya

Ganaraya Bronze IL'ite

your kids are used to life in Australia, so i can understand that a move elsewhere could be disruptive. at the same time exposing children to the verbal and physical abuse of their mother is also bound a take a toll on their developing psyche. what kind of father is he? is he good to them, available for them? if you were to separate would he fight dirty to keep them?

17 years is a long time and you have been trying for all these years. however, some posters have given other suggestions to bring about a positive change in your married life.

whatever you do, keep the goal of self-respect and financial independence as your first and foremost priority. this will be helpful if and when you make that inward shift to move yourself and your children forward to a better life.

don't let your self-esteem and happiness rest in the hands of these fickle people who are supposed to be your family. a true family does not treat you like that. you sound like a very nice person who is trying to do the best for her children. years of abuse have taken your sense of self-worth and peace away from you. spirituality, counseling, new hobbies, exercise, volunteering, reading self-help/inspiring books, these are some of the ways that can help to regain your sense of self. all these years you put effort for people who did not really care. now, put in that effort for yourself and your children.

don't hesitate to post here whenever you need support or just a listening ear.

i wish you all the happiness and peace. you deserve it.

1 person likes this.
  3. Ibehindcurtain

Ibehindcurtain Senior IL'ite

I am feeling good on reading this post and I would like to keep reading again and again. I would certainly start reading Shiv Khera's book which is lying unattended in the home. Although I consider each being unique and find some thing or other very precious in the being, I took 'comparing' as the barometer that I am not expecting something that is not normal.

Thank you for the helpful post. Today I see the angels in the Indus Ladies and feel to believe that yes, they do exist. Thank you so much.

4. Ibehindcurtain

Thank you Ganariya. I would certainly keep your tips in mind and would keep involved in all those tasks. I would certainly keep updating whats happening and to know from you all if I am not doing any wrong thing. Yes, I feel very bad about me as I feel that I have limited tolerance though waiting for 17 years. I feel as if I have lack of 'acceptance' and 'unconditional love' qualities which is believed as an ornaments to woman. Subconsciously, I feel guilty and feeling that I am doing some unethical thing as he says that "You dont deserve this luxury and you wont ever get satisfied with anything". I would certainly go to counselling to know if there is anything wrong in me that I should promptly improve for my family. Once I am happy about me, I would make sure that I am not demanding something more in this relationship.

But certainly, with counselling, I would also focus on all good things that Flower Lady and you have suggested. Thank you.

5. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

IBC,
    Seems like it started with the premise behind ur accepting your husband's proposal-marriage is not based on helping someone...or because you think a person with disabilities needs someone 'kind and self effacing.'

Not to say it justifies his behavior or that it solves your current problem, do you think there is some resentment on his part? The fact that he comments on how his siblings (more successful in certain aspects and with no physical disabilities) treat their wives seems to bring out how he chooses to be different! A sort of "I may be this but look at what I can do to you?"

Don't compare yourself to others and don't compare his physical attributes with those of his siblings.

1 person likes this.
  6. Ibehindcurtain

Dear teacher,

Do you know, I started comparing very late, maybe, recently. But do you know, he has been always humiliating me for my father having less wealth than his father. If you understand Hindi, he used to ask me my "aukat" whenever he used to anger. However, he has not used this word for last 2 years. Comparisons were started by his mother and then him first. I had been just defending. It is not good, I understand now, that once he has started improving his behavior, I have started comparing and expecting.

Further, when I share about his physical limitations, I have never complained for that part. But as few years ahead, I had met my client, who was very proud despite she had married to the handicap, I found from her that she is very proud because his family respects her a lot for accepting their handicap son despite being perfect. On the other hand, right from the first year of the marriage, I have been degraded and humiliated by every body in his family.

He used to beat me earlier in the way that I would find the bruises for 13 years or so on my body! He walks limping but he still has great physical power and he looks very tall and heavy in appearance. He had not mentioned to say "tu' instead of "aap" if he is angry. He has not missed saying the rudest word to my father for defending me once upon a time. He is the one who had shouted all the list of rude vocabulary in front of the society to my father (he was drunk by then). It happened in India. But thenafter, he said to me, that as this incident happened 7 years ago, we should forget and start life afresh.

If I were not born to my parents, he would have been able to maintain his dignity. My father who is always proudful for everything he does and who can never accept wrong things, did not speak anything to my husband at that night, he said to the society boys (it was 12 o'clock midnight and the society big boys wanted to beat my husband speaking such rude language in front of the families having daughters, small kids, etc.) that "he is my son-in-law, please forgive him". My father told my husband that "My son, you have forgotten what the cultured family you are coming from. Please for the sake of the esteem of your family, go back to your home".

7. Ibehindcurtain

Despite being from the wealthy family, nobody supported financially to us when my husband business was unsuccessful. The business that I had started was obstructed a lot by my husband. I still continued. "Let me see how people are coming here to study" were his words. I started teaching in the school nearby with the permission of the generous principal.

The same business of mine fed us for 2 years and 9 months when we were in India. His father would not take the money out despite he had great wealth. I was running the home had been the secret and is still secret which is known by only him and his parents. I did not want to spoil his image that he is not earning. At one stage, I also shared this with my parents and brothers requesting them not to tell anybody as it may spoil family's image.

But even all these things are not valued while he compares me or speaks bad about me.

8. Ibehindcurtain

Sorry, I should now concentrate on what I want to do in future and try to shun away my past. It is only painful and not helpful.

May God give me strength in fulfilling all my goals.

9. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

IBC my first thought when I read your reply was "good, she is not afraid to disagree...then I saw you liked my post! You should feel free to disagree without any concerns about whether I will get offended or not...because you are going to fight a much bigger battle closer to home...(if I misread your reason for the 'like', do overlook it).

You are aware that you have a lot of strengths...so now be truthful to your needs and wants. You do not have to satisfy anyone else's standards for conformity. Your children will learn the same from you.

1 person likes this.
  10. Ibehindcurtain

Dear Teacher,

I heartily appreciate the time that you have put on to write your views. It always help when one has friends having different views. If I disagree sometimes, it is just for the cause that I have experienced the situations more closely and I may have reasons to believe something. However, it does not mean that I may be right everytime. Please feel free, to point out where I make mistakes. If I am not wrong, children are much affected with mother's mistakes than father's mistakes. So I would like to stop making mistakes if I do any. As soon as I read the first post of a friend suggesting that it is not wise to 'compare', the first step I did is to go to him and say 'sorry' for comparing him. I said to him that it was not to hurt him from any angle but only to specify my needs. But I also reminded that I have started doing this recently and you have been doing this for 15 years out of 17 years of marriage life. I had told him that I am really unhappy because I am not finding my needs being fulfilled.

He said to me, "I know what you can do. You may commit suicide or leave the home or go for divorce. You are not capable to do any thing else ". He said to me, "You cant choose any other option but remember, nothing should happen to my kids".

I am so stupid that I feel like to believe that he is speaking all these in anger and may change his words after few days.

I still want to do everything very slowly so that I would not regret of doing something very quickly.