1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Husband's Sister Is Currently Visiting My House Since Over 1 Week, Nephew Is Breaking Things

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by nakshatra1, Jan 5, 2018.

1. nakshatra1

nakshatra1 Platinum IL'ite

One of my SILs has been visiting and staying at our house since Christmas, Her little son is so mischieveous and making mess of the house, broke some things.
    I feel a bit awkward to tell him anything. SIL never says anything.He is so cute, but how do I keep him in reign. They are here for 2 more days, but they visit often as they live in Delhi. So I want solution for all visits. He is just 5 years old, and otherwise a real cutie-pie- don't feel like saying anything to him. Should I talk to SIL?

2. Needtobestrong

Needtobestrong Platinum IL'ite

Actually being the mother, your SIL should take her of her son and make sure he doesn't break stuff and plays safely..surprising that she doesn't care..what does she do when she s at ur place? Does she make u babysit and roam around? Every time your SIL visits , put away all breakable items in some shelf or some safe place where he can't reach..put if there are any shelves at low level put child safety locks..express your concern to SIL that if the nephew breaks any items, he may hurt himself with broken pieces or put them in the mouth, any way to make sure it doesn't happen? Then she may become alert..
    Also tell him affectionately that the particular items he plays with is not suitable for him and gently take it away..kids are sharp and understand to some extent.,

nakshatra1 and Archanaanchan like this.
  3. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

I had a similar experience with an aunt's kid. We used to call him the tornado because that's the kind of destruction he does whenever he visits. We lived in the same city so used to visit us often.

Every time we get a call they are visiting, me n my brother used to hide all our stuff, lock cupboards, move everything out of reach. I remember limiting him to an area, giving him some toys or stationary n try to keep him busy n also keeping all the rooms locked. We also used to tell him "no".

Since your Sil isn't bothering, it's better you scare her using his safety as an issue. Say some kid you know swallowed something n suffocated or got cut n bled badly, since then you are pretty scared about him.

If she's still useless, start telling the kid to stop. It may bother her n she will start telling the kid or if she still doesn't, then you can try if the kid listens to you. Or ask your husband to say. Where's the kids dad ?

4. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

You could talk to ur SIL but in my exp it does not help and if anything only strains the relationship. No matter how careful a parent is its hard to keep an eye on a little bundle of energy 24/7. Having been at the receiving end of generosity and kindness of many of my family members when my own boys were little ,kid-proofing the house is the best all around solution. Put away all items that are of sentimental value /things that can break easily and hurt the kid or anyone near by / those that are hard to replace away in a locked cabinet before the visit. I even had a friend visit me many years ago who would do a complete walk through of my house spot all potential fragile/dangerous items and put them away herself before she let the kid out his carseat. These years pass all too quickly . Memories of holidays at mamas place will be something the child will cherish for a lifetime. Its just a couple more days. Hopefully for the next visit you will be better prepared !

SGBV, nakshatra1, peartree and 3 others like this.
  5. JustAnotherMom

JustAnotherMom Platinum IL'ite

@justanothergirl see, this is why I like you, this positive approach!!! and the right and mature guidance !!!

justanothergirl, peartree and Srama like this.
  6. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Keep a carton handy. Put all breakables in it before he comes and put it away in a safe place.

Kids grow up so fast. Soon he will be sitting in one corner with his mobile .

Some day your kids will do the same in her house .:rolleyes:

7. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

Haha exactly my thoughts !

yellowmango likes this.
  8. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

@nakshatra1,
    I agree with JAG @justanothergirl about talking to your sil. You also seem to have a healthy relationship with her and a genuine love for the little one. If you feel your sil will take it in stride, considering he is at an age where he can understand, maybe you can try gently telling him, teaching him the right approach - that is the teacher in me talking. So please weigh the consequences before you decide. And like JAG mentioned, when my SILs kids visited, my dad would hurry around removing things out of the reach of my SILs kids.

It is a little tricky ......nurture the relationship and for the same nurturing reason, you need to come up with a plan or a state of complete acceptance.

9. nakshatra1

nakshatra1 Platinum IL'ite

Thanks all for your suggestions.

10. Rosey2018

Rosey2018 Bronze IL'ite

I’d talk to the kid in a baby tone and say how u feel that it’s not good to break things in someone’s house people will think you’re naughty when ur not. Say it in front of sis in law so she gets the hint.