1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Husband Is Not Talking Because I Fell Sick

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by anitalovesyou, Jul 7, 2018.

1. anitalovesyou

anitalovesyou Silver IL'ite

Husband loves to go out, took an office leave to go out somewhere nearby. But unfortunately, I suddenly fell sick, so much that I am kind of bed ridden. I thought I would get some help from him, and felt relaxed that at least he is there with me.But he is all frustrated now, because he could not go out to enjoy, and said it would have been better if he went to office and used it productively, rather than wasting the day staying at home ! I was shocked when I heard these words from his mouth, I don’t know what to feel like, whether I should feel sad, or angry, or what....... Now he is not talking with me ! Has this kind of situation ever happened with you ? What did you do ? If not, what would you do, if this kind of situation ever happened with you ?

2. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Your husband is behaving like a spoiled brat. If he's not talking to you let him be. Don't run after him. If he wanted to he could have canceled his leave and gone to work. Make something nice for yourself and take care.

samayal, joylokhi, Sunshine04 and 4 others like this.
  3. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

I second this totally.

4. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

You are sick n bed ridden n he's throwing a tantrum about you ruining his fun instead of using this time to take care of you.

Maybe you should use this opportunity to remind him that taking care of a sick spouse is part of the marital duty n that he's a human too n whenever he falls sick or becomes old n grey, he's gona be at your mercy n now you know how to treat him, thanks to him. Maybe that will put some sense of reality into him.

anitalovesyou and shravs3 like this.
  5. Tamrakshar

Tamrakshar Platinum IL'ite

Don't take these remarks very seriously. These are casual remarks that most men often make. The important point was he didn't shy away from his responsibility. So, be a sport!

anitalovesyou and kkrish like this.
  6. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Yes, your husband's remark is very hurtful and uncalled for, especially when you were not responsible for falling sick. However, we do not know under what context, or circumstances, he said that.

This happened very recently in my life:
    The past month, after my husband's surgery, I was taking care of his special meals and making him comfortable. This took a hit on my regular schedule, such as exercise and even my own meals.
    Very tiring my days - mostly mental fatigue - due to lack of exercise and improper meals.

My husband's fault in any of this? No.

Just last week while I just sat down to check in IL my husband went on to discuss World cup soccer.
    I was so frustrated that I am not given even this "me" time and blurted out something similar to what your husband did.

(@Tamrakshar not just men, even I made an uncalled for remark.)

Did you at any time tell him that you felt bad that his plans were ruined? If yes, and if he still sulks, give him time to get over it.

If he goes low, you go high. Show that you are above these petty grievances, shed your ego and talk to him after a reasonable time, say a week or two. If it will help, once again mention that you feel bad about him missing out on the outing.

There should be no ego between man and wife.

Open heartfelt communication is the key to building a good marriage. It is a lot of work, and sometimes unpleasant also. But it has to be done.

If you develop a "he hurt me" "he is mean" train of thinking, and wallow in self-pity, only resentment will grow and will not solve the problem. To solve the problem, make him think where he went wrong without openly placing blame.

I second @Tamsrakshar's comment
    Look at the forest, do not count the trees.

Best wishes.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
  7. Tamrakshar

Tamrakshar Platinum IL'ite

Awesome analysis and great understanding of the issue Kamala ji! I agree with you completely.

kkrish likes this.
  8. Parry22

Parry22 Silver IL'ite

I'm sorry you felt sick. Hope you feel better soon. Take care of yourself.
    Your husband showing no empathy towards you when you need it the most since you are sick, this not acceptable. I would agree with above users who are saying he is behaving like a spoiled brat. His words were harsh and his behaviour was rude. But since you are not kids in a on-and-off relationship, you are mature adults in a committed marriage, i suggest you clearly tell him how you feel - tell him clearly his behavior is not appropriate. And how would he feel if she behaved the same when he gets sick.
    Over thinking on such small things and individual statements made by your husband in the heat of the moment will spoil your mood and your relationship. If such statements are made by your husband scarcely, i would suggest let it slide.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
    anitalovesyou and kkrish like this.
  9. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Is he always so rude and inconsiderate?

Sometimes taking care of a sick person for a long time makes one irritated.....but for someone to get irritated in a day is just being a jerk.

Not talking to someone because she got sick is just heartless.

Don't let this pass.
    Calmly ask him why he is not talking to you?
    Ask him if this is how he punishes people for falling sick?
    Tell him his behavior is heartless and disappointing.
    Let him feel the shame.

Sometime people have to be told or else they feel they can do anything and it can pass of as normal behavior.
    Give him something to think about his behavior.

Get well soon.

Brevity, anitalovesyou and joylokhi like this.
  10. anitalovesyou

anitalovesyou Silver IL'ite

@ashneys, I have already told him that !
    @kkrish, @yellowmango both your answers are contradicting each other, and both seem correct !
    Anyways, I do agree that communication is very important. So we had a cool minded conversation, and I told him what hurt me and why, and how we can make this marriage more beautiful. It was a heartfelt discussion from both sides, and he went to the other room to get something.
    After sometime I moved with great pain to the other room to check what is keeping him for so long, and found him fast asleep peacefully !:BangHead: :confundio1:

Brevity and kkrish like this.