1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Hyterectomy after 3 c-sections

Discussion in 'Gynaecology' started by angelindreams, Jan 31, 2012.

1. angelindreams

angelindreams Bronze IL'ite

[JUSTIFY]Hi all

need your valuable suggestions. I am bit worried about my mother. My mom had 3 c-section. She had last c section 24 years ago. Now she is aged 52. Her periods are regular and bleeding is also normal on time but every 15 days she sees a bit brownish discharge for 1-2 days. She went for a scan and doctor said she had a fibroid and her econometric thickness is 9mm and she is on 20th day of cycle. Doctor suggested hysterectomy . But she is scared about having hysterectomy after 3 caesareans . Are there any complications ?? Anyone had this experience earlier ?
    [/JUSTIFY]

2. cissyboo

cissyboo Silver IL'ite

Tell your mum not to worry about hysterectomy. I had one in December after two c sections. Granted, my last birth was only 13 years ago, but I had no real complications. The surgeon used the same incision site as the c-sections (low transverse<horizontal> scar) for me, as my fibroids were too large(the uterus was filled with them, largest was 14 cm) for a vaginal hysterectomy. There will be pain, and she will have a month or so longer recovery time (depending on the type of surgery). I used my recovery to make my husband and children do more around the house.:thumbsup The big thing is to not do anything to compromise the healing incision-no heavy lifting, no hard exercise, no sit down baths (shower only), and keep it clean.
    She needs to get a second opinion, re the hysterectomy, as there are many other options to treat fibroids -laser ablation (the lining of the uterus is cauterized to prevent bleeding), embolization (cutting off the blood supply), and myectomy (removal of the fibroid itself only), drug treatments, and waiting for menopause are just a few options. Here is a good link with treatment options:Uterine fibroids: Treatments and drugs - MayoClinic.com
    Good luck to your mum, whatever her decision is.</horizontal>

3. angelindreams

angelindreams Bronze IL'ite

Thanks for reply cissyboo... doctor didn't really say that it has done immediately. But she was saying econometric thickness of 9mm at 52 is unusual and hysterectomy needs to be done..sooner the better.

4. cissyboo

cissyboo Silver IL'ite

I think the doctor may be worried about cancer risk after menopause if the fibroid continues to cause thickening of the endometrium post menopause. If the doctor does a hysterectomy, but leaves the ovaries intact, there is no need for hormone replacement until natural menopause comes. Your mum needs to consider all her options, but if the doctor is worried about the thickness of the endometrium, and that is why she suggests hysterectomy-then wouldn't your mum rather do it now, while she is young, than when she is older and have a harder time recovering? Plus, where there is one fibroid, she may end up with more than one, which could lead to a more invasive surgery. I waited too long, and had to get an abdominal hysterectomy, rather than a less invasive vaginal hysterectomy.
    Hope this was helpful, and best wishes to your mother and your family.

1 person likes this.