Husband-wife: to wrok in same company same project...what do u suggest???

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by smile14, Jan 8, 2010.

1. smile14

smile14 Gold IL'ite

Hi All,

I would like to have suggestion frm u all. I have got offer from 2 reputed companies.
    One is whr my husband works and even the project in which I will work is the same one.

Salari diffrence is very minor. So wht do u ppl suggest?

2. lavii

lavii Gold IL'ite

i belive there are advantages and disadvantages
    adv
    1)can be with spouse for a max time
    2) understands work pressure you have and could be helpful at home and work too

disadv
    1)if he is overpossesive you may have issues in talking to other mates in office
    2) if something goes wrong you or your dh may have to face session from higher management some people dont like spouse to be a part of it and watch it

3. priya g

priya g Senior IL'ite

Hey smile14....nice to know that you have got good offers in hand! Congrats!
    regarding your query, my 2 cents:-
    NEVER NEVER join in the same organization as that of your husband even if the money is more. Simply because you would end up discussing office matters all the time even at home. You may have arguments over performance issues. people/colleagues may treat you differently...the list is real looong! As a wife you may be wanting to be with your hubby, but a little circle of yours that involves your professional friends/colleagues is always good and necessary. After all, we all are different human beings first then husband and wife! Once you are away from each other for a substantial part of your daily routine, you would like to be closer together later and would know its importance. Thats my take!
    good luck! :thumbsup

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  4. pandusk

pandusk Gold IL'ite

Hey Smile,

me and my DH were working in the same company, we were so used to each other, after some time he got a good offer and moved to a different company..it took me some time to settle down without him..We would love to be in the same office..That is my opinion..:thumbsup

There are advantages and disadvantages, it is upto you who has knows the better picture..

Good Luck

Pandu

5. smile14

smile14 Gold IL'ite

Hey, thnks for ur suggestions....
    even I feel working in the same project is not a good situation....sometimes our personal tension will come with us in office too....and vice versa.......
    on the other hand its good to stay away a little time and share diffrent group and place....to have that feeling to get together again is really good.......

many times minor issues becomes so big...like he may npt like somebody but my terms could be good with that person....or this can happen the other way round......this list is long....

to avaoid these minor day to day things its better to work at different places ....

6. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

my personal opinion is to b in different projects...same company is ok...
    so that both have privacy(not to say we will do immoral things) but just general privacy... at home too we will have different things to talk about....more new learnings from each person.....

7. reshsabu

reshsabu Gold IL'ite

I feel working in different projects is fine. I dont recommend working together in same project.

Projectmates may make comparisons between you and DH and it may cause strain. Eg: Wife is such a smart worker and DH is very slow.

I have seen instances where projectmates raise concerns that the wife is getting advantages like promotions, flexible work options etc since her husband is able to influence these decisions . Sometimes, people dont give you credit even for your well-deserved awards and recognitions and say that you got it because of your DH.

So, it is best not to work in same project.

8. VidyaaJ

VidyaaJ Silver IL'ite

Yes I would second reshsabu.. Working in a different project is fine but not in the same project...

Vidyaa

9. manasa_gs

manasa_gs Senior IL'ite

Hi Smile,
    I think this decision is solely ur choice, coz couples differ. If you guys are very broadminded, go together with a group, then should not be a problem. But my personal choice is a Big NOOOOOOOOO.

I dont like to be with a single person if it is an office environment. We should have our own set of frds, etc. and already we hav lot of issues at home, why bring that at office too:rotfl:rotfl

Anyway what is yur husband saying abt this??

10. smile14

smile14 Gold IL'ite

Thanks a lot all your ladies for your valuable comments.

We both(me n my DH) feel that working at same place will not be good in long run. we'll have same group. same people, same talks etc......
    n there could be lot more minor issues which could cause tensions....
    so its always better to work at diffrenet place...

One more thing my husband says is, if we both are in same project, just imagine if at some time the project work is done or it scraps of anything like that...we both will be on bench at the same time......which is not good.rather at diffrent places thises chances will be minimised even if something worng happens with one person at least another one could be safe.....