1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

I am sooo very angry

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by swt.charu, Feb 22, 2016.

1. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@swt.charu

Remember i suggested you to go for a evaluation if your son's school has a counsellor or a help desk for differently abled. now now, don't push the panic button.. i was just trying to think back, and i remembered this thread too..

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/s...918-comprehension-problems-my-son-aged-2.html

Though there is a syndrome called lazy kid syndrome i don't think that would apply to your kiddo..going by my feeling, i would have him evaluated for executive functions..since he is going to hit puberty this is the time you need to check if your kiddo needs help. let me tell you, there is nothing wrong in seeking help, your boy will appreciate it later..

few months back, a few of our friends were discussing the executive function disorder and how it is sometimes mis interpreted as adhd..i am not an expert but some of the things you talk make me think on those lines too.

since i do not have the time to discuss in detail what i mean by executive functions i am just giving you a link for a little clarity..

Difference Between ADHD and Executive Function Disorder

another angle in the next post.. do not want to confuse both.

1 person likes this.
  2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@swt.charu i still stand by what i mean your son being a little confused and his laid back lazy attitude reflects his needing that power of control over the four of you.

it is not that he cannot do, it is more about he does not want to do. For ex. not talking about homework through out the whole week, not doing anything about it.
    do you think, he is stringing you, knowing that it would frustate you and make you lose control..,

do you appreciate and motivate him more to do the things he is really motivated. now that he has moved forward with maths how about both of you trying to do some maths puzzle together or as a family. doing word puzzles as a part of everyday activities..

when my kids were small, i was smothered with responsibilities and chores that to get some time to do lessons or anything was hard. we used to have fun while i cut vegges, chopped greens or washed dishes. they got involved and also felt that their mom was attentive. we had loads of fun. talking about school, stories, feelings and more.

and nighttimes were about reading a book together or discussing something that they need to talk about..in a friendly way. nothing to do with studies, school. something fun..no asking about homework, marks or anything..just being him and you.

you know there are few kids who are motivated to do nothing. in that kind of situations you need to stay calm, be patient..because the more you scream,scold, or yell it is going to work reverse.

so if he fails doing a job, leave it unnoticed. if he does do the job, appreciate. he needs to realise that he has choice of doing things in a way.

2 people like this.
  3. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Charu,

1. It happens with more parents and in more families than we think.
    2. Letting them face consequences is a nice idea worth implemetnig, but, not the solution.
    3. What is solution? Not sure, but, I found that spending more 1-1 time with child, full attention on the child (not doing chores, and cell phone not nearby), and being in the vicinity when he is doing homework, helps immensely. Even when he is watching TV, or playing games, reading a book, or on the computer/phone, pop in and saying something, helps.

2 people like this.
  4. shobhamma

shobhamma Gold IL'ite

Dear Charu
    Reading your subsequent posts got a better idea about the problem and your frustration.
    It seems you have a two fold problem with discipline. For the child as well as the adults.
    First thing you should do is to talk to your husband and decide to stand united all agreement and disagreement about methods should be discussed minus the kid. When one parent says something other should not contradict otherwise the child will play you one against the other.
    Grandparents are rather difficult, but they also have the welfare of the kid at heart. try to explain them that they can comfort him but not undermine your command. Like if you say No TV, They can say it is too bad , but he has to abide by it.
    Even if they dont fall in line you and your husband can band together.

Now, seems you have a pretty smart child. So do not stay mad . I suggest you sit with him and explain the rules. Then ask HIM what punishment or rewards should be given to him, and then stick to them. No need to rant and rave but quietly and firmly stick to whatever is agreed.
    Stopping the pocket money, restricting TV/ computer/ Game console time has worked for me. You have to figure out what he likes and go accordingly. He will be more cooperative when he is part of the system.
    You are a smart caring capable mom of a smart kid, just frustrated now. This venting is ok. I am sure you will work out a compromise and keep your sanity.
    God Bless.

2 people like this.
  5. swt.charu

swt.charu Platinum IL'ite

Thank you @Shanvy and @Rihana..

@Shanvy... I really don't know how to analyse this... I know I am dealing with a different character and that's the very reason I fear I will lose him to his own workings... to be very very honest I am still not upto seeking "help" ...

your mentioning night time discussions not involving anything serious triggered a memory..

One such night he tells me he wants to grow up and become someone who makes washing machine (this discussion was initiated by him and not me asking what you would be when you grow up :) )...I got really curious and proded him a bit and he gave me a complete business plan... things he said were that his new type of machines will throw clothes from the laundry basket themselves after sorting using some sort of robotic function, add detergent themselves and come out neatly ironed, wrinkle free (thats the innovation part) ... he will get his dad to sell them as he hates selling (my hubby is into sales and marketing ) and put the money he earns in my bank (I work for a bank) ... and he goes on and says when everybody else also start making similar smart washing machines he will drop the price of his own machine really down so that no one can catch up.... the last one caught me offguard .. really... I know he would have caught these during our adult discussions involving similar subjects but I did not expect him to string these together and have a plan in his head...

yet ... he cannot go about doing his brushing and bathing in an orderly manner...simply becuase they are just nuisance and mean nothing to him (??)

His class teacher to my utter surprise confessed this to me... she says she thought he lacked interest most of the time and hence was aloof in class but once or twice when she pulled him to do some task other than academic he did display how he could have complete control over what he did and delivered on the task more than expected...she apologied for not having found his capabilities earlier and assured she will involve him more and more..

I too am convinced the adult interactions at my home confuses him.... I am at my wit's end on how to "effectively" and "permanently" resolve it... I am happy about he having his grand parents around to love him unconditionally without any judgement what so ever... the difficult party is my hubby and he thinks its me ... we (me and hubby) are poles apart and resoloving any parenting issues is an exhausting war for me.

3 people like this.
  6. swt.charu

Thank you Shobamma ..He is smart at many levels when one interacts with him which as per me is of no "real" use to him or anyone around him unless it triggers action ... getting him to act is where I fail miserably..

my hubby thinks I fuss too much and unnecessarily..

7. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

typical lazy dreamer..lol..(tamizhla nogama nongu edukaravangannu paeru..)

I would have taken that to emphasise that to develop such a wm he needs to work hard, understand concepts accept loads of trial runs and then learn to sell what is so special about his machine that some x will buy it. even if his dad is the best sales person, he needs to sell the machine to him first so that he can be convinced.. and that you believe that he/sonny boy can definitely do it if and only if he is a little more focussed and hardworking.

enlist yourself with better tools to motivate. no screaming, no complains, no criticism and no what will become of him..(live your life a little..yes we are parents but we are adults and entitled to fun and life for self..)

one of the reasons i tell you ask for a external help because somebody who will assess him in person will be able to help you a lot better especially with a husband who is refusing to look at the issue and is in denial. you can also enlist the help of his teachers.

i went through my bookmarks, as i had a memory of a pdf that had lots of suggestions..it was shared by a counselor long time back in a group..
    see if it helps..
    http://behavior-coach.com/EbookMotivatingVer3.pdf

you may check inktalks and watch them with him. especially the ones like..
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxS5He3KVEM
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1-qvjPqaJ0
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMPqsjuXDmE
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4_MeS6SOwk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFExgTJzEV4
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wx9v_J34Fyo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVSzJsNEBtU

Oh I can go on and on..but let me ..

2 people like this.
  8. inboxsweetee

inboxsweetee Gold IL'ite

Calm down , Sit , relax for a while .

This is life everyone will have good and bad days just control to react and take it same way both ... Eventually everything fall in place.

Believe me you are good mother and your child is a child let him enjoy the childhood . Not lectures will work :) ... for kids..

You just take a break and think how our parents would have handles us ...

Just that this is your time and you can do it well. Be happy

9. swt.charu

I think this is key word I was looking for ... lazy dreamer and my son is just that...

As I write this, I am motivated to spin stories around "lazy dreamer" and tell / read those to him... have some fun games / talk around how not to be a lazy dreamer...

Thank you for all the material...I am sure I will pick some techniques..

1 person likes this.
  10. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@swt.charu
    believe me i was a wee bit worried, to use that term, but i thought it fits the whole behaviour pattern ...

btw me and my kids watch a lot of inktalks, some of them are so inspiring. the one about srikanth bolla definitely inspired my son.so who knows..

you never know who will inspire whom or what..that moment of time, that just has to happen and then there is no turning point..it happens to most of us.. keep working on it..and a few rocky mountains and rocks inspired my boy towards his career selection..

i know it is a very tiring, frustrating journey, here is what you should do..think of some of us who had to battle with more than than this laziness..