1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Husband left me and baby in India

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by catchaparna, Feb 18, 2015.

1. catchaparna

catchaparna New IL'ite

Hi All,

Writing from INdia ( on a visit from the US)

After a recent quarrel with my MIL and husband in india, he wants me and baby to live with my parents for 6 months and then he would decide if divorce or taking us back to US.

I had to leave my in- laws (FIL expired so it's just MIL who lives in the house) house since they never told me about BIL's family visit from the US ( I never felt as their family member since husband never shares anything and MIL is formal, I always felt uncomfortable and like an outsider among them and in their house). This incident created insecurity in me and not sharing about BILs visit just proved that they don't need me or I don't have any importance in their family. When I asked them why they did not tell me, husband replied " this is not it, there is a lot more to come!".

Orginally we we had plans to celebrate my first and only child's first birthday in india. But this incident never made way for any celebrations.

His brother instead of patching things up, added more to the fuel and asked me to divorce his brother.

( our marriage soured since our baby was 2 months old because my husband felt I did not spend enough time or hosted good enough for his brothers' family visit for naming ceremony back in US. Though I told him I never had any bad intentions , was in my new motherhood obsession, night shifts and day time sleeping with baby. BIL family visited many times before and never had any complains until this one.)

what kind of husband leaves a wife and a 12 month old daughter in India and goes to US ( never knowing if he would come back).

2. HasteRaho

HasteRaho Platinum IL'ite

The kind that clearly shouldn't be making decisions concerning other people's lives, especially with a baby — he sees nothing but himself and his family. Besides, who is he to be positioning himself as the sole "decision-maker" about whether you guys stay married or get a divorce? Did he forget there's two of you (and now three)? Did he forget that you get a say in the matter?

Are you capable of being self-sufficient and supporting your baby?

4 people like this.
  3. catchaparna

catchaparna New IL'ite

He is like " I can't live with you , I will not allow you in my house." He cannot force me to do things according to his terms. All I always asked for is now that we have a baby spend extra time with the baby not for me but for "us- family". He clearly is biased to his family ( and I have no complains) but we also need his attention. He is not satisfied the way I am with in- laws, I talk less by nature and can never ever give them as much love or attention as he does because after all I know them for the last 3 yrs and not like my parents who gave me birth and raised me.

Not sure what to do now, my dad is devastated and I am not sure how to convince my husband and make him understand that he is not a bachelor and has a family to care of. I want to go back to the US and get back to working and have my child attend a day-care.

4. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Op, what's your visa status? Can you work of you go back?

Your husband does sound terribly immature.

Use these 6 months to your advantage. If you can, find a good counsellor in India for yourself. It will help you clear your head. Be hopeful and positive, exude energy and have a good time with your parents and child now. Assure them and yourself that everything will turn out well (eitherway) for you and your child. find courses you can do that would help your find a job.

Then decide what you want to do about your marriage. i think you should take a call. If you choose to live with your husband insist that you both need to get some marital counselling.

sindmani, catchaparna and sokanasanah like this.
  5. Sivasakthigopi

Sivasakthigopi Gold IL'ite

Hi,
    I understood your feelings!
    If you know any friends in US or if you have any Job offers in US visit first along with your parents. And Left them and kid in your friends home. And you visit your home. If your husband ask her to went out, inform him this is US not india. You try job and work. Make home for your parents! and Contact any ladies association there. Talk with them and ask them to help you. Try to find any lawyer. If your husband shouts you just inform him, i wont give divorce. If i wants to give divorce means i need some months time and you must come with me and stay with me like this. ask money! this is only for shake. Just blackmail him. If you separated your hubby from his brother and mother, everything will be fine!

May be they wish to arrange second marriage for him. Wake up and Keep your husband with you! Ladies life is not gents shirt. be courage. Your child need father!

1 person likes this.
  6. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

@catchaparna - Did you see it coming before? Did the divorce topic come out of blue? Are these the only reasons? You said you left ILs house in India because of secret not told to you.
    You went to your house angrily because they did not tell you BILs had visited India?
    So you husband went back to US without talking to you.
    I think this is just half story.

No man in this senses will just leave his wife and BABY in India just because she is not hosting this guests right and not loving ILs very much.
    I know sometimes with lot of pressure at home, its good to have time off and in US, with no relatives or family around its gets really suffocating sometimes.

I would say -
    Think through. You have few months now. Think what went wrong, what do you want now? you want to live in US?

Do not call him for sometime and let him think about it and call you. Then you both can decide.
    If you think you want to stay in India, look for jobs.

1 person likes this.
  7. dsmenon

dsmenon Gold IL'ite

You said you are working. What visa are you on? Would your employer let you take these many days off?

8. catchaparna

catchaparna New IL'ite

I am not working since pregnancy ( been an yr and a half now). I have a green card.

9. catchaparna

catchaparna New IL'ite

My husband is planning to go back this month, we are not on talking terms. He arranged a meeting with his elders twice, just to point me wrong and as a useless wife. All talks lead to more chaos and he then decided to leave me here in India with baby.

We we did have arguments in the past on and off and he not even caring for the baby and the decision to leave us here came as a shocker. I always thought though we visit india may be things will sort out.

Reasons for this decision are as you guessed, hosting his family not upto his expectations. And no other reason ( of course he brings out a diary every time we have talks with elders to read out my mistakes ( yes, he notes down every detail) and " so and so date you did this and that ). I couldn't believe when he first took out the notes , no family runs on a theory basis.

I get a call everyday from his aunt or uncle or someone from his side, curious to know what happened or with some suggestions and advice. Sick of these calls - I dont have to talk to so many of them or explain myself. All I have to do is to respond to my husband calls and just two of us take decisions.

I feel it's time I get back to work ( not sure india or US) and all this is taking away the joy of spending precious days with my 12 month old. Sad he does not realize the importance of first few years of our daughter. No brother / SIL/ MIL, Aunt or uncle that he is talking to today will come forward if anything happens nor they can't give us back the lost time I'm these petty issues.

10. Shina

Shina Gold IL'ite

He is acting like a jerk demanding divorce over such a trivial issue even when there is a child in picture. He is mean to put you through such emotional trauma and for not considering his little daughter's well being. You need to think hard if you want to spend your remaining life with such a person.

These could even be empty divorce threats merely designed to intimidate you so you do as he wishes. Don't try to persuade him to take you back. He will only get worse if he knows your desperation.

I think your topmost priority should be becoming independent. You need to decide where you want to pursue your career, here or in US. Can you go back to US and pursue your career there independent of him? Or do you feel it will be easier here with your parent's support and this will also give you more time to spend with your child.

And his family members must most probably be passing on whatever you speak with them to him. So be very careful in what u say. Once in a while you can use this to your advantage if you wish. Convey your thoughts to him via them until he starts communicating with you.

all the best