1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

I Am Thankful For....

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Srama, Nov 23, 2018.

1. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Thankfulness is in the air! I know, I know!! Why just this one day? Even if you are a person who lives in gratitude day in and day out, you have to agree that there is something in the air, a kind of joy that only this time of the year can bring. I don't know about you, but just a couple of days ago, I received a fabulous haircut (that I had decided to get on an impulse) for no price at all - all thanks to that hairdresser who just wanted me to feel good!

We are home cozy, fireplace lit, watching the thanksgiving day parade on TV. The day outside is deceptively sunny. We know that, for we have just come home from a run as a family! Woke up at 7, went for that turkey run thinking it was at 8.30 only to realize it was at 8 and that we were already two minutes late, yet to pick our packets! Oh well! We did it anyways and here we are. As I prepare breakfast for all of us after, I hear my puppy come running into the kitchen with his jingle bells going like a sleigh ride! It was DDs idea that we put this jingle bells around him and oh what fun it is! We now make him run from one end of the house to the other with treats in our hands just to hear those jingle bells! As we sit around eating our very Indian breakfast on this very American holiday, I am all smiles for the day after all has started off on a joyful note.

I am thankful for a friend who had suggested that I need not re pot my orchids so many years ago! I still enjoy the flowers from the same plants through out the year, from one plant or the other!

IMG_20181121_212714 (1).jpg

I am thankful for the paper white flowers that another friend gave me recently. What fun it is to watch them turn toward the light from the sun during the day, towards the kitchen light at dusk!

IMG_20181121_212708.jpg

I am thankful for the remaining few roses on my plants outside floating in now, making me smile as soon as I enter my house!

IMG_20181111_213016.jpg

I am thankful for the bouquet of flowers that sit on my kitchen counter for over two weeks now, surprising me and give me the joy only fresh flowers can!
    IMG_20181122_120751-EFFECTS.jpg

Finally I am thankful for the all 'small' size shirts (what was left over as we were late!) that we got to bring home after our turkey day run, giving me hope that perhaps one day I shall fit into that size :), feeling grateful for that Sun shining through our kitchen window trying to warm up our very cold day!

PS: As I went through my day cleaning with everyone home, I realized that I have all these little things of beauty sitting around that I take for granted usually - they bring a smile on my face, even though they are arranged by me and no, I am not forgetting all the fabulous and even the not so fabulous people around me that help me live life to the fullest upload_2018-11-22_14-7-9.png

goldenhoney87, Laks09, jskls and 17 others like this.

2. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Happy Thanksgiving! Like you I started my day with a run. After a night of rain the air was fresh and invigorating. Perhaps 'tis the season but with every step I felt awash with gratitude simply for being able to breathe, to run, and feel the warm sun above and the wet earth below. I have to thank you and @iyerviji viji aunty for reiterating and reinforcing this simple but profound message through your snippets -- happiness is the state of being appreciative and grateful for what one has, without a craving to be more or have more. Unless we develop an attitude of gratitude, happiness remains an elusive fantasy. I practice gratitude daily, but Thanksgiving day does feel special, mostly because of the cheer it injects into the air! People just seem happier and more content today.

I find it galling that such a beautiful sentiment has been turned into a pretext for the unabashed worship of consumerism. Thankfully I have never been too keen to mark black Fridays and cyber Mondays and this year is no different. 2018 has been a no-buy year for me and I plan to continue it through 2019. I have indulged in vacations and a few hard-earned rewards for meeting personal and professional milestones but I have refrained from appeasing my wants. I still enjoy my jaunts at the mall, but the joy of possessing the next shiny thing has been replaced by the contentment of not desiring. These days I enjoy looking at the sea of mass produced baubles all around me and realizing how perfectly happy I am without them. : )

Thyagarajan, Laks09, jskls and 7 others like this.
  3. sweetsmiley

sweetsmiley Platinum IL'ite

Love to read ur snippets. Such a feel goodreading :) :)
    Life looks beautiful.. stay happy and write more :)

Thyagarajan, mangaii and Srama like this.
  4. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Sabita,
    Happy Thanksgiving?
    Festive atmosphere.
    Always count your blessings. Thankful to life and gratitude to all who shed us and to all those people, nature and little little things which make us happy.
    May your life always be full of happiness.
    Syamala

Thyagarajan and Srama like this.
  5. girvani

girvani Platinum IL'ite

Dearest Srama,

Happy Thanksgiving. I read your post last night and fall asleep with a heart full of gratitude. Your Orchid made me share this. I love orchids and I maintain them like my babies. The other day, I saw a branch full of buds lying on the window sill. I was trying to attach that to the main plant (to avoid touching the window) and in the process, I broke it. I was so sad. I removed the buds and kept it in a water bowl. After two days I saw them bloomed. The happiness I felt has no bounds. I was thankful.

I am learning to be thankful from littlest things and it is giving me the immense peace. Thank you for the beautiful post and for making me feel thankful.

Love,
    Vani

Thyagarajan, Srama and Anusha2917 like this.
  6. Anusha2917

Anusha2917 IL Hall of Fame

It's very nice to read a positive and beautiful note. There's no Thanksgiving here but hey it doesn't harm to celebrate one. I don't know how it's celebrated there and all those stuff ,all I learnt is it's time to be grateful and appreciate the smallest of the smallest things. Happy Thanksgiving !

Thyagarajan, Srama and girvani like this.
  7. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear @Gauri03 ,

Thank you for your lovely feedback. The thing is come holidays, I set out cleaning and de-cluttering and come what may I am not able to part with a few things like all these plants. I do have a couple of locations in the house where I have created small oases (at least that is how it feels to me) and the moment I empty those spots, I miss the contents there. Then I think and realize the joy they bring to me. Most of my plants are rescue (if I can say so) or given by friends/students. No material possession gives me the joy these can give me.

You know talking of shopping, I have begun to put aside what I feel and have learnt to watch people when I shop. I was awestruck one time in India at the joy and glow a woman had buying a lovely gold necklace. The look of pure joy on her face is an imprint on my mind - I had stepped into the shop to buy a couple of nose studs to use as ear rings for my DD and as I waited had an opportunity to watch people. That woman taught me what a look of joy really looks like and I was happy to have a glimpse of that. I was actually truly happy for her - she seemed so childlike! Not a shopper here, forget black friday or deals. If I want to spend time shopping, I choose Ikea - the simple joy of watching all these people - discussing their rooms/dorms with their better halves, children, the furniture choices - if they could fit or not, the matching of colors and patterns, standing with hands on their chins thinking deeply if something would fit in their house, using the measuring tape, making notes is very thrilling for me to observe. And the irony of it all; the small ikea homes and efficient way of using space vs the big size homes we are used to here. I simply love it!

I am glad you started your day with a run. With your very very lovely description I can clearly see that you have enjoyed your morning. I hear you - that feeling of being alive with every step! Priceless! Enjoy your weekend!

Thyagarajan, Laks09 and Gauri03 like this.
  8. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear @sweetsmiley,

Thank you for such a sweet message!
    It indeed brought a smile on my face. Thank you for the encouragement.

sweetsmiley likes this.
  9. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Exquisite! The narration, the pictures et al
    Wait. There is a knock at my door.
    I open the door and see my flower vendor thrusting in my hand a small, crumbled polythene bag containg two day old flowers.
    I realise that life is not a bed of fresh roses!

10. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Syamala, @shyamala1234 ,

Thank you, thank you for your lovely blessings!
    Thanksgiving is a lovely time here. I love hearing stories about families spending time together and usually it is all happy stories. There is some kind of joy in the air and it is infectious. We do get together with some friends for dinner and has become a tradition now. When we came to US so long ago, I used to get worried about these holidays, every thing closed and what to do was the question. Now! boy like @Gauri03 says, everything is about shopping. I am not complaining - all of it looks lovely to watch! Yet, the things that give me joy are those little things!

Thank you as always for your feedback. You made me happy!

Thyagarajan likes this.