1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Husband and Wife have different surnames...Surname of baby in Birth Certificate?

Discussion in 'Infants' started by priyankanath, Feb 23, 2011.

1. priyankanath

priyankanath Gold IL'ite

Hello ladies:hiya,

I havent changed my surname post marriage. I am Priyanka Nath and DH is Dipanjan Chakrabarti.
    I am 10 weeks pregnant. In one of the earlier doctor visit my doc mentioned that when they release the child from hospital after delivery with all the birth related documents the baby name will be mentioned as "Baby of Priyanka Nath".
    Now i want my child to have my husband's surname that is Chakrabarti.
    Just wanted to ask that with the above mentioned documents when i apply for the Birth Certificate, can i name my child with my husband's surname? If so can anyone please mention the procedure? Or should i change my name to Priyanka Chakrabarti in hospital records when i get admitted to the hospital? I dont want to change my surname officially as in Pan Card or Passport etc.

Please ladies help me out of this confusion and tell me a method.

Thanks,
    Priyanka

2. Brinda1

Brinda1 Bronze IL'ite

You can give the baby whatever family name you want; it does not have to be the same as yours. This is under Indian law.
    Does that answer your question?

3. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

Hi OP,

My son was born in Pune and I too have not changed my surname. I am not sure what hospital sends for Birth certificate but they include full name of father too.

When they issue the Birth cetificate - we have to apply and will have to give the name of the baby.

The birth certificate has only first name of the baby , father's full name ,mothers first name.

Just find out at your local office. Or to keep your mind at peace, Just change the surname in Hospital card.

Cheers

4. priyankanath

priyankanath Gold IL'ite

What i wanted to say was......the hospital gives out a certificate or something mentioning the time and place of birth. Doc said on that certificate they will mention the baby as "Baby of Priyanka Nath". And that document i guess is required to be submitted when u apply for Birth certificate. Just wanted to know whether that would create any problem when i would want my baby name have the father's surname??
    I am new in Mumbai so i am not aware where is the local office and all in my area:hide:

Can you tell me the procedure please since your son was born in Pune?

Thanks,
    Priyanka

Last edited: Feb 24, 2011
  5. priyankanath

priyankanath Gold IL'ite

Thanks Brinda. Logically speaking even i thought the same that the parents should have the right to choose the baby surname. But when the doc talked about the hospital certificate which contains the time of birth etc will name the baby as "Baby of Priyanka Nath" and that document is required for applying for birth certificate.....i was confused as to whether my surname would create any problem when i declare my baby should have my DH's surname in birth certificate.
    If u are aware....can you please tell me the procedure for applying for birth certificate in india?

Thanks,
    Priyanka

6. namrathamorab

namrathamorab Gold IL'ite

Hi Priyanka,
    As a matter of fact your surname shall have no impact on the child's surname. The documents that are made at a later stage in the name of your child will only accommodate for the surname issue. The birth certificate is only for the reference of the date of birth and nothing else.

7. priyankanath

priyankanath Gold IL'ite

Thanks for the reply namrathamorab
    Does that mean the Birth Certificate doesnt contain the Baby's surname??

8. rosary

rosary Gold IL'ite

the hospital gives the name of the baby as Baby of Priyanka Nath , at the time of discharge ...
    it will have mothers name and fathers name in it too...
    when you apply for a birth certificate you can give the name of your choice with the surname ( which will be the fathers name , in most instances ).
    most of the baby's names are not decided on the day of the birth , so hospital mentions the name as baby of so and so... where as a birth certificate is made at a later date may be after few weeks or months .

the name in the birth certificate (Municipal Corporation's office ) does matter , as it is a very important document ...

dont get confused with the name given in the hospital certificate , with that of the birth certificate . applying for a birth certificate with the name of your choice is totally independent of the name mentioned in the hospital certificate .

9. priyankanath

priyankanath Gold IL'ite

Thanks for your reply Rosary:)

10. kirukiri

kirukiri Bronze IL'ite

Priyanka,

Usually hospitals will ask you to fill the name on a document and then submit that document to municipal corporation to register the birth. So, if the document is given to you, you can fill any name you want (if you have decided on the name), else you can leave it blank.

My case was even weird. I didnt change my surname, my husband doesnt use his surname officially and we wanted baby to have his surname :D
    so now we three go by three different names in the records :hide:
    I m hoping my husband will start using his surname officially one day, so that we have some normalcy around!