1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Husband-wife Relationship...still Exists???

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by anika987, Sep 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

In many houses, this is the story.
    Emotional bonding is also important as sex.

anika987 and shravs3 like this.
  2. troubledmom

troubledmom Gold IL'ite

What you are describing is the life of an nri family. Nothing odd or abnormal about it. I feel actually all is well with your family that’s the good news. You are feeling like this because you feel profoundly out of place. If you fix that part, rest of picture will come back into focus.

We are not robots to blindly just keep repeating same things. It is human to stop and question -what is this, where am I headed... do I really want to go there.
    Because you are an NRI and have so many things working correctly and in place you have the luxury of indulging this kind of self questioning and resetting. This is normal.
    Take advantage of it.
    Once you figure this out all will go back to normal don’t worry about it.

anika987, Sunshine04 and Amulet like this.
  3. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Life of IT workers is the same in India as well. It is quite possible for a IT-wife and mom staying at home in a suburban villa (far outside the city) and twiddling her fingers all day. However in India, so many things dont work like they are supposed to, and it will keep her occupied all day. And at the end of the day... she is as pooped as her poopsie. [why is poopsie a term of endearment in America?] and glad that he is not making any demands on the romantic front.
    I remember that old song in raga Hindolam "Kya kahe kaise kahe..."

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
    anika987 likes this.
  4. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Ladies, please enlighten me here.

I really don't understand certain parts of this post, and the responses.. and especially when everyone appreciate such responses here.

@anika987 is yet to be 40, and from her other posts, I sensed that she is very young at mind, and healthy.
    Is it really OK to live in a sexless marriage for a long time?
    What about her sex drives and needs?
    I understand that she is from a very conservative Indian woman, who wouldn't wander outside for sex.
    Is it OK to suppress this important need?

And my point here is, how come a woman's sexual need can be met by doing Yoga or any other activity like changing curtains and bed sheets?

I mean, there should be an underlying reason behind prolonged sexless marriage. You can't address it by mere interior decor.

We had sex at times when our previous home was dusty and dirty (after returning from a long vacation)
    And we also had sex when our small kids were sleeping next to us
    We had sex when I was pregnant, and when things were not so great at home front.
    It is a physical need like hunger and thirsty.

I would eat better if my home is clean and presented nicely.
    I would eat better if I am at the best of my emotions (happy, pride all)
    But it doesn't mean I would starve if the above is missing. I would still eat when I am sad, and the home is untidy.
    Got me???

If I am starving from food, then there should be some serious underlying reason... Same goes for sex too.

On the other hand, she is talking about lack of emotional connect between herself and her spouse.
    I could see some light if she follows some of the responses above.
    But there is a long way to go. Even if that takes a long journey, it is worth the effort.

5. KrishnaPriya3

KrishnaPriya3 Silver IL'ite

It is clearly showing that what she wants and has been missing in @anika987's life. I Don't support or advice the idea of look outside for sex but in confusion like you how she balances or forget her sexual and emotional vaccum with occuping herself in doing other activities? I am in hesitatiin to put my thoughts here finally, you posted. Thank you for your bold step and I like your open mindedness, maturity in handling sensitive issues.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
    SGBV, Sunshine04 and anika987 like this.
  6. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

We see what she posts. I've asked Anika about the spouse's support multiple times before when she has posted about one of her kids, neighbors, friends etc. I think twice she responded and told me that he's supportive.

What more can a spouse do?

Stuff that I deduced from her responses are -
    She doesn't want to work. He's supportive of that and has affirmed her thoughts many times. When others diss her for being a SAHM, she has these conversations with him and he tells her each time that their opinions don't matter. Don't pay attention to them.
    She takes others comments to heart. Literally. Gets stuck on it for a long time. Apparently, he keeps telling her that they don't matter to him. He doesn't have a problem with who she is.
    She wants financial freedom. She's been very clear on that. She's stated multiple times that she has that even though she's a SAHM. From her own statements, he's been supportive of that as well. So much so that she really doesn't feel the need to work for financial freedom or for the future. He takes care of all that.
    She herself stated while discussing her kids that her DH is also a hands-on dad and will do things with the kids. He's tired but will still do stuff with them. That's one of the earliest questions I've asked when her child came up in some discussion.

This is the United States. Life is mechanical. It gets hard for both spouses over long periods of time. It happens. At such times, what Shanvy said really helps. It helps everyone in the house if we put our emotions away for a day or two and just be present at the moment.

Regarding sex, is it still possible to have a great sex life, in a long-standing marriage with stresses? Absolutely. What was effortless as a twenty-something-year-old has evolved too. Now, I have to actually put in some effort. Each year that passes, I have extra layers of things I have to do. My current situation is I have to work it in my mind too. I have to literally coach myself to stop actively thinking about things and be in the moment. Sex these days is as much in the head as it is in the bed.

Regarding curtains, nobody has said changing curtains will help curb physical desires or bring about an active sex life. All of those tips were for a girl who is having some low self-esteem and we are hoping that these small things bring about positive changes in her mood and hopefully positivity begets positivity. It's for a woman we have come to know through her postings and genuinely hope she gets the strength to take these small tips, start taking small steps in her mind and bringing up her self-esteem to a level where she doesn't have to worry about what people are saying about her or to her. Hopefully, she will build herself up to such a level where she doesn't need validation from external factors.

7. SinghManisha

SinghManisha Platinum IL'ite

Anika, You are not wrong in expecting interaction and companionship from the husband. Isn’t that what marriage is for ? Spirituality and self dependence is good but what is a marriage with no interaction ? Things get busy as parents but one can still spend meal times catching up, texting each other and many other ways.
    I don’t think you should feel bad about wanting anything else from him because you have financial freedom etc. you are lonely in this marriage and you need to correct that.
    This needs to be addressed ASAP because your husband is super comfortable with this set up. Ask him to take off from work one day when kids are at school and go for a long lunch. Talk and pour your heart out. Tell him this is important for you because you are at the point of questioning the validity of this marriage . That is a big thing.

Not getting any attention from the husband can be crushing for the self esteem. Do you think your depression and other issues could be because of that?

Let us know how things work out. I have been through similar situations and nudging the husband has worked sometimes.

anika987, Laks09 and KrishnaPriya3 like this.
  8. SinghManisha

SinghManisha Platinum IL'ite

I agree with you for the most part ! Intimacy and emotional connect are both missing here and so important for a marriage . The lack of emotional connect needs to be fixed first before the intimacy issues can be addressed.
    I have to admit I was surprised to see some responses too. It seemed like she has financial freedom and a cushy life and is being ungrateful in complaining about lack of attention from the husband. Why not address these issues instead of shoving them aside with new drapes, curtains , meditation etc. ?

Laks09 and KrishnaPriya3 like this.
  9. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hmm. Now you are making me think deep, on a rare Sunday when I have free time!
    I hope my response is not taken in that sense. I was responding to whatever the poster had responded to in the past. Maybe we should wait for her to clarify. I don’t want to be the person shoving aside her genuine concerns.

SinghManisha and anika987 like this.
  10. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

I do understand as we grow older priorities changes and tiredness occurs..

We cannot be like how we were in our twenties..

However,it has been a year since we had sex..sorry to be blunt.He found a new job and is working hard but timings are crazy.

In India,we too any distractions..even 10 minutes hubby time is a bliss.

In USA,I do agree I have a comfy setup but lack of buzzling life and seeking comfort with our spouses makes namkewaste problems also bigger...

I do not know if my complaints are normal and is most spouse super busy..Again as I mentioned..my husband is a good guy and I feel secure but I want a "relationship"..that's all..

How do I say?I feel we are good friends..not like a husband and wife..

I just want to know if this is how life generally goes as we grow older..I am ready to throw my complaints out of the window,apologize,clear my heart and move on..

I do not want to have that feeling of "what if"

Amulet likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.