1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Husband Planning to move inlaws with us

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Goahead, Jul 21, 2014.

1. Goahead

Goahead Silver IL'ite

My husband has not mentioned it directly but i think hes planning to move inlaws with us to US from India.
    I want to be prepared well in advance, so seeking all your inputs on how to handle this

My worst fear

1.Inlaws are not that old, so have a big mouth .They want to do things their way.My life will revolve only around them, sil and all their relatives. So i totally loose my privacy, my way of doing things

2. SIL - My inlaws have favoritism towards SIL . they believe in giving her everything, and also believe that we should be giving her as well (being brother)

3. Finances: My inlaws do not believe in spending for us and my husband is overgenerous when in comes to his family. He fails to see that thy have money, but they want to grab everything from us . We will have to incur their health insurances ( going to be in 1000's dollar per month) and then other regular expensive

Can you all ladies please guide me in terms of things that I should be putting forward ? I'm not against taking care of them when they get old, but at this age it will become more like a family drama as they are pretty good in shape to argue, fight and put their own opinions.

2. gauridinesh

gauridinesh Platinum IL'ite

How approachable is your DH?
    1) have a discussion with DH. In a non-argumentative, non-'blaming' way, tell them that there are somethings that you expect him to make sure when they move in. You need to set the ground rules with HIM first. Make sure that they dont encroach into your privacy (like sharing bedrooms/bathrooms/cupboards etc). Get a TV for yourself in the bedroom.
    2) When they come, dont hand over the household to your MIL. Make sure that you are the primary person responsible for kitchen. You decide what the menu is, you replenish the groceries
    3) Keep away from any negative talks with MIL. Dont engage them in their banter. If they praise the SIL, listen and ignore. Smile and walk away so that they do not continue the topic.
    4) Finances - again you have to convince your DH. You have to tell him to keep aside an amount as savings, considering that the household expenses are going to increase once they are here.

2 people like this.
  3. Anamika99

Anamika99 Gold IL'ite

I have the same fear now that we are citizens. :(

Have you been with ur in-laws ever for longer period of time? Or based on a few weeks you have spent with them , you have figured out things what you mentioned above.
    Just asking as if you have not lived with them for a stretch period time, it may add to your list (not to scare you) and you may want to expirence more to figure out so that you can plan your disussion with your DH

i do not think it will be ever possible in my case but a very few families are implementing ideas like
    Having parents in close by area and not the same house like 3 blocks down or something
    Having parents in attached home - so kind of same home but still separate and separate entries, combined kithchen.

See if that is something wld worl for u and start thinking abt it

1 person likes this.
  4. Goahead

Goahead Silver IL'ite

hi there,

Anamika: these options wt be possible for me .My husband wold leave me even if i propose something like this.
    He is very much attached to his parents , even when they are lying on our face. he fights with me for not ignoring their lies.
    Is there any way i can prolonge this situation. something that would give me more years ?
    I'm so stressed out and is loosing my peace of mind over this. If this happens, it will be a nightmare for me.

5. Anamika99

Anamika99 Gold IL'ite

i understand, my DH is that way too in terms of his attachment...but thankfully over the years I have made him understand me.
    I do not have any ideas how to escape living with in-laws permemnantly, i will watch out for this thread in case somebody suggests something. But i can tell you what you can do to make it bit easier for you when they move in

1) Start having relationship with your DH that he can understand you, be in his good book. So initially he will just understand you but will then will help you ur issues with PILs
    2) if you are not working, find something work or hobby classes that gets you out of the house regulalry - else it is so hard to be with them 24x7
    3) Start finding help...if u r working or will work, managing everything can get too much an letting it to go to your MIL, she will rule. Have a maid or something
    4) if you do not have friends where u can go in person and cry out, please start making one or two
    5) Most importantly, develop thick skin - very hard for me but i m learning it is needed.
    6) learn to ignore as well

1 person likes this.
  6. Anamika99

Anamika99 Gold IL'ite

Also, why r u suspecting ur DH may move them in when he has not talked about it? May be no need to be stressed right now....and she if that is the case.

7. Iamagoodgirl

Iamagoodgirl Platinum IL'ite

Just pack your husbands salary.Take a LIC policy or open recurring in bank so he has less money in hand to spend on them.

1 person likes this.
  8. urenigma

urenigma Senior IL'ite

I just posted a similar problem.. :( believe me I totally understand ur situation - but you know wat..I do not know a solution too..

9. Goahead

Goahead Silver IL'ite

my husband hs now started asking my MIL to opt for volunteer retirement...oh my god, i see where hes is headed. He is getting prepared to move them in...it will begin with moths stay and then will convrt to forever....please pour your thoughts ladies...have you been in any of this situation? what did you do ?