1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Husband Has No Fixed Timing

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by star90new, Jun 4, 2018.

1. star90new

star90new Bronze IL'ite

Hello ladies,
    Now there is another issue. Though not serious its irritating.
    My husband comes and goes as he pleases. He stays over at hotels on other cities and comes home as he wishes. He sometimes says hes working from home and later leaves for work at 11am. At times he says he has to go early at 5 am and stays back at home. Some of the days he doesnt come home at night saying it hard for him to drive back from the other city. Other city is usually 3 to 5hrs far. Same with his eating habits.He doesnt eat on time nor does he eat three times a day. Some days he eats a lot and other days he eats very less like maybe a salad. I am getting irritated. What to do?

2. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

How about his colleagues ? Do they have similar schedule ? I understand sometimes it is hard to drive back home after long day of work. Can he hire someone to drive him back ? Is it possible to move closer to work ?

star90new likes this.
  3. star90new

star90new Bronze IL'ite

They don’t have to go to other cities.
    Except for him all others have office jobs.
    I am worried about his health. He eats from out almost all the days. He cant hire anyone as his time is not fixed. Can’t book taxi as he can’t leave his car behind and pay for taxi twice. Once in a while its okay. He has to travel 3 or 4 times a week.

He stays in hotel as his company pays hotel bill at times.They have a budget. Moving towards work is no option because he has to drive to other cities.

My husband is not ready to take tiffin boxes as he says only kids take tiffin boxes and adults eat out. He says he feels ashamed to carry lunch bag as everyone else in his office buys food from out.

4. poovai

poovai Platinum IL'ite

Not sure, how can you influence him? With his life style you are describing, maximum may be another 10 years? After that, his body will take a toll on him.

Our body parts and mind have limitation /built-in processing duration, it depends how we can use them effectively.

May be fix an appointment to see a doctor and let him explain how fast his health can be deteriorating with his travel / eating habits.

Sleep deprivation and they way he drives around - is not a good combination.

My DH traveled almost 15 years in his prime, every week for international meetings... enjoyed his hype in marketing, fancy hotel, food, cabs and, someone else is doing the same job. But, the traveling took a toll on him - ended up having sever kidney issues and chronic cough. The asthma / bronchitis issues made him to choose stay "at home" assignment. He took 2-year treatments to become stable, now he is on endless list of meds, for rest of his life. He didn't have any sleeping issues, one of those can sleep anywhere / any time, the moment he hits the pillow.

Most friends envied his travel assignment job. Now, whose is suffering? Did he listen to the doctor or me? Some will not listen, unless suffer and feel the pain.

It is the nature of the job and its hype.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
    star90new, Needtobestrong and shravs3 like this.
  5. star90new

star90new Bronze IL'ite

I don't know what to do. He is already having stomach issues since few years .He is having this even before marriage and he blames it on his heredity , on my cooking , his laziness to exercise, his moms cooking and his slow metabolism. His mom scolds him but that has no affect on him. He lies to his mom and finds excuses .
    I am very scared. I tried packing food for him but he wont take anything with him saying it will spoil or will say that he is not a school boy. He is working in a multinational company and there are few Indians there.He says all the food I give him is smelly . I ask him to take fruits but he is not ready to carry it with him. I tried several things like granola bars , nuts and sandwiches.'

My husband also travels outside and stays over for 4 days to a week , but only once or twice a month.
    so 99% of his food is from outside. He already had slight cholesterol. Since he doesn't eat on time and wastes food even my eating habits are getting affected. His friends also say that they wish they get this job.

6. Needtobestrong

Needtobestrong Platinum IL'ite

I agree..continuous travel, driving, outside food, irregular sleep and food timings are very harmful in the long run..those who are in their twenties and early thirties may take it easy as they are still young but the effect is seen in the forties and fifties..better to take a job that's slightly more stable rather than to end up taking a career break due to poor health..

poovai and star90new like this.
  7. star90new

star90new Bronze IL'ite

How can I convince my husband? He says his job has less opportunity without travelling. He says almost all succesful people travel and dont do desk type jobs. . How bad is travelling out of country for a week in a month. Is driving for more than 3 hours a day bad for health. According to my husband most people in metros drive 3 hours plus.

8. Priya16

Priya16 IL Hall of Fame

How long have you been married? Do you know before marriage his job style?
    sometimes there is no simple solution for these type issues.
    I would suggest you focus yourself. Your husband has to realize himself and at one point.

Your push and worry won't help him to realize anything. Do you have kids?If you don't and planning then have a long conservation with your husband. Don't give him kids just like that. Tell him that you can't run kid without making his lifestyle changes.

9. star90new

star90new Bronze IL'ite

no kids yet. we are planning for kids next year. I have said that. He tells me about people who stay separate for years and the wife manages, work , kids and home alone. How can I let him realize after he gets sick?
    Now itself he is not well. His job was similar to now but a bit less.

10. poovai

poovai Platinum IL'ite

Nothing much, you can do, other than get him to see a doctor (if possible, an Indian doc) to asses his health condition. Go along with him to see his doctor and tell the doc, your concern.

Having cholesterol is not a good thing, it slowly builds up to cause stroke at young age. Cholesterol issue starts as early as in 30's, better to get started on meds, soon. Cholesterol / BP works together as twins, to cause serious health risk.

Not everybody can handle the stress and a few can thrive to do such a job. You should be proud of him, your DH seems to be one of those 'smarty' kind, he must be very good at what he is doing.

When my DH traveled for few hour meetings around the world, What was I doing? Working, raising our son, focusing on his school, keeping my boy busy with activities and entertaining him with his school friends. Time flew by, my son is an adult now! My DH is very jealous when my son talks to me about his work / personal life and we talk, laugh together for hours. My son is very respectful, looks up to his dad / envy his accomplishment / asks for his advice etc but their a missing bond / closeness between them.

That's life, go with the flow. Don't analyze it too much. Be strong to accept the reality.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018