1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Husband calls India everyday

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by merigold, Jan 10, 2014.

1. merigold

merigold New IL'ite

We are married for 15 years and still having relationship problem mainly because of MIL. She is very clever, controlling, possessive and manipulative. My husband calls his mom everyday consistently like morning ritual. If he doesn't call she will call from India. We have vonage and he used to call her from home in the beginning. Now he got reliance account and calls her from cell phone immediately after dropping off kids to school. Even Saturday and Sunday they talk for an hour when I am not at home. He is so obsessive about her. Even when we visit India, he doesn't like to go anywhere. He just like to stay home and chat with her. They just talk like two ladies. They know that I don't like it and they deliberately does it more and more. We have fought about this issue again and again. Recently he accused me as useless and jealous person. I feel terrible and hopeless. I don't have a career and struggling to find a job. He says I will never get any job. She is planning to visit us in summer and I am already feeling miserable. She is such a drama queen. I can not imagine what I will go through. I am so depressed and can not focus on job search also. Please give your input.

2. coolwinds

coolwinds Platinum IL'ite

after so many years, this is not something that will change. is your MIL living alone in india?

shift your focus and attention to the job search, hope you have something by the time she is here. if not, line up some volunteer jobs, stay busy and out of each other's company for as much as possible!

1 person likes this.
  3. merigold

merigold New IL'ite

It happened again. When I was thinking life is ok and not that bad. She(MIL) has so much control over our life, even though she is living in India. Her one phone call is enough to spoil the balance of my everyday life. Yesterday my dh could not call her as usual, because he had well check up appointment early morning. So this lady called repeatedly in the morning and she kept on calling in the evening.
    My DH returned her call when we got back home at night. She told him she couldn't sleep, she worried about him etc. After the phone episode, we argued late night. My DH is very nice otherwise. Just one phone call is enough to see his other side. She expect her adult sons to spin around her. Otherwise she keep reminding them. I think she deliberately does this to spoil our life. I can not convince my DH. He is very protective of his mother. For him she is the incarnation of God. He does not have the habit of doing regular pooja but very devoted to his mother.
    Do you think it is normal to call us 7-8 times a day for missing his routine call? I am still upset and angry .

4. parvathi1980

parvathi1980 Platinum IL'ite

Your husband has spent a major part of his life following this routine. It is not going to change anytime soon. His mom seems to be clinging to her son.

Change your perspective if you cannot change the other person. He will not admit it but talking to a parent for so long everyday must be a pain for him as well. After all he also has a life. You say he is ok otherwise. Just take this as a part of life and stop fighting over it.

1 person likes this.
  5. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Dear Op ...how is your relationship with your family? If his calling irritates you...try calling your family at the same time. You need not call just your mom...spread it around. Call both parents,siblings,cousins,friends. If he does not object to that ...then you really can't do much. If he does object to your calling your family everyday.....then he is being unfair and needs to be told that.

2 people like this.
  6. Brevity

Brevity Gold IL'ite

It is understandable to a certain extent because he has called almost everyday in the past 15 years. After your fight, his mom has become a caring person who just wants to hear her loving son's voice and you have become the cruel lady who comes between a worrying old mother and her son.

Let go of this shortcoming of your husband. Afterall, we all have our faults. Use your sense of humour to cope with the daily calls. Focus more on finding a job that you want and your general happiness and well being than these calls. It is not going to change, at least with you cribbing about it.

7. merigold

merigold New IL'ite

parvathi11980, as you said I have to change my perspective. It is painful to
    keep fighting for ever. My dh enjoys his calls and he is very adament about it.

yellowmango, I am not clingy like him and call my parents once a week, rarely call my siblings/cousins. He will not object to any of my calls unless I tell him to reduce the frequency of his calls.

Brevity, He used to call once a week before. It has become like this since last year. It is not just the calls that is bothering, all the things associated with that.
    We talked about it and now he is ok with calling alternative days. But that lady is not able to accept it. As you said, I have to shift my focus instead of being consumed with this routine.
    All the time my visit to India or her visit to here brings so much anxiety.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
  8. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

hugsmileyHugs dear. For many years I used to have nightmares before the visit. I used to literally wake up screaming because I used to have scary dreams of my house full of snakes. My husband had to put me to sleep by hugging me really hard and keeping lights on. I realized it after many visits that these nightmares precede the yearly visits. Thankfully it stopped a few years back.

1 person likes this.
  9. merigold

merigold New IL'ite

Thank you yellowmango. Tell me about it, am already having nightmares.

10. Sneheth

Sneheth Bronze IL'ite

I get nervous from the day my husband speaks abt traveling to India and booking flight.
    From when we arrive at hyd airport only my mil picks and blames for very silly things.
    If she comes here I will try to jump from my residence which my husband won't allow.