1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Husband Verses Parents

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by BhumiBabe, Jul 25, 2017.

1. BhumiBabe

BhumiBabe Platinum IL'ite

Hello Everyone... I am back.

I'll start with an update, things are progressing... we'll call in improvement because it's not really bad (except a few hiccups). Anyway, I am back because of a problem that has been sitting in my mind for a while, and was put into words this weekend. Btw, the advice about leaving my husband, sounds all nice, but we are at the fixing our relationship stage. He has been putting effort to improve our relationship, so I want to give my fair shot as well.

My husband has a very bad opinion of my father, since the VERY beginning. For what reason, no body, not even his parents can comprehend. Recently, when I was ready to leave him, my father intervened, forced the entire family (his parents included) to come in for counseling. So basically, my father is the reason, I decided to stay in this marriage when I was ready to leave (there's more back story on this, but it's really not important). But since my father intervened, my husband has been vehement about my parents visiting our house and has aggressively scolded my 2- year old son when he started affectionately calling my mom and dad by our family's terms of grandma and grandpa (which he doesn't approve - his family uses different words to refer to grandma and grandpa). My son no longer says anything to my parents during facetime calls, because he's afraid to be scolded. I have also modified my own behavior to not call my parents while he is in the house - not because I respect him, but I don't want to deal with a passive-aggressive person for the rest of the week.

Anyway, my in-laws have requested me to be patient and things will improve with time. But it hurts a lot that my parents are not welcome in my son's life (and by extension, my life) because my dad came to be my champion when things were rough. I don't want to make things worse by just deciding to visit my parents with my son, when I want to, because that has already caused problems (basically, my husband says I can go, but leave "his" son behind). But, at the same time, when I keep my husband in the loop and invite him to take us, it's literally the most miserable trip, that I would rather never go (and it's only 2 days - not even enough to spend time. My husband hogs up all the time with my son, just to one-up my parents anyway). Is there a way that I can spend time with my parents and son, without having my husband screw it all up?

ashneys likes this.

2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Overall, there is way too much interference (solicited, unsolicited, needed, not needed) from both sides of parents. Him taking an inexplicable dislike to your parent is one thing. Happens. That dislike or bad opinion being examined and discussed with his parents is an unnecessary complication. Involve other people in your affairs as sparingly as possible.

Your husband knows this? That your father is the reason you decided to stay?

You mention it sometimes during a heated discussion? Something like, "The very person you are criticizing is the reason I am even staying on and working on our marriage."

If one or both of the above is true, then, his reaction is understandable. When a couple need help from a parent, close relative or close friend to help them "patch up" a bit and decide to work on the marriage, that parent/relative/friend should kind of make himself/herself a little scarce for a few months or a year when the couple is attempting to get marriage back on track. "Why" is a long side story. Let's say the frequency of that person associating or meeting the couple should lessen so both the man and woman get a fair chance and space to try to work on the marriage without an intended or unwitting periodic examination of the state of the union by that person.

It has even been my experience that when a friend or close relative helps a couple with marital problems, that friendship or relationship changes a lot or ends too. Of course, parents do not fall into that category of relationship ending, but a temporary distance is advisable.

How often are these calls? And how often are the visits (your parents to your house and vice-versa). No need to list. But, if these take up a majority of a month's weekends, then, it can annoy the person whose parents live outside the country.

They tell you to be patient. What do they tell their son? Never fall for these 'be patient' advice from in-laws. It is just a way to put your on simmer mode or back-burner. When push comes to shove, each side supports their child only. Blood is always thicker.

You are wise to not want to make this an issue right now. This spending time with parents and son.. can it be dropped for now? Can you be like the women whose parents live in India and they meet once in one or two years? Not so rare, but cut down your meetings to once in a few months. Even during very happy times, a big imbalance between visits/calls to his and her parents can have a negative impact.

It is not like the visit or the call ends and it is done with. There are remnant effects. You talk about it, think about it, comment, bring up little things that happened during the call or visit.

If I were in your place, I would start to heavily cut down on details, feelings and vents shared with parents and in-laws. You got the help needed, train is getting back on track, now lessen other people's involvement.

Sunburst, poovai and Nonya like this.
  3. BhumiBabe

First of all, thank you for the reply. I'm so confused all over again. Yes, my husband knows I stayed because of my father and I know that it's the same for him. His father told him to stay in this marriage because divorce would be a hell worse than this

Well, since we came to the point of divorce, both my parent and his parents are involved. My parents live in their house, 4 hour drive away from us. Currently, his parents are at our house, taking care of our son, so it's not like my parents are close enough to bother us.

One call every 1 or 2 weeks. Our visits... once every 4 months...maybe? I only visit my parents twice a year.

My parents get no details...because I don't talk to them much. And my in-laws live with us right now, so they know what happens in the house- I don't really share details. My husband, when he gets riled up can't help but complain to them and try to get them to agree with him. Which they don't, because at this point, my Inlaws know that if the provocation gets bad enough, I will leave.

I am not asking about right now, but every time there's a disagreement, he always mentions that they are not allowed in "his" house. I am actually hoping to seem my parents around Thanksgiving (November), because my friend's wedding coincides. The last time I visited my parents, it was for another friend's wedding. Otherwise, I wouldn't have the chance to go.

Anyway, it all feels hopeless. I'm trying not to take it personally, but it's very frustrating to think that only if I detach completely from my parents, would my husband feel secure about our relationship.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
  4. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

May be he does not want you to get their support when things very wrong next time. .

This should be a point in your counseling sessions if you are still going .

He should not controlling your interactions nor you should cut your parents off from your and your kids life .

You need to get agreement on this point that you will be maintaining the contact with your parents . He is the one who has the issue , so he needs to work his way to engage himself without bothering you when you meet your parents.

These things if you give in now , it will become a rule . You may asked to cut off the relation completely and many people do it too to protect marriages . It is you who need decide if your husband is that important to cut parents of your life .

You should continue to call , if it helps you can do it in his absence , you should start going without your husband . When he says leave your child and go assert your rights in child and also your parents rights to interact with heir grand child . He can choose to stay back and enjoy his alone time .

GoneGirl and BhumiBabe like this.
  5. BhumiBabe

You're right, we need to go to counseling again. we haven't for the past month, thinking everything is ok.

He is very passive aggressive, so it might seem like he is allowing me to see my parents, but in actuality, I will get the most uncooperative and mean-spirited person to deal with for the week before I get to see them. And he will make a big fuss on the drive there, purposely bashing me and other things, because he's driving me to my hometown "for me".

6. WiseAgnes

WiseAgnes Gold IL'ite

Hi, BB! I was reading your post along with my husband, and if you don't mind, he will also share his opinion.
    My opinion: First of all, I remember all your posts and it's hard for me to not be biased against your husband. I don't feel like giving him second chances, but I will make an effort. Passive aggressiveness is also a form of control, a form of emotional abuse. His tries to gain his power over you by being nasty when you talk to your parents and you are already giving in his selfish demands. No judgement here, you just try to keep the home peaceful. However, you should understand that if you keep giving in, his behavior will not get better because he knows that these cheap tricks work with you. I would recommend to be calm, but firm. Keep talking to your parents, and ignore his behavior. Your parents are very important part of your and your kid's life and no one has a right to stand between you. Believe me, over time he will realize that his manipulative behavior doesn't work with you anymore. Very likely, he will find some other way to manipulate you because the problem is not your parents, but his selfish and controlling nature.

Ravi's opinion: Hello, BhumiBabe. I'm sorry that your husband behaves like an immature 5-year old, not a man. Kindly remind him that the reason you are still with him is your father and this is also the reason why he sees "his" son every day. Just for this reason, he has to touch your dad's feet and thank him every time he is around.
    I don't know the story of your marriage, but from this one post I take that your husband doesn't respect you and doesn't care for your feelings. The majority of Indian women will bend backwards to compromise in a marriage, but what did he do to keep this marriage happy? Tell him that this is the compromise he has to make to make this marriage work. What kind of man wouldn't let his son to see his grandparents and his wife visit her parents? Only a pathetic a**hole with serious ego issues. He is not worth of you compromising so much for him. If he doesn't like you visiting your own parents, this is only his problem and he does need a counselor to convey this to him

We hope you find a right solution and good luck from both of us!!!

dia3, curiousgals78, guesshoo and 3 others like this.
  7. BhumiBabe

I always have a high regard for your advise @WiseAgnes. Whenever you post, it'll like a bucket of cold water, reminding me that I live in reality, not in ancient history. I am trying to keep an open mind, about this marriage, because technically, we are starting over and giving each other a chance. This time around, I am not sacrificing myself in the process. Each time he finds out a bit about me (things that I am discrete about, like using my father's Netflix account - which shouldn't be a big deal, but apparently he doesn't want me to watch netflix), it puts him in a bad mood. It makes me very nervous about what will happen if he finds out more about me (I keep a lot of my activities under wraps, because of bad experience at the start of our marriage).

Thank you, Ravi, for your opinion too. You needn't apologize for him. I definitely don't. He is trying to compromise, he's just not very open minded, and he doesn't know how to deal with someone who is VERY different from him. Since his parents are staying with us, the differences might seem more apparent. I think this is a serious enough issue to take to the counselor. If it doesn't get resolved... I think it's a dealbreaker.

WiseAgnes likes this.
  8. WiseAgnes

WiseAgnes Gold IL'ite

Thank you for your kind words, BB. I hope my comment doesn't sound too pessimistic, I truly you and your little one happiness. This is great that you don't sacrifice yourself anymore. I feel like in this situation the best shot would be to resume the counseling if it was helpful. Maybe the counselor will get to the root of why your husband doesn't like your father so much. Maybe the counselor will help him understand how his actions impact you and his son.
    If the forum rules permit it, I will attach this surprisingly good WikiHow article about passive-aggressive relationship. Maybe you will find something helpful here for yourself
    How to Deal with a Passive Aggressive Relationship

BhumiBabe likes this.
  9. eternalnomad

eternalnomad Silver IL'ite

Hi @BhumiBabe

I feel that I can relate to you in a lot of ways. Having been brought up in a western country for a big chunk of my formative years and then married someone who was born and brought up in India I guess our stories have some big similarities. I've followed your posts for the most part and feel that the animosity your husband has against your father is probably because he resents the power/influence your dad has in your life, specifically in your continuing in this marriage like you said. It sounds like a bit of an ego clash and we know how big egos are for Indian men. It's unfortunate that he can't let it go. I'm really tempted to ask how you are still putting up with him or why. But of course, it's easy to preach and advise but at the end of the day, divorce is only a last resort. I think it's great that you guys are giving it a real go again but at the same time, it's really important that BOTH of you are equally committed to this second chance. Is your husband really going out of his way to make it work like you are? He seems to be consciously getting between your son and his grandparents. How come he has such a problem with your folks spending time with your son or staying at your place but it's totally fine for his own parents to be there for months at a time? Is that not a double standard? I'm not saying that as a criticism towards his folks, they seem rather supportive and understanding actually. But this guy seriously needs some tough love and a reality check

10. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

The answers to that why question are usually present in the persons involved in the situation. And often these are never laid out in the open, perhaps because these are not all that clear-cut and apparent. There is a nebulous, and fuzzy cost/benefit tussle in their own minds. Or... some think of it as the remaining equity in the marriage, like in a balance-sheet equation: Assets-Liabilities = Equity
    There has to be redeeming qualities for things to hang together, and not split apart.